How Big Will The UFC Be in 5 years with ESPN now Behind it?

BZeipB_CMAAuTgj.jpg

Profits that come from shrinking the size of your business are not ones that indicate increased potential earnings from expansion.

They're not shrinking the size of the business. They make a production cheaper by using cheaper methodics and removing redundant personnel. That's a different story.
Their business is expanding.

BTW I have a decent idea how people in WME think because I used to work there.

I'm sure that you heard a couple of conversations of higher ranked people on your smoking break, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that I understood what's going on, if I were you.

Been saying it for a long time, UFC, if not UFC- MMA as a whole will be bigger than Boxing. It is after all the evolution of combat sports.

People keep talking about the demise, but they keep getting more popular.

well if you look at the troubles ESPN has been having over the last few years they need the UFC more than the UFC needs them. That network has been driven straight into the ground recently and is losing veiwers at a pretty good clip.

If they make it more professional and fighters actually make weight / show up then it might just about reach half the level of tennis or cricket.... Until then, it'll stay in the realms of snooker.

They're not shrinking the size of the business. They make a production cheaper by using cheaper methodics and removing redundant personnel. That's a different story.
Their business is expanding.
Layoffs are not indications of increased potential profits. Those only come from indicators of increased demand. And the UFC's viewership numbers were alarmingly down last year.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/...across-the-board-points-to-value-of-megastars

I'm sure that you heard a couple of conversations of higher ranked people on your smoking break, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions that I understood what's going on, if I were you.
I actually was a WMA analyst, meaning I was handed potential entertainment projects to break down and recommend whether or not their clients should pursue them. Very similar to what we're talking about now.

If they make it more professional and fighters actually make weight / show up then it might just about reach half the level of tennis or cricket.... Until then, it'll stay in the realms of snooker.

Unfortunately, professionalism and fair play =/= popularity and public interest.

Unfortunately, professionalism and fair play =/= popularity and public interest.
I mean the company needs to be more professional in how its run...
Although professionalism in fighters making weight and not getting injured a week before a fight is also quite important.
If these incidents were rare occurrences then you could say, well its fighting so people get injured, but when it's a number of fights on every damn card, it's a problem.

Ufc/mma is very very amateur.

well if you look at the troubles ESPN has been having over the last few years they need the UFC more than the UFC needs them. That network has been driven straight into the ground recently and is losing veiwers at a pretty good clip.

All their popular personalities with the exception of Steven A Smith are in Fox now.

Now that ESPN is the official digital and cable home of the UFC how big do you guys think it will become in 5 years?

I think it will be become popular again - not just the stars like conor but how the UFC used to be.
<mma3> Who cares

Whichever network is distributing UFC is irrelevant nowadays. Everyone has access to everything now. The UFC is at its peak when it has transcendent stars, ie. Conor, Ronda, etc. Right now, it has none.

ufc > american handegg

According to their numbers those personalities aren't that popular

ESPN still has the better content. Fox sports has a long ways to go, but the more ESPN talent flows over to the other side, not just on air talent but also production, the more things will even out. Remember ESPN has been around for over 30 years. Fox Sports is still a baby.

UFC + ESPN + Colby = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't think ESPN will make much difference. If you like watching UFC/MMA you will watch it no matter what channel it's on. I once swithched from DIRECTV to DISH just because one dropped the channel the WEC was on!

Who knows?
you cannot predict things like that

But ESPN will promote/cover UFC a lot more than Fox, so it is good in that regard.

Back