How can you tell if someone is rich?

What they said... Rich folks will dress like crap... They'll drive unimpressive cars, but when it comes to their homes, they will live in nice neighborhoods. The opposite of poor people come to think of it.

This is the most accurate answer!

Truth is, rich people don' give a shit about car or clothes but they love and I mean LOVE expensive property that is secluded or away from other people's house.

I worked security at a building the rich guy owning the pent house wore a basic t shirt and a jean all the time. Car was ok but he adores his view of the city. We also have few family friends living in the expensive part of the town and their car and clothes looks so haggard bit their house and backyard has an epic view of the city.

A lot of people that are born into wealth, trust fund babies, are the ones that buy real expensive houses and cars and live to flaunt their money. Most haven't worked a day in their life.

People who earned their wealth tend to be more conservative with their money so its hard to tell. They understand how hard it is to get there and don't throw their money away so easily.

A lot of people that are born into wealth, trust fund babies, are the ones that buy real expensive houses and cars and live to flaunt their money. Most haven't worked a day in their life.

People who earned their wealth tend to be more conservative with their money so its hard to tell. They understand how hard it is to get there and don't throw their money away so easily.

Good point!

When they have a sherdog account with over 10k posts and likes

Generally one can tell by the schooling of their children.

The richest people I personally know, don't show any signs of overt wealth (beyond living in nice homes).

In my experience, there is a weird relationship between income and demonstrations of wealth:

-When your poor/starting out, you just want money and you just care about paying your bills
-When your established and making a decent living (let's say 6 figures a year), you start enjoying yourself a bit and start treating yourself to the nicer things you previously couldn't afford. This is probably when your going to show most signs of "visible" wealth to others.
-If you ever become legitimately rich (millions in the bank), you don't care what others think, and dress/behave the way you want to. My dad amassed a small fortune during his career, and if you saw him, you think he was borderline homeless. He repairs his own clothes, buys things only on sale, and takes the bus everywhere. He stopped caring how people perceive him.

The mega rich obviously have their own standard that range from the Floyd Mayweathers of the world, to the Warren Buffets.
I have to agree. One of my uncles owns a bunch of property in NYC and has at least 10 million in the bank, but you would never know it. But I will say that the rich people I know in India flaunt it a lot more. Especially kids of those rich families.

In my experience from being an avid tennis player and having had played in a lot of country club type settings. Main thing I notice is people who are rich tend to always want to size up who they're talking to, therefore usually one of their first questions is usually what type of business are you in or what do you do. Rich people tend to want to flock together.

If they haven't asked that, either A: they already assumed you're not well off or they're waiting for the opportunity because they're still on the fence and don't want to be tacky and outright ask.

If they're REALLY rich, chances are they already know

Usually they have a lot of this thing called money. That’s how you can tell.

Very incorrect. People who actually are truly wealthy keep little in their bank account, have an enormous LoC to draw upon and have it paid off at month’s end. They will have their funds in securities, real estate, etc. Why have your money sitting in a bank account doing nothing?

Disagree.

When you can afford to have a significant amount of money doing nothing just for security purposes it means you could be rich.

Cash should form part of any appropriate asset allocation.

Disagree.

When you can afford to have a significant amount of money doing nothing just for security purposes it means you could be rich.

Cash should form part of any appropriate asset allocation.

I agree with the last part but believe you may be misinterpreting how cash allocation works in portfolios or what the term securities actually means in this discussion.

if they are really wealthy, you wont be able to tell unless you go to their house or something
The wealthiest person I ever knew (and he was stupid rich), just wore khaki shorts and t shirts all the time and drove an older truck. He was SUPER generous but never flashy. He never talked money, never made a big deal out of helping people. Just did it quietly.

I agree with the last part but believe you may be misinterpreting how cash allocation works in portfolios or what the term securities actually means in this discussion.

I am confident on the subject. What do you think I am missing?

I am confident on the subject. What do you think I am missing?

Probably how much you utilize for asset allocation in a portfolio in regards to cash when you are actually wealthy, given that is pretty much all you have given thus far. Nobody who is truly wealthy, and I don't just mean like seven figure rich <Lmaoo> are keeping funds in their bank account. You use a LoC that is immediately drawn upon and paid off as inflow comes in. Any money that is just sitting in an account below prime is money that is actually losing you purchasing power.

The forum posters who always tell others "you sound poor" are definitely rich. Why else would they say that!

Back