How About Some Actual Numbers? Boxing vs. UFC in the U.S. 2012

your post is so left field that its ridiculous perhaps an elitist might appreciate it

Can't tell if you're trolling, stupid or both. If you don't think what I said relates to the boxing vs MMA theme we have going here then shucks, there's just no helping you.

This thread should be good.

I see a few posters already took the bait.

It does not make any sense to include only shows held in the US for the comparison.

ALL PPVs held outside the US had FX prelims catered to the US audience and most had significant PPV sales IN THE US.

The only difference is on US generated gate revenue which is NOT on the calculations.

Sure, you can make whatever comparisons you feel like, but to make any useful inference out of that what you choose is very important.

Can't tell if you're trolling, stupid or both. If you don't think what I said relates to the boxing vs MMA theme we have going here then shucks, there's just no helping you.

it could be relevant back in '93

I guess I'm confused why you wouldn't consider those.

They sold here on TV, what difference does it make where the card was held?

You can look at it both ways, like GDP vs. GNP.

I also think things get complicated when you go international because I'm not sure how big foreign events are and who all has their hands in those pies.

It does not make any sense to include only shows held in the US for the comparison.

ALL PPVs held outside the US had FX prelims catered to the US audience and most had significant PPV sales IN THE US.

It doesn't seem fair to me to give boxing a big disadvantage just based on the location of ownership. You might as well not do international/national breakdowns then.

Also, see above.

You can look at it both ways, like GDP vs. GNP.

I also think things get complicated when you go international because I'm not sure how big foreign events are and who all has their hands in those pies.

I understand that, but it would still be apples to apples to compare the American revenue from those events.

Of course, then you'd have to go find all those Klits fights from Europe and add those numbers in too.

It doesn't seem fair to me to give boxing a big disadvantage just based on the location of ownership. You might as well not do international/national breakdowns then.

Also, see above.

It has nothing to do with unfair advantage.

The fighters fight for an American organization, and the events are catered mostly to an US audience. The broadcast is identical not matter where the event takes place.

Not including those is like saying that TV shows taped overseas, like Game of Thrones, should not be included in comparisons of HBO vs Showtime viewership. That does not make any sense.

That is very different than a Klitschko fight that has no meaningful US broadcast.

I understand that, but it would still be apples to apples to compare the American revenue from those events.

Of course, then you'd have to go find all those Klits fights from Europe and add those numbers in too.

It is not apples to apples.

The comparison is missing all the US viewership of UFC fights that took place
overseas. That number is massive. The location for UFC fights is pretty much irrelevant, as the broadcast is exactly the same.

This has nothing to do with the millions of people watching the fights from Brazil or Canada (the analogous of the Germans watching the Klits fights).

Very well done.

I love them both but I see them differently. I watch boxing like a sport but UFC I tend to watch as entertainment. I think they appeal to different fan bases. Boxing with sports fans and UFC with wwe fans.

oh GTFO you dork

overseas. That number is massive. The location for UFC fights is pretty much irrelevant, as the broadcast is exactly the same.

This has nothing to do with the millions of people watching the fights from Brazil or Canada (the analogous of the Germans watching the Klits fights).

I'm just focusing on events that almost everyone would agree meet the definition of, "in the US." You could also argue this methodology is biased against boxing because foreign PPV buys for boxing aren't included, whereas they are for the UFC.

I'm just focusing on events that almost everyone would agree meet the definition of, "in the US." You could also argue this methodology is biased against boxing because foreign PPV buys for boxing aren't included, whereas they are for the UFC.

Not really. PPV is rare outside of North America and doesn't account for much. All four major boxing PPVs of 2012 are there (there were only four) whereas UFC ran 12 or 13 major PPVs and only six are there.

Not really. PPV is rare outside of North America and doesn't account for much. All four major boxing PPVs of 2012 are there (there were only four) whereas UFC ran 12 or 13 major PPVs and only six are there.

What I mean is that total boxing PPV buys are bigger than what's reported for each of those events because only U.S. buys get reported, whereas the UFC numbers reflect buys from all over the globe.

MMA fans are usually also fans of boxing. Boxing fans are usually asshurt, defensive threatened by MMA. Its obnoxious.

This is exactly why these kind of comments always show up on MMA forums but on boxing forums you never hear anything about MMA except for when people were laughing at Tyson Fury for calling out Cain Velasquez.

Yep makes heaps of sense.

Most MMA fans don't know shit about boxing.... in fact, they don't know shit about MMA either lol.

100% correct.

The UFC model is very different in this case, especially with all the broadcasts in Canada that share a big audience in the US. I don't see a counterpart to that in boxing and its sort of pointless to review all this while excluding it.

The other thing another post pointed out is the UFC isn't the sport of MMA, you are comparing a promotion to an entire sport. Why wouldn't you include Bellator and Strikeforce?

I watch both when I can, fuck the haters and trolls.

What I mean is that total boxing PPV buys are bigger than what's reported for each of those events because only U.S. buys get reported, whereas the UFC numbers reflect buys from all over the globe.

Well why have no "worldwide" numbers ever been reported?

Back