How are gun rights advocates going to be able to debate their way out of gun confiscation now?

emax

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
There is evidence that this is a real tipping point. The number of these shootings, relative to Australia, Japan, the UK, France, Italy etc is so high that I suspect that there will be confiscation of guns from American homes everywhere. If you are a regular American family in Indiana or Texas or Georgia or neighboring state then there is going to be proclamations that the blood of the Vegas country goers is on your hands in some way. At the very least, I think this will be the end of any firearms that can be turned into automatics with basic modifications. I mean, it has been well under two attacks since the shooting that held the previous record for the deadliest in US history.

For the segment of Sherdog that is behind gun rights and the Second Amendment, how can this be countered at all given this phase? Is it time to start embracing the repeal of that Amendment and to embrace America being more like Australia, the UK, France or Japan, countries deemed vastly superior when it comes to how well they have handled gun violence, and indeed other types of violence too?

they'll say that if only more people in the crowd had guns, the guy would have been taken down. in fact, i actually saw a comment like that. "shoot him center mass" or something.

they'll say that if only more people in the crowd had guns, the guy would have been taken down. in fact, i actually saw a comment like that. "shoot him center mass" or something.
Certainly, if that's all they have, than it's over. Nobody with so much as half a functioning brain is going to argue that ordinary American citizens could pull off that kind of James Bond, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Medal of Honor type move. It'll be interesting to see what the Second Amendment supporting types here have to say.

It will never happen. It's one of the founding principles of our country.

Are we also going to confiscate trucks?

They don't need to. If Sandy Hook wasn't enough then this surely won't be. The NRA can easily crush any attempts at gun control, even extremely modest proposals that have popular support.

America has had the conversation and decided, for better or worse, that guns are really awesome and mass shootings are a small price to pay to have shiny toys.

If I'm a liberal politician right now I wouldn't waste a single second of my time on gun control. That ship has sailed.

I see gun confiscation going about as well as the war on drugs. Actually worse outright civil war would be my guess

Their welcome to try. Any such legislation would obviously be contested in court and likely be a landmark case before the Supreme Court. There is enough money, influence and desire to keep it tied up in legal proceedings for some time.

Also, there are enough people already paranoid about government encroachment on their 2nd amendment rights that a formal government action to take their firearms might just go badly, very badly in some cases. Wonder how many politicians would desire to be invested in actions that lead to numerous standoffs and a self-inflicted surge of anti-government / establishment sentiment that could easily see many of them voted out of office. Not to mention the likely upsurge in militia bunker mentality from a demographic not well placed to trust Washington when they say "Its in everyone's best interest.".

i think it's harder to drive a truck than to get guns in the USA, no?

I'm not a big fan of my rights being taken away because someone else misuses them, but I'm open to a good argument for it

You need a license to drive a vehicle, prove that you're capable by passing multiple tests, that's the funny part

I'm not a big fan of my rights being taken away because someone else misuses them, but I'm open to a good argument for it
i live in a country with VERY strict gun laws, basically you can't get one unless you go through a lot of steps, are a hunter or in the military. i think it's too strict and there's many ways to get a weapon illegal.

but i'm insanely grateful that there's checks on this stuff and you can't buy a small arsenal on semi-automatics, grenades and whatever the hell some people buy in the US.

We need guns to protect ourselves from the government buddy

When the government turns against me, me and my wife will fight them with our guns. What? They have helicopters, tanks, jets and nukes? Pffttt muh guns

We need guns to protect ourselves from the government buddy

When the government turns against me, me and my wife will fight them with our guns. What? They have helicopters, tanks, jets and nukes? Pffttt muh guns
You cant be that stupid can you?

For the segment of Sherdog that is behind gun rights and the Second Amendment, how can this be countered at all given this phase? Is it time to start embracing the repeal of that Amendment and to embrace America being more like Australia, the UK, France or Japan, countries deemed vastly superior when it comes to how well they have handled gun violence, and indeed other types of violence too?

Here in Europe we get terrorist attacks every other week and these people have no problems getting weapons.
If you think banning weapons will stop bad people getting them , you're clueless .

Well trucks have a purpose other than killing people

And if trucks are just as efficient as weapons, why do you want to retain your guns? Get a truck and defend yourself

No, in an hour I could rent a large box truck from several locations within 5 miles of my home.

Here in Europe we get terrorist attacks every other week and these people have no problems getting weapons.
If you think banning weapons will stop bad people getting them , you're clueless .

Those attacks would be much more severe if there was no gun control

Well trucks have a purpose other than killing people

And if trucks are just as efficient as weapons, why do you want to retain your guns? Get a truck and defend yourself

This might be difficult for you to comprehend, but if you were to take every gun in the world, and make them magically disappear. Psychopaths would simply find something else to kill people with.

This might be difficult for you to comprehend, but if you were to take every gun in the world, and make them magically disappear. Psychopaths would simply find something else to kill people with.
but would they be able to kill as many people as in the Las Vegas shootings?

you're right.

trucks are somewhat necessary for day to day life. though, i dont think we should confiscate guns. id like to see an optional gun purchase/destroy by the govt, like australia had.

this stockpiling and collecting of guns is the major problem imo.

Back