how come bjj often ruin's people's social/sex life??

Balance, my friend... train like a madman for a while. Get some hardware. Then, date/find a girl...train 2-3 x per week.
I was able to do it, but your point is a good one. Jiu Jitsu for some goes beyond passion and becomes obsession.
Tomorrow, I have practice 11-1. Then I'll watch adcc till 5:30. Then, I'm heading to a dance / sleep over camping party. Some beautiful women will be there ready to dance and look at stars.
The good life is available...
Fucking awesome post. Have fun!

Yeah I also think social lives have changed. Not necessarily for the better. I love to Netflix and chill but the dating game has changed big time due to online apps, and not for the better as a whole IMO.

Another thing. Loneliness is a huge problem these days, especially affecting middle aged men. Even if a middle aged man's friends are only through BJJ and nothing else I still think that's a net positive. I've never had any time in my life where more of my peers right now seem lonely and floating adrift. One of my close friends since 1998 hasn't had a girlfriend in 4 years and probably hasn't been laid in that amount of time either. he has like 2 or 3 friends and he's a really good guy, but insecure and painfully shy.

So even if he fit the description of someone you mentioned in your post then I'd say he'd still be in a much better spot than he is right now.

You know your shit when it comes to girls. I remember that whiskey and chokes podcast episode. Good shit man. Something on that episode actually helped me hook up with a girl I grew up with that always wanted to get with but we were always with other people and it never happened
More that I finally figured out what type girls can handle being a coaches wife/gf and which can’t lol

Its not just a BJJ thing. But I've yet to find a chick who can survive camp. Then again I have the misfortune of always finding cray

A lot of this is true.

BJJ guys tend to go all in and it's really cringe worthy when they start talking about lifestyle shit.

It's fun and can give you a feeling of escape and meaning but you gotta do other shit and think about other shit.

Balance, my friend... train like a madman for a while. Get some hardware. Then, date/find a girl...train 2-3 x per week.
I was able to do it, but your point is a good one. Jiu Jitsu for some goes beyond passion and becomes obsession.
Tomorrow, I have practice 11-1. Then I'll watch adcc till 5:30. Then, I'm heading to a dance / sleep over camping party. Some beautiful women will be there ready to dance and look at stars.
The good life is available...

you are a boss..sounds awesome

for me tomorrow is go to a TERRIBLE NAGA event where I will coach probably 40+ students, unfortunately skip ADCC, then the crowning moment of the day is going out for dinner with my awesome girlfriend

usually saturdays for me is teach classic the late morning to early afternoon, train till late afternoon, then chill with my girl

basically, I'm bothered that I won't be training tomorrow

BJJ greatly expanded my social circle. When you hit your 30's, it gets harder and harder to make friends that aren't your wife's friends' husbands.

you are a boss..sounds awesome

for me tomorrow is go to a TERRIBLE NAGA event where I will coach probably 40+ students, unfortunately skip ADCC, then the crowning moment of the day is going out for dinner with my awesome girlfriend

usually saturdays for me is teach classic the late morning to early afternoon, train till late afternoon, then chill with my girl

basically, I'm bothered that I won't be training tomorrow
Use BJJ in the sack.

2 for the price of one. Work on triangles and turtle control

A lot of this is true.

BJJ guys tend to go all in and it's really cringe worthy when they start talking about lifestyle shit.

It's fun and can give you a feeling of escape and meaning but you gotta do other shit and think about other shit.

The thing is it's true for a lot of sports. Ski bums, rock climbing bums, alpineering bums... A friend of mine used to be on the national kayaking team. When I commented on how it must have been a cool life, he said "not really, you make 20K a year, you spend 4-7 hours training your ass of and then you spend the rest of the time playing WOW because you're too exhausted for anything else".

Newsflash: BJJ isn't that special.

I think some people just have personalities where they dive into things head first and just spend all their time doing that activity. The activity can vary. Personally, I have more sex now than when I was playing World of Warcraft for at least 30 hours a week. This is probably because I have more free time now.

