How About Some Actual Numbers? Boxing vs. UFC in the U.S. 2012

^

I agree with this. No way is mma is bigger worldwide than boxing, but I don't get how the PPVs are calculated. For example, UFC 144 was a PPV in the US and took place in Japan. It was a paid TV buy (meaning the UFC paid to get it on television) and it was on at 10 AM in Japan and primetime in the US. Despite not taking place here, it is still a US centric show.

are you asking about PPV's in general or why in this thread that TS is not counting PPV's from overseas shows.

Last edited:
does boxing count ppv numbers in canada and ausstralia? ive heard an interview with a promoter that said its US only.in that case boxing stomps MMA. oh and boxing is pulling similar numbers to ufc on fx for REPEATS on hbo, a premium channel lets not forget. a better comparison would be to compare with the strikeforce LIVE events on showtime which did like 200-300k average.

boxing is way bigger than ufc in the US.

does boxing count ppv numbers in canada and ausstralia? ive heard an interview with a promoter that said its US only.in that case boxing stomps MMA. oh and boxing is pulling similar numbers to ufc on fx on a premium channel in hbo. lets not forget. a better comparison would be to compare with the strikeforce events on showtime which did like 200-300k average.

1.boxing ppv numbers in Australia are not huge unless a local guy is fighting, and even then we are looking mostly at 35-50K PPV's, i don't know about canada but i guess this is somewhat similar.

2.the UFC has not been on showtime so comparing the HBO vs Showtime is not comparable. also when strikeforce had a big time guy in fedor his fights did 1.1 million on showtime. if the UFC had done shows on showtime i don't think 1.5 million is unlikely.

I watch ESPN most of the time and I haven't seen a FNF ad once. The UFC puts a lot more advertising dollars and promo spots into its events.

If boxing did that, I believe their numbers would be higher.

TS, what are you even talking about? i thought randy vs james toney once and for all proved that MMA is better than boxing. geez. :icon_lol:

why did you total the UFC ppv numbers and average the boxing numbers?

apples and oranges...

80% boxing fans are probably fairweather fans, only watching big main events

MMA fans watch consistently 2-4 times a week

Pretty cool info, thanks for posting it. I think the UFC is kinda at a standstill atm. It hasn't developed enough well known fighters that transcend MMA.. Pacquio and Mayweather are household names just about. Klitchko's as well if you are talking more of the overseas crowd. GSP and Anderson are pretty much the only two in MMA but only in their home countries and maybe maybe Couture in the U.S.

Pretty cool info, thanks for posting it. I think the UFC is kinda at a standstill atm. It hasn't developed enough well known fighters that transcend MMA.. Pacquio and Mayweather are household names just about. Klitchko's as well if you are talking more of the overseas crowd. GSP and Anderson are pretty much the only two in MMA but only in their home countries and maybe maybe Couture in the U.S.

What? Anderson was recognized by ESPN as one of the best athletes alive and he is beloved all over the world, not just in Brazil. The same goes for GSP, despite his reluctance to fight outside of Canada. The problem with MMA is that it is still young while boxing has been public news for over a century. A lot of the viewers of Boxing are older men who aren't quite into the younger sport. When today's 18-30 year olds are 40-50 and the old boxing fans start to die off, you will see a massive reversal of that trend. I would bet that more kids are learning various martial arts than boxing specifically, so mma will continue to grow as boxing becomes stifled.

Edit: Also, when Captain America II comes out with GSP as the villain, the amount of fans he has and the general recognition he has will skyrocket.

False. There's trolls on both sides.

Even the most educated boxing fans are pretty ignorant about MMA..

But I do agree there are too many immature MMA fans, that came from Pro wrestling who still carry that mentality.

Even the most educated boxing fans are pretty ignorant about MMA..

But I do agree there are too many immature MMA fans, that came from Pro wrestling who still carry that mentality.

on the same token the most educated MMA fans think boxing is a subpar martial art

This is not good at all. You are comparing a pay channel in HBO to basic cable FOX & FX. UFC on FOX networks should have way more numbers. The reason I say this is because HBO and Showtime are the main home for boxing NBC and ESPN don't count. If I'm missing your point I apologize.

Last edited:
This is not good at all. You are comparing a pay channel in HBO to basic cable FOX, FX, Fuel etc. UFC on FOX networks should have way more numbers. The reason I say this is because HBO and Showtime are the main home for boxing NBC and ESPN don't count. If I'm missing your point I apologize.

fuel is not basic

Ill give you that. but as a whole. from personal expirence. Boxing fans ive met dont typically like MMA and trash on it.

Oh is that right??? I have never met an MMA in person who had a good thing to say about boxing.

Back