How come Boxers always make weight?

Its because for some reason MMA fighters are massive weight bullies they want to have a massive size and muscle advantage and kill themselves just to have a 30 pound weight advantage

I think MMA fighters should just focus on technique and stop power lifting for size, work on skill, a lot of the best grapplers were not monster muscled guys look at John Smith one of the greatest wrestlers in NCAA looked like a twig but was so good in his division and didn't cut much weight.

If fighters fought at their natural weight division and focused on technique it would create better fights and make the skill level much higher.
i have always been saying this. i really believe it would make fights a lot better.

Last edited:
What is the main reason we dont hear about many missed weight cuts in Boxing?

The last one I remember was that Gervonta Davis dude, but he missed by like 2 pounds.

Are MMA fighters just not as professional? Are there not enough weight classes in MMA?
Boxer miss weight all the time lol. People lose belts on scales all the time in boxing.

I think because boxers start out at a low weight and increase slightly as they age since there are more weight classes. Most don't leave higher divisions to avoid guys their size or bigger..or go to a lower weight class to have an advantage

1 word, WRESTLERS!!! The big weight cut you see in mma is because there are so much wrestlers in the sport & they all are use to cutting massive amounts of weight as size & strength is a huge advantage.
Exactly.

wrasslers are to blame for this unhealthy weight cutting epidemic.

The last one I remember was that Gervonta Davis dude, but he missed by like 2 pounds.

Are MMA fighters just not as professional? Are there not enough weight classes in MMA?
Hold this L for thinking boxers always make weight

Anyone who says it's bc there are more weight classes is pretty much wrong.

12 rounds. U don't cut as much in boxing as in mma

I don't understand the "More weight classes" argument.

I mean yeah, more fighters would find their ideal weight class but, some fighters would also go like "Fuck it, If I can make X weight, I could make X-5 as well." so the extreme weight cuts would still be there.

How would more weight classes prevent MMA fighters from cutting as much weight as possible? It can't.

Boxers don't need to cut as much weight because the weight isn't as much of an advantage in pure striking, so they don't.
Was coming in to say this. No sport has weight cutting like MMA. Even wrestling got a handle on weight cutting.

Boxing has more weight classes, make more money, and don't have to worry about a grappling size advantage so more cut less

In Boxing there are weight classes like every 5-7lbs apart, MMA is like every 10-15lbs, don't need to say much else really

Because you don't grapple in boxing so weight is less of a factor.

Also, Grant is buried in Grant's tomb

Nobody is buried in Grant’s tomb.

Grant is entombed there, but not buried.

MMA guys cut a lot more, boxers usually move up in weight during their career, not the other way around it.

Also bigger fines, in big fights they go by contracted weight, not weight class and 1lb allowance like in MMA, most if not all big boxing fights are title fights anyway, so they cant really miss because of that as well, but there is the chance to sign to fight lets say for a middle weight title fight which are 160lbs but sign for a certain weight below that, and put fine for every missed lb, its more expensive for big boxers to miss weight, and huge weight cut is not as common in boxing, they do miss weight on some fights tho.

MMA needs to change the weight classes to ten pound increments.

like with wrestling.

Wrestling is similar to boxing with their weight classes

Whats weird is the lower weight classes in boxing there have been fighters who fought as low as 122 pounds at 5 foot 9 who walked around at 165 pounds like Erik Morales.

These Mexican boxers are the biggest size bullies in the sport many of them will fight in those really low weights but walk around 30 to 40 pounds more.

boxers make more money and can afford to do it properly.

It would certainly help guys like some of the ones you mentioned who are just slightly too big for the weight class under them and too small for the one they're in.

Guys like Till would still try to cut as much as possible to get an advantage tho.
I mean everyone tries to cut the maximum amount of weight possible. but at 175 I believe he wouldn't miss weight
What would 165 do for Till?
well, I thought it was implied. with 165, you move 170 to 175

They cut less in boxing, they understand the importance of cardio and value it more.

I mean everyone tries to cut the maximum amount of weight possible. but at 175 I believe he wouldn't miss weight

well, I thought it was implied. with 165, you move 170 to 175
If he's cutting the same amount of weight then the same risk is there. I get what you're saying tho.

Besides the common itrms listed many times, I’m surprised that it isn’t acknowledged that the crazy weight-cutting culture came to MMA via fighters with collegiate wrestling pedigree.

cause it not a big thing in boxing ive asked a couple about it.

big weight cutting only seens to happen in wrestling and mma. and im not walking about wwe wrestling.

I mean everyone tries to cut the maximum amount of weight possible.

Definitely not true. Guys like Frankie Edgar, Gunnar Nelson, Cerrone at WW, Rashad at LHW, BJ Penn, etc. cut hardly any weight.

Back