The thing is it's true for a lot of sports. Ski bums, rock climbing bums, alpineering bums... A friend of mine used to be on the national kayaking team. When I commented on how it must have been a cool life, he said "not really, you make 20K a year, you spend 4-7 hours training your ass of and then you spend the rest of the time playing WOW because you're too exhausted for anything else".

Newsflash: BJJ isn't that special.
Sounds exactly like combat sports

You start out as pro and if you make $1000 (600 to show, 1k to win) a fight, its like hitting the jackpot.

Lack of sex and social life is a choice. It has nothing to do with bjj.

Back when I used to train 3x a week and watch instructionals and comp footage around the clock, I still found time to travel, get laid, go to hip hop shows, etc.

A super easy way is to invite people to your place. Make it a fun place to hang out. Good music, good food, decently decorated.

Having kick backs or game nights at your place is a super easy way to have a social life and sex life. Also, learn how to cook. That's a big plus.

Come to think of it, I think that's how it worked out for me since I was so busy. My spot was the hangout spot so the party always came to me. Since it was considered a fun spot to hang out, girls would come over all the time. After the club. Just to hang out. To sleep off their hangovers. Sometimes I'd cook for them. Sometimes they'd cook for me. Sometimes I'd just be in my room chilling while a few people hung out in the living room. Sometimes when I was hanging by myself a girl would sneak away from the crowd and sneak into my room. If you have an open door policy and know how to entertain, the party comes to you and life is much easier.

But enough reminiscing. Social life and sex life are a choice. Unless you're ugly. Then it's a struggle. But if you're in reasonably good shape and not poor, it's not hard to make a social life happen. Anyone missing out is missing out because they want to.

simple. because if you train really hard then you dont have energy to fuck properly

some very good points have been made by you guys,

but i do have to add, i have done other sports and know people
who have a whole variety of things and this "bjj lifestyle" is not very common to others.

also about going out, it does not have to be to a club or another place for that matter,
anywhere where your social and meet people counts(watching fights with your friends does not count)

also of course when someone gets to compete in any sport the social life drops off
but the problem with bjj people is that many live this odd lifestyle when they are not
completive or some some cases not even in good shape.

the social life aspect to me is simple and it has to do very little with actual bjj but
the lifestyle

if a cross fit guy mainly hangs out with cross-fit people from his class on a weekend
he will watch the cross fit games and chill with his crew of 15, 8 guys and 7 girls for example

a bjj guy does the same and watches the ufc or adcc etc
his crew from class is 14 guys and 2 women....

see why the bjj needs the change in social life more then the cross-fit guy...

also a big thing which is needs to be addressed a bit is the joe rogan thing,
it's werid when you bring up any topic and the response is " well on joe rogan this and that"

yes bjj has helped a lot of people to defend themselves and in some cases be social
but the way bjj lifestyle is very different from many people live in other sports...some good and some bad but no need pretend everyone else is living the same way....just talking to many people from other athletic fields and you will see a difference.

so yeah going to a club and getting hammered all the time is not good for sure
but saying in on every friday night or even some in cases doing the following on even on vacations
is not good too( everyone is out and your sitting in your hotel room listening to robin black breakdowns lol)

both extremes suck lol

but long story short
a bjj guy needs leave his bjj nest often for the simple fact that

bjj is like 90 percent guys, so if he is single and mainly just hangs out with his
bjj crew, then he will surrounded by 90 percent guys, which will not help chances
with women lol

I think a lot of guys think of jiu Jitsu as their girlfriend. They dedicate themselves to it, dream about it, think it's their true love.
My ex wife said that jiu Jitsu was "the other woman." She couldn't really handle it. She was jealous that I cared so much about it. Our social circles had not one jiu Jitsu athlete. She was hoping that I would just find another hobby.
Long story short, the marriage ended, I dove deep into the jiu Jitsu lifestyle. Women came along for the ride.
The past ten years have been the best years of my life.

