How can you tell if someone is rich?

I’d say clothes are a good indicator. Not necessarily expensive clothes, but preppy ones. Rich people tend to have that certain sense of style even when they’re dressed in a simple manner.

Haircuts. The rich always go for classic haircuts (unless we’re talking about actors and pro athletes).

No tattoos. No made-up trendy names.

If you meet some dude named Edward, who has a good haircut and wears preppy, well-fitted clothes, chances are that he’s well off.

If you meet some dude named Jaxyn, whos wearing baggy pants, has a buzz cut and a neck tattoo, he’s probably poor.

Haircuts. The rich always go for classic haircuts (unless we’re talking about actors and pro athletes).

Alot of athletes are "new money" so they kinda operate like poor people who just accumulated wealth (with the flossing and frivolous spending).

I agree with your assessment though. If you run into rich doctors outside of the office, they wear lackluster polo shirts and khakis. Very unassuming.

When you have to coordinate all communication through their family office.

if they are really wealthy, you wont be able to tell unless you go to their house or something
Years ago I ended up becoming pretty good friends with my youngest boys football coach.
He always drove a construction company truck, wore khaki shorts, and work boots. He looked like a normal construction worker.....until he invited us over to his main house one day. Turns out he has an ocean front house, ocean front condo, the normal house they live in, 17 rental houses, and he owns a large construction company. You would never be able to tell he had money if you looked at how he dressed or what he wore.

if they are really wealthy, you wont be able to tell unless you go to their house or something

Years ago I ended up becoming pretty good friends with my youngest boys football coach.
He always drove a construction company truck, wore khaki shorts, and work boots. He looked like a normal construction worker.....until he invited us over to his main house one day. Turns out he has an ocean front house, ocean front condo, the normal house they live in, 17 rental houses, and he owns a large construction company. You would never be able to tell he had money if you looked at how he dressed or what he wore.

What they said... Rich folks will dress like crap... They'll drive unimpressive cars, but when it comes to their homes, they will live in nice neighborhoods. The opposite of poor people come to think of it.

You can just say it, "Hey, there's a rich guy." No one really cares though.

I don't think there's a good rule of thumb. The ballingest looking people can be living in a house of credit cards and you'd never know it to look at them.

If you met Warren Buffet would you have any idea of his net worth?

About the only thing I can think of is if their name is on the title of a new Ferrari. Because that company is totally anal about who they'll deign to let buy their cars.

I don't think there's a good rule of thumb. The ballingest looking people can be living in a house of credit cards and you'd never know it to look at them.

If you met Warren Buffet would you have any idea of his net worth?

About the only thing I can think of is if their name is on the title of a new Ferrari. Because that company is totally anal about who they'll deign to let buy their cars.

Wait, they don't sell to just anyone with the money to do so?

I don't know what to tell the rest of you, but I can tell you that as far as ME being able to tell if someone is rich, well we can smell our own kind. Well that and the secret handshake.

Sorry fellas

Wait, they don't sell to just anyone with the money to do so?
Nope. They supposedly vet people to make sure they will represent the brand in a favourable manner. Finances are probably the easiest hurdle to clear in that process.

Nope. They supposedly vet people to make sure they will represent the brand in a favourable manner. Finances are probably the easiest hurdle to clear in that process.

Damn, didn't know that. I mean, why would I, I guess.

Most truly wealthy don't really want people to know about it for the most part. One side of my family has a lot of money and none of them drive Ferraris or anything like that. They do fly private everywhere though.

If your commute from LI to Manhattan consists of flying in on a private helicopter, then you’re likely rich.

If it's a real diamond at the top of his cane, or if his monocle is made by Brever & Assoc., I typically assume he's not just playing dress up and has some capital.

I’m not rich, but I know people that are.

They’re not afraid to show it.

Obviously things like fancy clothes and expensive cars aren't always a good indicator as broke people will purchase them just to floss in front of other broke people, even if they are in debt.

I think sometimes you can look at hobbies.

The richest people I personally know, don't show any signs of overt wealth (beyond living in nice homes).

In my experience, there is a weird relationship between income and demonstrations of wealth:

-When your poor/starting out, you just want money and you just care about paying your bills
-When your established and making a decent living (let's say 6 figures a year), you start enjoying yourself a bit and start treating yourself to the nicer things you previously couldn't afford. This is probably when your going to show most signs of "visible" wealth to others.
-If you ever become legitimately rich (millions in the bank), you don't care what others think, and dress/behave the way you want to. My dad amassed a small fortune during his career, and if you saw him, you think he was borderline homeless. He repairs his own clothes, buys things only on sale, and takes the bus everywhere. He stopped caring how people perceive him.

The mega rich obviously have their own standard that range from the Floyd Mayweathers of the world, to the Warren Buffets.

Back