How are belt promotions done in judo?

Requirements up to Black-Belt (1st dan) are up to the instructor's discretion and standard.

He is usually required to adhere to some sort of syllabus for gradings, involving techniques and (in the very beginning) breakfalls and (also especially in the beginning) Japanese terminology and judo history. Later, increasing sets of the nage-no-kata are required (starting at about green belt, or 3rd kyu) and competition points are required also.

In the end, it is all up to the instructor on the standard he wants to set.

After 1st kyu (brown belt) it is out of the instructor's hands and goes before a "grading panel".

That's roughly how it works in Australia.

It all started with JJJ. Most of the basic techniques for both Judo and BJJ are all from the old Juijitsu. You're right about focusing on high percentage techniques and safe-to-practice. Judo changed the world in that aspect, it said that Kata was useful for learning techniques, but you can not master a technique until it's done against a resisting opponent.

When you break it all down, an arm-bar is an arm-bar in BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Catch Wrestling and JJJ. It's in all of the curriculum's.

Darph is correct. He's pretty much teaching a history lesson. People need to read up. I have a brown bjj but I'm not going to get all 'cool aid' shit on people, like it's some sorta of competition. Cause it's not. Fact is fact. JJJ was first (in fact it's a misnomer to even say JJJ, as it's the origin... 'jujutsu' is more apt). "JuJutsu" translates directly to 'ground fighting'. "Shinjutsu" means 'sword/spear' fighting etc... the 'ju' or 'jiu' are but only the beginning as Darph states. And he is correct. I love bjj don't get me wrong, but it's not a complete system (and MMA/UFC proves it - minus UFC1-3 when people in the west new shit). On the comment about 'arm bar is arm bar and all of it is in the curriculum', Darph may be mistaken here. BJJ in it's own right IS in my opinion, a very distinct branch of JuJutsu. It has moves that never existed before BJJ. How do I know this? You would be hard pressed to find the berimbolo technique pre-bjj. And there are more examples. The analogy for me is similar to biology. In biology when a new insect or animal is 'discovered' the first thing they do is evaluate how much of a change from the apparent 'parent' is there. If there is enough variation AND interbreeding is unviable, it is considered a NEW species. So the real question is, can JuJutsu and BJJ interbreed lol.

"JuJutsu" translates directly to 'ground fighting'. "Shinjutsu" means 'sword/spear' fighting etc...

Sorry for the pedantry, but...

"" can be translated to mean "gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding." "Jutsu" can be translated to mean "art" or "technique"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jujutsu

"Ne-waza" is "ground techniques." "Shin" means "god" or "spirit" (think "Shinto"). Sword ("ken", or "shinken" specifically for sharpened blades) and spear ("sō") fighting are kenjutsu/do and sōjutsu/do, respectively.

The historical distinction of the "Ju" arts (-do, -jutsu) vs the others is more about the lack of weaponry and immediate application of lethal force.

Last edited:
To end all this speculation I'll post a link to the requirements for every tested belt promotion up to Sandan, Sandan is 3rd degree, when I get back home over the weekend and off this fucking phone.

You can get promoted by competing and not, but you have to do a shitload of extra Nage No Kata if you don't compete.

Bored, so I posted it up. Shufu covers the USJF Yudansha out east with some sanctioned directly from the Kodokan .

These are the testing requirements for belt promotions.

http://shufujudo.org/?page_id=971

I kind of miss Q mystic's posts, he was like a cut-price Hunter S. Thompson in a gi.

In Japan and Kodokan organization Dojo's usually you just learn Judo and rank is decided by a certain tournament, in the Kodokan its the monthly shiai.

Most western dojo's vary but usually lower ranks you just have to demonstrate techniques but as you start to get higher you have to fight and show parts of Nage No Kata.

Lower rank gradings can sometime go demonstrate X many throws, X many pins, X many chokes and armlocks, X many pin escapes etc.

With the comment blow, i disagree although a Black belt means you are fairly advanced the lower ranks are not beginners, where i am from it takes about the same time ti recieve a Judo black belt as a BJJ black belt. And the comment "In Judo, the blackbelt simply means you've mastered the basics of jiu-jitsu, and you're ready to start learning Judo." was the stupidest thing i have heard in a while...You do know that Judo is mainly throwing and BJJ is mainly ground work so how do you come up with that comment?

jiu jitsu is not bJJ.
in academies in my area judo is often the sport version whereas jiu jitsu is more self defense oriented

I'm not sure how it compares to the states, but in Australia we go through the following:

Yellow - 8 throws, 2 hold downs, 1 arm lock, 1 strangle, breakfalls
Orange - 16 throws, 2 hold downs, 1 arm lock, 1 strangle, breakfalls
Green - 24 throws, 4 hold downs, 2 arm locks, 2 strangles, breakfalls, 2 counters, 2 combinations, competition points
Blue - 32 throws, 6 hold downs, 4 arm locks, 4 strangles, breakfalls, 4 counters, 4 combinations, competition points
Brown - 40 throws, 8 hold downs, 6 arm locks, 6 strangles, breakfalls, more counters, combinations and transitions, points, nage no kata
Black - as above plus 100 competition points, coaching course, refereeing paper, kata, or via batsugan (beating 5 opponents by ippon in a row)

So basically we have to compete from orange belt upwards and get points for each belt. Going brown to black is full-on. We have to keep a diary of all competition wins and submit it at the grading. Grading up to Brown is in the club, but for shodan it's in front of a panel of at least three 3rd dans or higher. Average time is about 6-7 years to Shodan. Exceptional competitors might get it in 5 years. I'm brown now, hoping to get Shodan in a year or so (so 9-10 years all up).

I do BJJ also ( 5 years, 4th stripe blue belt). In terms of mat time I'd say Judo is a belt or so behind BJJ: so a Judo black may have similar time to a BJJ brown; a Judo 2nd Dan may have similar mat time to a BJJ black. Others may disagree, but that's my experience.

Back