How are gun rights advocates going to be able to debate their way out of gun confiscation now?

There is evidence that this is a real tipping point. The number of these shootings, relative to Australia, Japan, the UK, France, Italy etc is so high that I suspect that there will be confiscation of guns from American homes everywhere. If you are a regular American family in Indiana or Texas or Georgia or neighboring state then there is going to be proclamations that the blood of the Vegas country goers is on your hands in some way. At the very least, I think this will be the end of any firearms that can be turned into automatics with basic modifications. I mean, it has been well under two attacks since the shooting that held the previous record for the deadliest in US history.

For the segment of Sherdog that is behind gun rights and the Second Amendment, how can this be countered at all given this phase? Is it time to start embracing the repeal of that Amendment and to embrace America being more like Australia, the UK, France or Japan, countries deemed vastly superior when it comes to how well they have handled gun violence, and indeed other types of violence too?

They don't have to debate their way out of anything, since gun confiscation is a non-starter. There is one legally held gun for every man, woman and child in America. If the government attempts to take them by force, they will start a chain reaction of violence not seen since the Civil War.

You can make it harder to obtain certain types of guns, such as fully automatic weapons. Although groups like the NRA will fight you every inch of the way on that. But you can't do a damn thing about the weapons that are already out there. There are simply far too many of them.

Does it matter?

Killed more people. End of story. I would argue that islamic terrorism is not religion based either, it's mostly political
It does matter in the sense that if you're going to choose random determinants as qualifiers for a crime rather than the motivating determinant, we can safely use the same logic in saying that brunettes haves killed more people in the history of the World than any other group. Please don't bog down the discussion with grade school demagoguery.

It does matter in the sense that if you're going to choose random determinants as qualifiers for a crime rather than the motivating determinant, we can safely use the same logic in saying that brunettes haves killed more people in the history of the World than any other group. Please don't bog down the discussion with grade school demagoguery.

Then don't apply the same logic to muslims

Quite funny how it is a generalization when it comes to Christians but it's totally justifiable if the group is muslim

Do you see your hypocrisy here?

Quite funny how it is a generalization when it comes to Christians but it's totally justifiable if the group is muslim

I was not the one initially applying the division to Christians and Muslims when it comes to a kill count, I merely pointed out the holes in your logic in doing so.

Muslims have killed far more people in the name of Islam than Christians have killed in the name of Christianity. And if you're talking strictly modern times then there is no contest. Muslims dominate this category.

There is zero need for anyone to have the sort of semi-automic weapons that caused the slaughter in Vegas.

Too many Americans are shockingly naive/childlike and still think they are living in the Wild West rattling on about their rights and "the constitution" like a lunatic.

Muslims have killed far more people in the name of Islam than Christians have killed in the name of Christianity. And if you're talking strictly modern times then there is no contest. Muslims dominate this category.

How do you know it was in the name of Islam? Because of they yelled allahu akbar before dying? lol

I was not the one initially applying the division to Christians and Muslims when it comes to a kill count, I merely pointed out the holes in your logic in doing so.

Sure, then go and do likewise to islamphobes too

There is zero need for anyone to have the sort of semi-automic weapons that caused the slaughter in Vegas.

Too many Americans are shockingly naive/childlike and still think they are living in the Wild West rattling on about their rights and "the constitution" like a lunatic.

I think those who want to take away the constitution, and the basic rights and freedoms outlined in it, are the real lunatics.

Certainly, if that's all they have, than it's over. Nobody with so much as half a functioning brain is going to argue that ordinary American citizens could pull off that kind of James Bond, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Medal of Honor type move. It'll be interesting to see what the Second Amendment supporting types here have to say.

That's hardly the only argument anyone has . . .

If this deranged man wasn't just that . . . what was he? Are you seriously saying he was something special?

I'll not have my rights trampled on due to the horrific choices made by and outright stupidity of others.

I think those who want to take away the constitution, and the basic rights and freedoms outlined in it, are the real lunatics.
I don't have the right to go into a shop and buy a semi automatic weapon.

Do I have no basic rights or freedom?

Has there been confirmation on how he obtained the firepower to begin with? That's relevant. Did he obtain the legal class C license or were these guns black market?

If they were black market, then no amount of gun regulation will fix that. Criminals will always find a way.

Sure, then go and do likewise to islamphobes too

As a liberal I have, regularly actually. It's not my fault that many Muslim terrorists make qualification a non-issue by stating their motivating determinant with a hearty "Allan's snack-bar".

It would have neen easier dor this guy to become a truck driver, start hauling gasoline trucks. Rig one of the trucks with some homemade explosives and drive into a similar crowd killing hundreds than the hoops he would have gone through to get a legal automatic weapon

Back