How big is the difference between TJ and Max?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seems like every champion is talked about fighting the guy above...however. I haven't heard anyone talk about a TJ and Max showdown. Is it because of the overall consensus that Max appears almost two weight classes bigger. Or is it simply because TJ doesn't have a shot and no interest is made?

TJ sure liked to call out Mighty Mouse a lot. I doubt he would dare step into the cage against Holloway, the little snake. I like TJ but he wouldn't do it. And Holloway wouldn't take that fight because he knows he would smash the little guy.

TJ is moving down in weight. Max cannot even make 155 without having a stroke.

that's how big the difference is

Alright.

Max is 5'11" and TJ is 5'7' at best.
Max has a 69" reach and TJ has a 67" reach.
Max is 27 and TJ is 32.
Max has some of the best distance control in the game, while TJ is not particularly impressive in that area.

Since 2014, Max is on a 13 fight win streak. He's stopped 10 of those men. Of those men he has stopped are guys like Aldo, Ortega, Pettis, and Swanson.

Since 2014. TJ is 8-1. However, except for Cody and Barao, the only guy he has finished, is Soto, and it took him until the fifth round to do so. Couldn't finish Easton, Raphael, or Lineker.

Also, Max might not be able to make 145 for much longer, Not only does TJ have zero problems making 135, but is actually fighting Cejudo at 125. Max would have to sell his soul and cut off a leg and a hand to make 125.

Max would eat him alive.

TJ can fight at Flyweight, Max Holloway can fight at lightweight.

TJ easily makes 135 and has had test cuts that put him at a nice range to make 125

Max Auschwitz cuts to barely scrape 145. He wouldn't be clearly outsized by most LWs.....

TJ walks around 146-150 out of camp. Max walks around 185-190 and balloons to 200 at times. It's a big difference

TJ can fight at Flyweight, Max Holloway can fight at lightweight.
I will believe TJ can make 125 when he actually does it. Still don't know how he is going to drop another 10 lbs when he a big 135er.

Alright.

Max is 27 and TJ is 32.
Max has some of the best distance control in the game, while TJ is not particularly impressive in that area.

Since 2014, Max is on a 13 fight win streak. He's stopped 10 of those men. Of those men he has stopped are guys like Aldo, Ortega, Pettis, and Swanson.

Since 2014. TJ is 8-1. However, except for Cody and Barao, the only guy he has finished, is Soto, and it took him until the fifth round to do so. Couldn't finish Easton, Raphael, or Lineker.

Also, Max might not be able to make 145 for much longer, Not only does TJ have zero problems making 135, but is actually fighting Cejudo at 125. Max would have to sell his soul and cut off a leg and a hand to make 125.

Max would eat him alive.
I say we cut off Max's left arm. He'll make the weight and it will make it a fair fight.

The fans deserve this.

Dana, make it happen, ya goof.

Max can be a WW easy

Only with Cormier's towel. Max can barely handle the cut to LHW. Should be fighting in Rizin open weight class.

Max is a huge 45er whereas TJ is an average at best BW, so there would be an size disadvantage. I'm a big TJ fan, but I'm not sure how his style would play out against a guy like Max, who's got longer reach and likes to throw out of weird angles, so maybe most of TJ's offensive striking wouldn't be as succesfull as it usually is. Both are hittable and none of them are one punch knockout artists, but Max seems to have a better chin. It could be competitve, but it could also be similar to Max's last fight

I will believe TJ can make 125 when he actually does it. Still don't know how he is going to drop another 10 lbs when he a big 135er.
He's not a big
135er.

Max is a huge FW who has a lot of trouble making it to the weight class. He also had several worthy contenders lined up.

Demetrius Johnson was a former title challenger at 135 with only 1 loss in the division (to a guy that had recently beat TJ as well) so it wouldn't have been ridiculous for him to go back up in weight. Also, unlike Max, Demetrius had completely ran out of contenders since 2014 and had been fighting the absolute bottom of the barrel so him fighting TJ (who even offered to go down in weight) made sense.

I agree this is a match-up that could happen that doesn't get talked about enough but really, the state of 145 and 125 have been quite different to say the least in the last 2 years when these crossover fights have been discussed so I'm not that surprised.

If TJ cleans out his division/finishes off 125, I could see someone criticizing him for not calling out Max but he has a fair amount of work left to do (125 unification bout, potential Cruz rematch, several upcoming top contenders) until that happens. Anyone who doesn't see that and thinks TJ is ducking is clearly a butthurt Demetrius defender

People are hypocrites
Alright.

Max is 27 and TJ is 32.

Max would eat him alive.

Mighty Mouse is 5'3 and TJ is 5'6 1/2
Mighty Mouse's reach is 66" and TJ's is 67.

Yet people were shitting on MIghty Mouse because he wanted to get paid if he decided to fight TJ. Yet physically, he is outmatched against TJ almost the same way TJ is against Max. MMA fans are hypocrites. They just want to see a great champion fail.

Max walks around quite literally 30 pounds heavier than TJ does and is 5 inches taller. Max is an average-sized LW fighting at FW, TJ is a small to average BW.

T.J picks on the smaller guys, Max doesn't.

Except TJ fights in a weight class where a lot are bigger than him and Max fights in a weight class where most are smaller than him.

Back