Horror News & Discussion Redux

I fucking loved It Follows. The score, the imagery... Truly unique with a heavy dose of retro.

Just watched It Follows. I really enjoyed it. I love the idea of something coming for you only you can see, and at the pace too. Really creative, including ideas from classic horror and making it really fresh. Also I'm from Detroit and it was really cool seeing all of those familiar Michigan sites.

Just watched It Follows. I really enjoyed it. I love the idea of something coming for you only you can see, and at the pace too. Really creative, including ideas from classic horror and making it really fresh. Also I'm from Detroit and it was really cool seeing all of those familiar Michigan sites.
Imo, It Follows is the gold standard of horror movies from recent years. A lot of win with that movie.

Watched Bad Ben last night. Hilarious. Dude literally gets GnP'd in his bed from a ghost and still tells the ghost to fuck off because he's determined to flip the house. Classic example of capitalist greed!

The Eyes Of My Mother is now available to watch on Netflix, I highly suggest checking this one out, it's extremely creepy and pretty damn gruesome.

Eyes+of+My+Mother.jpg

That building at the end with the pool in it....real?

The Devils Candy was pretty good. Worth a watch.

A film came out on VOD yesterday called The Void. HIGHLY RECCOMEND!!! Amazing horror film.

Yeah, I watched The Void last night. I definitely appreciate the effort but it was a little sloppy and all over the place imo. It had all the right ingredients but it was slightly over cooked.

To be fair I think my expectations may have been too high because I have been anticipating it since I heard about it a while ago and the trailers were intriguing. If it would've been something I watched on a whim on Netflix without any expectation I probably would've dug it a little more.

I did enjoy all the nods to films like Hellraiser, The Thing, Prince of Darkness and Lucio Fulci's The Beyond.

I would recommend it to horror fans especially fans of Lovecraft but I wouldn't recommend it to a casual horror watcher if that makes sense.

I guess I would give it an enthusiastic 7/10.

I plan on checking out Devil's Candy soon.

Last edited:
I thought Devil's Candy was really good. The ending was a little meh but not horrible and I was engaged the whole running time which was a perfect 79 min.

I wouldn't recommend Devil's Candy to slasher or gore hounds but if you are a fan of films like Frailty, Kill List and The VVitch I think you'd dig Devil's Candy.

8/10

lol, i saw the thumbnail and thought it was about arab broads

I thought Devil's Candy was really good. The ending was a little meh but not horrible and I was engaged the whole running time which was a perfect 79 min.

I wouldn't recommend Devil's Candy to slasher or gore hounds but if you are a fan of films like Frailty, Kill List and The VVitch I think you'd dig Devil's Candy.

8/10

Now, that I am reading Inferno, can you tie it into Devil's Candy???

lol, i saw the thumbnail and thought it was about arab broads

Now, that I am reading Inferno, can you tie it into Devil's Candy???

Ok. Challenge accepted.

I'll put this in spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen The Devil's Candy yet.

In the film the protagonist is an artist compelled to paint this image by a force he doesn't comprehend.

the-devils-candy-artwork.jpg

Here is a excerpt from Dante's Inferno's wiki and an accompanying image for illustrative purposes.

In the very centre of Hell, condemned for committing the ultimate sin (personal treachery against God), is the Devil, referred to by Virgil as Dis (the Roman god of the underworld; the name "Dis" was often used for Pluto in antiquity, such as in Virgil's Aeneid). The arch-traitor, Lucifer was once held by God to be fairest of the angels before pride caused his rebellion against God and resulted in his expulsion from Heaven. Lucifer is a giant, terrifying beast trapped waist-deep in the ice, fixed and suffering. He has three faces, each a different color: one red (the middle), one a pale yellow (the right), and one black (the left):

... he had three faces: one in front bloodred;
and then another two that, just above
the midpoint of each shoulder, joined the first;
and at the crown, all three were reattached;
the right looked somewhat yellow, somewhat white;
the left in its appearance was like those
who come from where the Nile, descending, flows.[104]

Dorothy L. Sayers notes that Satan's three faces are thought by some to suggest his control over the three human races: red for the Europeans (from Japheth), yellow for the Asiatic (from Shem), and black for the African (the race of Ham).[105] All interpretations recognize that the three faces represent a fundamental perversion of the Trinity: Satan is impotent, ignorant, and full of hate, in contrast to the all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-loving nature of God.[105] Lucifer retains his six wings (he originally belonged to the angelic order of Seraphim, described in Isaiah 6:2), but these are now dark, bat-like, and futile: the icy wind that emanates from the beating of Lucifer's wings only further ensures his own imprisonment in the frozen lake. He weeps from his six eyes, and his tears mix with bloody froth and pus as they pour down his three chins. Each face has a mouth that chews eternally on a prominent traitor. Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus dangle with their feet in the left and right mouths, respectively, for their involvement in the assassination of Julius Caesar (March 15, 44 BC) – an act which, to Dante, represented the destruction of a unified Italy and the killing of the man who was divinely appointed to govern the world.[105] In the central, most vicious mouth is Judas Iscariot, the apostle who betrayed Christ. Judas is receiving the most horrifying torture of the three traitors: his head is gnawed inside Lucifer's mouth while his back is forever flayed and shredded by Lucifer's claws. According to Dorothy L. Sayers, "just as Judas figures treason against God, so Brutus and Cassius figure treason against Man-in-Society; or we may say that we have here the images of treason against the Divine and the Secular government of the world."[105]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

satan-consuming-judas-from-dantes-inferno.jpg

the-shining-jack.gif

Last edited:

I can't really remember the last instance where I truly felt I had invested my time well watching a recent horror movie, but this was one of the few.

These guys came in pretty low imo in scoring The Void but outside of that I agree with most of what they had to say about it.

If you are a fan of practical effects, bizarre imagery and abstract horror I would still check it out but it does fall a little flat in the storytelling department.

Clown_(2014_film)_poster.jpeg
Just watched this last night. I had zero hope for it since it was touched by Eli Roth, but it was actually really good. Its on Netflix and totally recommend if your looking for a solid horror flick.

I fucking loved It Follows. The score, the imagery... Truly unique with a heavy dose of retro.

It definitely deserves a sequel and could even be worked into a franchise. Super simple idea that an entire franchise could be built around.

Back