Horror News & Discussion Redux

I thought Devil's Candy was really good. The ending was a little meh but not horrible and I was engaged the whole running time which was a perfect 79 min.

I wouldn't recommend Devil's Candy to slasher or gore hounds but if you are a fan of films like Frailty, Kill List and The VVitch I think you'd dig Devil's Candy.

8/10
So. It nightmare scary, but cool mythology scary? Asking for a friend.

It depends on what gives you nightmares. I'd say it's on par with a lot of new horrors as far as being higher brow horror if that makes sense. If you like stuff like It Follows, Babadook, Split etc.

It's more like a dark thriller with a bit of a super natural element to it.

There is not a ton of gore or jump scares and no visible monster at play and outside of a few subtle references there isn't much of a mythology element.

But it is pretty damn good imo.

Watched From A House On Willow Street last night. A bit cheesy and the acting was bad at times but still well done overall imo. Sharni Vinson from You're Next was in it.

Reviewed Wolfen in the Discuss Movie thread.

Movie sucks.

Reviewed Wolfen in the Discuss Movie thread.

Movie sucks.

I like Wolfen, but I like the old gritty NYC look of '68-'94 or so, the setting helped the movie a lot in my case.

Here's the best Wolfen reference of all time...

I just watched Neon Demon. Saw it on a list of best horror movies, so I checked it out. Didn't read much about it beforehand though.

Wasn't scary at all. I wouldn't even classify it as a horror movie. More of a drama movie with some supernatural elements.

I do wonder if real life super models, model agencies and photographers etc. are all such shallow, arrogant cunts. None of the characters in the movie were really likeable aside from that one dude who dated the MC for a while.

Chicks in the movie were hot though.

I like Wolfen, but I like the old gritty NYC look of '68-'94 or so, the setting helped the movie a lot in my case.

Here's the best Wolfen reference of all time...

It was cool to see the Bronx just destroyed. I thought the beginning was good.

I just watched Neon Demon. Saw it on a list of best horror movies, so I checked it out. Didn't read much about it beforehand though.

Wasn't scary at all. I wouldn't even classify it as a horror movie. More of a drama movie with some supernatural elements.

I do wonder if real life super models, model agencies and photographers etc. are all such shallow, arrogant cunts. None of the characters in the movie were really likeable aside from that one dude who dated the MC for a while.

Neon Demon is a music video stretched out to 2 hour run time

Just finished a so-called horror movie called The Ice Cream Truck from this year.
I mean, they guy who made it must know nothing about horror at all. Storyline was ok I guess, but everything else was just so moronic that I considered turning it off several times.
Made no sense, do not watch

I watched the Belko Experiment a couple of nights ago. Much in common with movies like Saw and Cube. Not particularly great, worth a watch.

New Chucky movie is decent from what I've heard, like decent enough to inject some life into the seried, Leatherface is getting bad early chatter on the opposite end of things.

It depends on what gives you nightmares. I'd say it's on par with a lot of new horrors as far as being higher brow horror if that makes sense. If you like stuff like It Follows, Babadook, Split etc.

It's more like a dark thriller with a bit of a super natural element to it.

There is not a ton of gore or jump scares and no visible monster at play and outside of a few subtle references there isn't much of a mythology element.

But it is pretty damn good imo.
The trailer makes it look epic !

What's actually scary about this movie to classify it a horror, I saw it on a search and was certain it had been put in wrong category, had to turn it off
Like supermodels being mean to one another... that's horror?

HELLRAISER 6/10

I have avoided this movie for a long time because I remember it being dull. Revisiting it as an adult with a perfect dick, id say....its not THAT dull.

I actually like the story here. Some asshole is playing with a puzzle box and gets sent to hell or some sort. Where he plays with the box is where he is sent there. As time passes, some blood spills in the floor of this room and for some reason, the blood resurrects him...slowly.

This is a classic special make up effects movie. How this guy comes back to life is beautiful. First hes a...husk. And its no puppet either, its a guy with full make up on.
As he gets more blood, he becomes a replica of the anatomy statues you find in school. He stays like this a while, but he starts to wear dress shirts and theyre always covered in his blood because hes still in his fetus form until the end.

But we didnt rent this movie for him.. No we rented it for the "Cenobites." These 4 people, all with their own unique make up, are the ones that were torturing the guy who first played with the box. Because blood got spilled in the area he vanished, he escaped them, and they are out to get their prey.

Their weapon of choice is a collection of chained hooks. Again, another neat feature of torture. The cenobites telepathically hook into their preys skin and hang/stretch them.

Its when these 4 show up that things pick up, but fuck, its past half way until they arrive.

This is a movie that id like redone. I want the cenobites to look the same tho and the guy colllecting blood. Theyre perfect. But this movie takes place in 1 set, has dull acting, shit sex scenes, and a slowwwww pace. Polish that shit up and be creative with the transitions between the worlds. CGI could work there, but not anywhere else, please. Wellllll, maybe with the gatekeeper. That animatronic looks outdated as fuck, maybe cgi there, but id prefer a better puppet or maybe someone in a suit.

Take another gander in this one for the special effects alone.

Hellraiser II is one of those sequels I like more than the original. Doesn't happen a lot in any genre, especially horror when the originals usually end on a perfectly creepy note and sequels give you too much info; Halloween, TCSM, ANOES (the ending wasn't the best, I came up with a better compromise ending in my head, but the overall tone of it worked), The Exorcist, and Phantasm, are all prime examples, even though I enjoy many of the sequels. I think much of II's success has to do with the rather confined setting/feeling of the original despite the mythology being grander in scope. Hellraiser II does take some of the oomph out of the original Cenobites in favor of the Dr. Channard Leviathan avatar, but I feel the story is better.

Hmm. Maybe ill check it out.

I do remember one of the sequels showed the cenobites getting their asses kicked by someone.

bro its starring this guy

Its an ok movie but the ending was a little bit of a let down and the beginning was a little slow but its decent for a bored one time go on netflix

Last edited:
Back