how can mayweather be the greatest boxer when

i love that a 118-112 Decision deserves a rematch, as well as a fair knockout brought about by an Ortiz headbutt. I came into this thread expecting someone to trot out the Castillo fights or MAYBE the De La Hoya fights, but it turns out that even LESS thought was put into it.

The one thing to remember about this place is that no matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse.

tbf, the Maidana fight was super narrow, and could have been called a draw. I had it 115-113 Mayweather, but it was compounded by the fact that nobody gave Maidana much of a chance. A Rematch was warranted

lol no. maidana put pressure on him and did more than most, but no way was it close to a draw.

Floyd gave rematches to his closest opponents like Castillo and more recently, Maidana.

He embarrassed Pacquiao and baby'd Canelo.
Ortiz was clearly losing and got frustrated and decided to ilegally and intentionally headbutt Floyd. He beat who he needed to beat to stake his claim on the throne of boxing. Veterans, similarly ranked fighters and hot prospects.

You can talk all types of crap about his personal life but one thing you can't discredit Mayweather on is his boxing career. The dude is a technical genius and IMO, probably top 5 all-time great.
Top 5? That's pushing it quite a bit.

He did lose to Castillo the first time they fought, but he won the rematch. He also rematched Maidana who gave him hell.

As for Pacquiao, yeah, he ducked him for a long time. He won the fight but boxing lost. I thought it was 7-5 Floyd but neither fighter did shit.
No, he won, but nice try.

He definitely did some cherry picking, which will hurt his legacy not now but 20 years from now. He beat Manny fairly, and is better than him. But styles make fights, and he avoided a guy like Amir Khan who was possibly the one guy who can outbox him. Since Floyd has no KO power which is Khan's biggest weakness.
He knocked out Hatton who was undefeated and went to war with tszyu but yeah, no knockout power.

Hardly anyone thinks he's the "greatest" boxer ever. He's not even the greatest of his generation - That honor belongs to Manny Pacquiao. When you strip it all down, Floyd is just a pretty good boxer that happens to possess insane reflexes and reaction times. Take those away even just a little bit, and he would have gotten knocked out at least a few times by now.
Take away his greatest attributes and he wouldn't be as good? Are you hearing yourself?

Take away his greatest attributes and he wouldn't be as good? Are you hearing yourself?
The guy has a point take away his years of training , fight IQ., vision , and ability to breath . He wouldn't be as impressive.

The guy has a point take away his years of training , fight IQ., vision , and ability to breath . He wouldn't be as impressive.
True, take away all his training his clothes and give him pillows for gloves he would look worse.

I think Pacquio only won 4 rounds and I biased to him.

That's my point - His "greatest attributes" don't even having to do with the primary aspect of boxing (which is the ability to punch in different ways an do it well), but rather just his head movement and reaction times. Just sums up what an overrated talent he is overall.

I think Pacquio only won 4 rounds and I biased to him.

That's not that bad, tbh. That falls under "close but not that close." One more round in the bag and it would have been as close a fight as possible. Two more rounds in the bag and it would have been a draw (no winner or loser.)

That's my point - His "greatest attributes" don't even having to do with the primary aspect of boxing (which is the ability to punch in different ways an do it well), but rather just his head movement and reaction times. Just sums up what an overrated talent he is overall.
That's just mediocre thinking . Boxing is more than just the throwing a punch in different ways , if it was it would be UFC with no grappling

Jesus, I despise Mayweather but this makes no sense.

Mayweather gets dinged historically because he never fought an ATG at their best, not the nonsense in the OP.

There are a number of reasons you can argue Floyd isn't GOAT, you mentioned none of them.

He rematched the 2 fighters who gave him the most problems. Immediate rematches.

He is a slick boxer who uses shifting, head movement and infighting. He's #1.

Back