How bad are the radio stations in your area?

VinnieVincent

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Here in Los Angeles, like I'm sure most other cities, it's unlistenable. Two classic rock radio stations ( one is switching to a Christian format next month) playing the same old led Zeppelin and rolling Stones songs over and over again. Two alt rock stations playing Nirvana and Foo fighters nonstop. And don't even get me started on the pop and hip hop stations.

Anyways I know radio is dead, but let's hear how bad radio stations are in your area .

Absolute shite for the most part. Don't even have much of choice since with some cars it's a hassle to change to digitia; radio, or they can't pick up the signal or whatever. which means you sometimes can't even get things like Planet Rock and other stuff like that (which is actually ok, but suffers from the same sort of thing as you describe). The mainstream, stations (Cool FM and Citybeat) play absolute tripe 100% of the time. The only good thing on the radio that I listen to is some of the shows on BBC Radio Ulster (Ralph McClean is great in the evenings, and there are other good ones later at night). BBC Radio 6 is also very good, but again hard to tune into. As a rule of thumb the good stuff is usually on quite late at night.

Situation in Poland:
  • 1 talk radio (mostly politics)
  • 1 rock radio (still very pop-rockish)
  • 1 classical music radio... that's what they call themselves but 90% of the airtime is movie themes :/
  • 1 religious radio - yup, mass, sermons and the like; very popular among the elderly
  • 10ish pop stations which all play the same golden hits every day, almost like they only have 2-3 CDs

I listen to 3 online radios:
http://www.radioswissjazz.ch/en
http://audiophilebaroque.radio.net/
http://www.beatlesradio.com/tune-in/player/Beatles-Radio-Player.htm

for the most part crap one rock station that plays a mix of new and old rock in between their commercials, a classic rock one that just decide to add RHCP, Nirvana, STP, and Pearl Jam while getting rid of '60s and early '70s rock, and another classic rock station that switches to '70s era pop/disco after 9am. A new Country station just popped up though "The Outlaw" that mostly play '70s era Outlaw Country music so alot of Willie, Merle, Waylon, Cash, Hank Jr, and DAC along with a decent mix of 50s & 60s Country and a bit of 80s and early '90s stuff from Vince Gill, George Strait, Keith Whitley, and others. So pretty much on decent station

Here in Northeast Texas all we really pick up are Shreveport Louisiana stations mostly. It's just bad bad bad, the best station is a classic country station called 104.1 The Ranch, used to be a great oldies country station but they were bought out by Clearchannel and they play most bullshit from the 2000's like Lonestar and Rascal Flats than they do classic country.

We get 3 or 4 rock stations and 3 of them are classic rock but they don't even play good classic rock, so much of what they play is bullshit 80's hair metal Def Leppard and Elton John garbage that I can't imagine anybody who lives around here wants to listen to. The newer rock station plays 80% old shit and it trips me out because they don't even play the good old shit, it's all Seven Mary Three and garbage 90's post-grunge shit from like 1997-1998 and they play an overwhelming amount of garbage from the early 2000's, shit like Puddle of Mud is still on heavy constant rotation.

Don't even get me started on the country stations around here, I don't feel like getting my blood pressure worked up this morning. I don't listen to pop stations but the "hip hop" stations are also a fucking joke, Radio Rap is a thing apparently.

It's also rare to find a radio station that plays music first thing in the morning. Every station has a political talk show and it seems like they are subliminally trying to convince everyone to buy guns and kill Obama and take over the world from the filthy left wing demons that have opressed their religious beliefs and forced their homosexual devil logic onto their pristine perfect white society. There is one radio show called the John Boy and Billy Big Show where they are constantly spewing racist bullshit defending the rebel flag and voicing their enthusiasm for the confederacy and throwing their support behind any cop that kills a black person. It's hilarious and sad all at the same time. They know EXACTLY what these hillbillies around here want to hear and they hammer that shit hard to get them stirred up, I call it "working the marks". It's a different world down here.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know. I haven't listened to regular radio in about 3 years ever since I got XM radio. XM isn't amazing, but it's a hell of a lot better than FM

Same old shit. I got one station that isn't too bad, that plays a variety of 70's, 80's, and 90's hits of all sorts, but the song selection isn't very diverse.

I thought Satellite Radio would be better, but honestly, they just play a slightly broader selection songs over and over, on genre specific stations. I used to listen to this 90's alternative station, and I swear to God, they play "Rooster" by Alice in Chains 20 times a day.

Weve got some local college stations that are pretty good and some oldies country station that is solid.

the big classic rock, and modern rock stations suck just as bad as the pop stations. Same shit all day

Pretty bad. Same shit everyday. Plus I'm in Canada and I'm pretty sure it's law that a certain % of music on the radio has to be Canadian, so you get spammed with Nickelback and Tragically Hip all day (I like a bit of Tragically Hip but come on)

I don't even listen to commercial radio, I have Sirius XM (the package with every station). The only time I listen to terrestrial radio is on Friday nights for the old school hip hop show on the local community radio station KDHX.

The only two long standing ones in Chicago are Q101 (switch frequency a couple years back) and 97.9 the Loop. Q101 has the best alternative variety and The Loop has the best classic rock.

Even better is that Mancow's morning show was on Q101 and now on the Loop.

Plus I'm in Canada and I'm pretty sure it's law that a certain % of music on the radio has to be Canadian, so you get spammed with Nickelback
this made me laugh

i mean, with cell phones now days you can generate a radio station based on your preferences fairly easily and for free (with ads).

screw radio. shits terrible

Situation in Poland:
  • 10ish pop stations which all play the same golden hits every day, almost like they only have 2-3 CDs
I live in Belgium
At work we listen to Q-music, a pop/rock station
they play the same songs everyday, exactly the same situation.

Adele is played at least once 2 hours...

Myself I don't listen to radio, I only listened to radio when I was a kid to certain hardrock shows because I wanted to fit in. Then I discovered metal and I just listened to tapes and cd's. I never listen to the radio at home or in my car.

Only at work... because sadly we live in a democratic country... otherwise it would be silence or slayer blaring all day at the office.

There's a classic rock station which is the only one I care about it's decent enough I guess. PS nice username You Ankh Warrior you

I live in Belgium
At work we listen to Q-music, a pop/rock station
they play the same songs everyday, exactly the same situation.

Adele is played at least once 2 hours...

Myself I don't listen to radio, I only listened to radio when I was a kid to certain hardrock shows because I wanted to fit in. Then I discovered metal and I just listened to tapes and cd's. I never listen to the radio at home or in my car.

Only at work... because sadly we live in a democratic country... otherwise it would be silence or slayer blaring all day at the office.
I used to have Ronnie James Dio in my av. ;)

In Toronto there's CIUT 89.5 which is privately owned and run out of UofT. Democracy Now every morning m-f, 10-11, which is the only credible news outlet in NA that I'm aware of, Drill Squad live mix show Tue 6-9 am. Moovin in the Right Direction trance/house show Thu 6-9am, etc. All kinds of music and other things at different times of day.

There's one classic rock station i'll listen to sometimes, but as noted, it can get repetitive. There's two college stations i get, one is ok sometimes, and the other is pretty decent. Other than that, the stations are awful.

Back