How amazing was Mirs 2nd win over Nog?

two legends in a dream match. that's what it should be with the old guard

I never got the big nog hype what are his 3 biggest wins not including ones from 20 years ago
Sherdog made a Top 10 Greatest Heavyweights of All-Time article this year.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Sherdogs-Top-10-Heavyweights-of-AllTime-119469

Nogueira has defeated 5 of them... And he's 1 of them so there's only 9 to choose from.
I can tell you right now that none of the other guys on that list have defeated 5 other fighters on that list. Most of them only have 1-3.

If that were true Nog wouldn't have been able to out grappled Werdum when they were both in their 20s.

Except Werdum peaked in his 30s both in grappling and MMA. Best version of Fabricio subs any version of Nog, even if he tries to avoid the ground like Nog did in Pride.

Except Werdum peaked in his 30s both in grappling and MMA. Best version of Fabricio subs any version of Nog, even if he tries to avoid the ground like Nog did in Pride.
Werdum won ADCC gold at HW 6 months after the first match with Nog. So no, that is bullshit about his no-gi grappling being better now.

And in their first MMA match the grappling component was pure grappling. They didn't throw ground strikes at each other at all. It was essentially ADCC with stand up striking... And FYI, Nogueira was the one that got the 2 take downs in the first match. So he didn't avoid shit.

Are you kidding? He probably has the best HW resume of all time. Look at his wins:

Werdum
Barnett
Cro Cop
Kharitonov
Sylvia
Herring 3x
Ricco
Coleman

He is the 2nd greatest HW of all time behind only Fedor.

Werdum and couture are decent wins I guess from 10 years ago but I'm still not that impressed think he's over rated. Crocop was lhw so barely means anything.. don't mean to be a hater but he was literally a punching bag

Werdum won ADCC gold at HW 6 months after the first match with Nog.
So no, that is bullshit about his grappling being better now.

ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship
  • 2011 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Silver Medalist
  • 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Gold Medalist
  • 2007 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Gold Medalist
  • 2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Bronze Medalist
  • 2003 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Absolute Bronze Medalist
  • 2003 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Silver Medalist
So he won his first ADCC gold the year he turned 30 years old? Thanks for proving my point jackass. You still missed it though because the point is Werdum's peak was in his 30s because he simply got better while getting bigger and stronger. You're deluded if you think Nog defeated a prime Werdum. Werdum peaked in MMA after that wake-up call against JDS, so that would be 2009.

The fact mir beat him once in boxing and then the 2nd time by sub shows what level he's really at. He'd probably lose against Travis browne level fighters

Also agree with other guy Werdum used to suck until the past 5 years or so he' really come Into his element

ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship
  • 2011 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Silver Medalist
  • 2009 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Gold Medalist
  • 2007 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Gold Medalist
  • 2005 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Bronze Medalist
  • 2003 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Absolute Bronze Medalist
  • 2003 ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships Silver Medalist
So he won his first ADCC gold the year he turned 30 years old? Thanks for proving my point jackass. You still missed it though because the point is Werdum's peak was in his 30s because he simply got better while getting bigger and stronger. You're deluded if you think Nog defeated a prime Werdum. Werdum peaked in MMA after that wake-up call against JDS, so that would be 2009.
So your argument is Werdum peaked his grappling 6 months after his match with Nogueira, therefore Werdum's grappling wasn't any good in PRIDE and vs Nog?
Any take away from the grappling that happened in that fight is to be thrown out the window? Is that really where you're trying to take this lol

And we're talking grappling here. Werdum's striking has obviously improved but I haven't been talking about that.

readybody at his best... ahahahhaaahah

Werdum and couture are decent wins I guess from 10 years ago but I'm still not that impressed think he's over rated. Crocop was lhw so barely means anything.. don't mean to be a hater but he was literally a punching bag
He was a punching bag because he fought so many great fighters. He won most of the time though. From 2001 to 2008 he was either the #1 or #2 HW in the world.

Cro Cop was the #2 or #3 HW in the world from 2001 to 2007. You can call him a LHW all you want but he was the most lethal striker in the world. Ask Barnett, Aleks and Igor. Cro Cop was destroying everyone for about 6 or 7 years there.

The fact mir beat him once in boxing and then the 2nd time by sub shows what level he's really at. He'd probably lose against Travis browne level fighters
Go watch Nog fight Sergei, Herring and Sylvia. Nog would have subbed Travis no problem.

Also agree with other guy Werdum used to suck until the past 5 years or so he' really come Into his element
Werdum's striking has improved but Nog basically outgrappled Werdum in their PRIDE fight. He beat him everywhere the fight went. Werdum may have improved his Muay Thai since then but that was a young and fast Werdum that was already BJJ God like status and Nog held his own in the grappling and won the fight.

readybody at his best... ahahahhaaahah
Somebody: Nog's an overrated grappler.
Me: Nog out grappled Werdum in PRIDE.
Readybody: Werdum wasn't any good in PRIDE.
Me: Werdum was an ADCC gold medalist at this time.
Readybody: Werdum's a better striker now so the first match is irrelevant.
Me: <mma3>

heck he would probably lose to u right, lmao

Umm no. Big Nog was thought of as a legend. I thought Mir got really lucky Herb Dean decided to interfere with the fight and tell Big Nog to stop punching Mir when Mir was about to be TKO'd and this caused Nog to stop striking and go for the submission and got submitted instead. The wrong person won

WAAA

That's what most people think of the fight. Not wtf TS was saying. Mir got lucky

AAAA

I do cry about it, Nog got cocky but man Herb really influenced the decision there. Nog was not throwing illegal strikes and after the warning he goes for the sub. Couple more strikes and the fight was a win for Nog.

AAAA

he was not punching the back of the head

AAAH!

Somebody: Nog's an overrated grappler.
Me: Nog out grappled Werdum in PRIDE.
Readybody: Werdum wasn't any good in PRIDE.
Me: Werdum was an ADCC gold medalist at this time.
Readybody: Werdum's a better striker now so the first match is irrelevant.
Me: <mma3>
Hmmm...yeahh... wiki guys like readybody or the other dude only know about the fights and their outcome...

They´re clueless about the CONTEXT.

They dont know how Werdum was perceived in Pride, how respected or not he was.

U cant find this type of info in google, u have to experience it.

The move made it great. Nog was past it already before, in 08, but the BJJ tech goes later than reflexes on the feet.

Would be a formidable champion had he not had that bad motorcycle crash. Honestly would be one of the greatest HW in MMA ever.

Back