Hopkins/Smith - is there a debate here?

platypus44

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I guess Hopkins argues he was pushed out of the ring - I looked at a tape and it looks like this is bullshit but does anyone here think he has a point?
Also shouldn't Hopkins have been allowed one second for each year of his age to get back into the ring? That would have given him 51 seconds.

Hopkins is a clown. He lost. He's always been a crybaby when things got hot.

Hopkins is always looking for excuses when he loses. He also has a habit of looking at ways to get out when things aren't going his way. Smith knocked his ass out of the ring legit. I think Hopkins started claiming an ankle injury when nothing was remotely close to touching or twisting his ankle.

Hopkins is always looking for excuses when he loses. He also has a habit of looking at ways to get out when things aren't going his way. Smith knocked his ass out of the ring legit. I think Hopkins started claiming an ankle injury when nothing was remotely close to touching or twisting his ankle.
He couldn't remember which part of his body to grab, he's pulled that nonsense so many times.

Hopkins is a clown. He lost. He's always been a crybaby when things got hot.

I think Hopkins is legit - his style doesn't produce great entertainment but he is a master at what he does. But I agree that his excuse in this situation is bullshit after looking at the tapes a few times. I do think that they should give people assistance getting back into the ring - it's not the same as a knockout. On the other hand, the rules are the rules and - of all people - Hopkins should know how to take advantage of the rules.

Pretty much everyone on this board had Hopkins winning at the time of the obvious foul that sent him out of the ropes. Most of us, except maybe Seano feel Bhop should have got the win via DQ

Pretty much everyone on this board had Hopkins winning at the time of the obvious foul that sent him out of the ropes. Most of us, except maybe Seano feel Bhop should have got the win via DQ

So - was the "obvious" foul a push? It didn't look that obvious to me. It looked like Hopkins took a series of punches and fell back out of the ring.

I'm a big Hopkins fan, but he lost fair. Hopkins will argue any loss no matter what. It's just who he is.

I read one source which said that of the three judges - Taylor had Smith ahead 69-64, Cheatham had Smith ahead 67-66, and Russell had Hopkins ahead 66-67. Of course, this doesn't count the eighth round which - even if Hopkins hadn't fallen out of the ring - would almost certainly have been unanimously scored for Smith.

I'm a Hopkins fan. He's lost too much at this point, though. If he didn't go through the ropes that fight was going to turn really ugly for him.

Back