I think a lot of guys think of jiu Jitsu as their girlfriend. They dedicate themselves to it, dream about it, think it's their true love.
My ex wife said that jiu Jitsu was "the other woman." She couldn't really handle it. She was jealous that I cared so much about it. Our social circles had not one jiu Jitsu athlete. She was hoping that I would just find another hobby.
Long story short, the marriage ended, I dove deep into the jiu Jitsu lifestyle. Women came along for the ride.
The past ten years have been the best years of my life.
That's true. The last 3 women for some reason thought I was cheating, they didn't believe that training twice a day while working was real, and thought another chick was there. I'm up at 5:30 for S&C, and night training from 6-10 PM. I get home at 11pm, and wiped. Not to mention when in camp, can't exactly eat junk food and drink so that capped off most social gatherings.

Then cut week comes along and I'm an emotional trainwreck ready to murder everyone in sight. At the end of the day when I think about it, its a selfish sport. What really drove them off was "Its good, the fight's in 2 weeks, after that I can relax and whatever"... then on the day of the event, I get told there's another one coming up in a month, so I end up doing another camp back to back.

i made the fellowing thread on another site and got a lot of feedback, some negative and some more logical....here it is what do you guys think???

before i start this thread let me state, i love bjj and have been doing it for over 10 years, and i have other other martial arts like boxing, and also some muay thai and mma training....

now to the point

1. they have no social life outside of bjj, the guy wakes up watches technique videos, goes to work, then does bjj class in evening, rolls, etc after class, he talks to some of his buddies from class, goes home smokes weed(i smoke myself and love it, so not the big issue here), watches some matches high, goes to the sleep...this pattern is repeated through the week....no social life outside of bjj, no sex life too because bjj classes are 90 percent dudes...

2. the weekend comes, he meets the same bjj guys(no chicks-no music,no night out) and watches ufc at someone's house has some beers and weed...event ends..they chill for a bit and everyone goes home....none of them went out this weekend, none of them met any new friends or women etc....i must say that brazilian bjj guys do go out and are social, so this issue is not theirs, its bjj guys in north america.

3. many guys i have met in bjj, are single for years and often times sexless too and get less women then average guys for those reasons...

4. the werid thing about joe rogan, they talk about him and his show non stop, he is their source on info mma, politics, drugs, social issues,history and so on....they spend hours a week listening to him instead off actually doing something...and many dont even realize that he has his bias's on issues just the rest of us.

5. many of them have very little interest in life outside of bjj/mma/combat sports, and interact very little with women due to this weird lifestyle, and keep talking about the two girls in their gym and how hot they are meanwhile these girls are just normal average looking chicks

6. the homebody thing, one of my good friends, started training at a new bjj school, and one the first things he hears is a purple belt telling someone..."ohh bro before bjj, i used to go out a lot to clubs or music festivals but now i am more of a homebody...and yes this guy is single lol

7. in boxing and other sports i have been in, yes for sure when completion season comes, everyone cuts down on their social life for plain known reasons but in bjj you have some blue belt who trains 3 times a week bjj and once weights doing this.....

i wanta hear what you guys think, what you agree or disagree with because yes in the last few years i fell into this trap to a big degree....but while i actually am doing more bjj now then ever before i stopped leading this anti social and often quite sexless life...and back normality lol

this is the whole thread but i want to add something......

some guys mentioned that cross-fit people are even more odd
in that they only hang out with cross-fit people and never stop talking about it...
which is true BUT
there is a big difference,
in cross-fit there are as almost as many girls as guy's, while in bjj there
are like 8 guys for 1 every girl....
so guy who hangs out with his cross-fit crew is a different boat, a boat that is not
sausage party and actually has girls with similar interests as him....

Substitute BJJ or MAs with Sherdog or facebook.

so yeah going to a club and getting hammered all the time is not good for sure
but saying in on every friday night or even some in cases doing the following on even on vacations
is not good too( everyone is out and your sitting in your hotel room listening to robin black breakdowns lol)

both extremes suck lol

The bolded sounds terrible!

I hope no one on vacations stays in a hotel watches robin black.

O_O

Its this millennial generation. To much Iphones and instant messaging. They never learn to develop game in real life.

Back