House of Commons passes anti-Islamophobia motion

Are you playing the pedantic game of "Islamophobia isn't a real thing because it's a concept", or the absurdist game of "Islamophobia isn't a real thing because I reject the notion of a widespread phenomenon, readily apparent to any critical thinker"?
The real life game where an ideology has earned special protective status above and beyond all others.

Last edited:
Are you playing the pedantic game of "Islamophobia isn't a real thing because it's a concept", or the absurdist game of "Islamophobia isn't a real thing because I reject the notion of a widespread phenomenon, readily apparent to any critical thinker"?

Islamophobia isn't a real thing because it doesn't fit the medical criteria for a phobia which is an anxiety disorder driven by irrational fear. It's a pseudoscientific term.

What 'critical thinkers' deny that Islam is one of the world's most pressing problems? Aside from themselves and sheltered far-left parties in extreme northern latitudes.

Thoughts:

Canada has seen a spate of anti-Muslim hate crimes in Quebec, Ontario and Alberta in the last few months. An MP brought forward a motion to encourage an investigation into the propagation of the beliefs and dissemination of rhetoric underpinning these attacks. She was lambasted, and the right focused on her Pakistani heritage (see: Faith Goldy, Lauren Southern, Gavin McInnes, Sheila Gunn Reid, and the rest of the Rebel faithful) as being the motivator, rather than the aforementioned crimes.

Ultimately, it is an inconsequential, public relations motion. It is non-binding. It doesn't call for any new laws, or any real action. It is meant to generate a report that could lead to the outing of the jingoistic undercurrent of alleged news sources like Compound Media and the Rebel.

Islamophobia isn't a real thing because it doesn't fit the medical criteria for a phobia which is an anxiety disorder driven by irrational fear. It's a pseudoscientific term.

So it's the pedantic game. I just wanted to be clear what moronic tack you were taking.

I'm playing neither game. Of course there are a ton of people that hate anything Islamic simply because it's Islamic.

But I reject applying the term "Islamophobic" to anybody that raises legitimate questions and criticisms about and against Islam. And that's what I feel like this motion is trying to do. I'm tired of Islam being protected from criticism. I don't get it.

You ran into a brick wall and you will now leave the thread. Thanks.

Don't herp your derp too hard, bud. Would you be the guy saying "being a workaholic isn't a real thing because workahol isn't a thing?"

The nature of language is fluid. Terms used in a non-medical context do not need to meet a strict medical standard in order to be linguistically accurate or relevant. The term has developed over decades and is common usage. You're being an idiot.

Muslims claim Islam is "perfect", yet they do everything in their power to prohibit criticism of this "perfect" religion. They're too fucking stupid to see the contradiction.

I'm playing neither game. Of course there are a ton of people that hate anything Islamic simply because it's Islamic.

But I reject applying the term "Islamophobic" to anybody that raises legitimate questions and criticisms about and against Islam. And that's what I feel like this motion is trying to do. I'm tired of Islam being protected from criticism. I don't get it.

Was the shooting of a number of people praying in a mosque a (1) "legitimate question", or a (2) "legitimate criticism" of Islam?

Was the shooting of a number of people praying in a mosque a (1) "legitimate question", or a (2) "legitimate criticism" of Islam?

No. That was a hate crime and that kid should be executed.

No. That was a hate crime and that kid should be executed.

Now we're onto something. That shooting was, in severity, isolated. But hate crimes against Muslims in Canada are not. The purpose of this bill is to investigate why primarily white men are doing things like: assaulting young Muslim women on buses; desecrating mosques; shouting vulgar and racist abuse at young Muslim women; etc. Those things are, generally, termed "Islamophobia".

Legitimate questions or criticisms of Islam are not in any way what is considered by this motion.

Back