How big was tupac back then?

So at the end, no consensus. I guess people are legit calling him closet gay at the end of this thread too. oh boy

I watched the whole video, I could see how people would think maybe he was, slightly effeminate gestures at times. Still, he was pretty deep at 17 and I found the whole interview insightful.

I was born mid 90s so Tupac was an immediate legend in my young mind. I don't listen to his music that much but everything I've heard is pretty good. I Get Around is high shelf 90's greatness

I think he was a highly talented poet who was just finding crossover success at the time of his death. Deification happens whenever someone is cut down in their prime. So it's probably a mix of both.

So at the end, no consensus. I guess people are legit calling him closet gay at the end of this thread too. oh boy
People without any accomplishments of their own will often look for any way(often base) to tear someone down. Especially when you're great and when you don't stand what they stand for. Bitterness is a sad condition.

Yeah that too. I've even seen a few movies with him in it but I don't really think of him as an actor.
He showed a lot of talent for the medium and some definite range. Shame he didn't get to continue.

I was obsessed with him when i was younger. The music and interviews, everything. Dude was bipolar as fuck. I guess that's why i thought he was so interesting. He'd have the best message in half his shit but he never really acted like it. He was still a thug and it showed the day he died jumping that dude in the lobby. His interviews are still very very interesting to me. The dude was really fuvking smart but ghetto.

Came here to say something similar.

I grew up listening to him. Huge fan since i was 5th grade but the guy was very unstable.

In his interviews (some) hed come off as some civil rights activist and have great things to say then the next interview talking ghetto and west coast vs east coast feud.

Just like his music... One track "changes" touchy feely next track "hit em up"... Its like really? Guy makes no sense. Complains in one track about crime and the tough in ghetto and wants change in one song and then in another actually promotes the very thing he proclaims to detest.

But i suppose i act the same too

Seemed bigger after his death, much like B.I.G. and probably Cobain. I felt that Nirvana were more transformative pre-death though given they helped boost the whole alternative rock scene while Tupac and B.I.G. more so followed or were at the same time as N.W.A, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, Ice T, Ice Cube, Kool G Rap, and Onyx and such, so their scene was pre-established in mainstream media.

Not only was he "big" he was iconic. He was a fantastic actor as well. His performance in juice was oscar worthy. He also featured in few other box office hit movies. And what can I say about him as a poet, he was the best.

I feel like Uncle Ruckus itt. Maybe some people have exceptionally low standards for talent.

Was a teen when Tupac died but wasn't into the genre at that time. Didn't really know about him til he died. Didn't listen to his music til about 2000, hip hop was strong at that point so Tupac didn't get much play. 18 years later I love his music.

I distinctly remember 2pac being the biggest rap star in the world BEFORE he even died, for about his last year of life, maybe a little longer. I was in grade 7 when he was killed and had started listening to rap/hip hop in 1993. Doggy Style was the first album I ever bought.

Only backpackers listened to him when he was alive.

some people say he was bipolar, maybe he was, but this thread is bi polar. How can it be so split on how big the rapper was before death, as big as Tupac is now after death? Is it really people hating on Tupac?

I'm being honest here I wouldn't recognise any of his music. Not my genre of choice. What's his most well known song? I'll take a listen.

some people say he was bipolar, maybe he was, but this thread is bi polar. How can it be so split on how big the rapper was before death, as big as Tupac is now after death? Is it really people hating on Tupac?
Yes

I watched the whole video, I could see how people would think maybe he was, slightly effeminate gestures at times. Still, he was pretty deep at 17 and I found the whole interview insightful.

I was born mid 90s so Tupac was an immediate legend in my young mind. I don't listen to his music that much but everything I've heard is pretty good. I Get Around is high shelf 90's greatness

I think he was a highly talented poet who was just finding crossover success at the time of his death. Deification happens whenever someone is cut down in their prime. So it's probably a mix of both.
his best songs are his least played / least known songs.

Back