Hook in training vs actual hook

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Thing is, I'm little confused

They teach you hook like,

maxresdefault.jpg

But, if you think about it, watch fights, and all, most of them throw more wider hook with a longer reach. It's confusing because if you throw hook like how they teach, unless you have long arm, it feels like you have to be pretty dam close to a guy to hit him with it

But, in reality, this seems to happen mostly.

jeff-left-hook-lacy-professional-boxer-lands-face-scott-pemberton-image-taken-color-slide-50626726.jpg

1972-Muhammad-Ali-Bob-Foster-014476414.jpg

how-to-throw-the-hook.jpg

I do understand that they do differentiate between long hooks and whatever, but when they teach you how to 'hook', don't they usually teach you how to throw it like the one in the first pic, if you know what I mean

Hooking how it’s usually taught is going to teach you the proper punching mechanics using good hip rotation, not just arm punching.

Hooking how it’s usually taught is going to teach you the proper punching mechanics using good hip rotation, not just arm punching.

But like no one punches like that :

There is a distance discrepancy, you're right about that. There are few trainers who make a distinction between how to land the hook and various ways to hook for different reasons. That's because they just teach you A basic form of the punch and then leave the rest to you.

This^
You have to teach it some way, after you learn that basic way you can do it however you want.

The basic way it’s taught keeps you using proper punching mechanics for the hook. If you want any sort of power in your hoook when it’s extended you will still need to use the same mechanics as the short hook.

I’m also pretty sure you’ll find plenty of text book looking hook punches out there if you look.

These pictures just show the final placement of the fist. All of them are using the basic mechanics of the hook, as taught by the close hook.

^I don't think leaving the fighter to figure out distance on their own is correct. That's what my post was indicating. That's not taught by many instructors because they don't know how to teach it, not because it's the right way to do it.

^I don't think leaving the fighter to figure out distance on their own is correct. That's what my post was indicating. That's not taught by many instructors because they don't know how to teach it, not because it's the right way to do it.

Yeah sure I agree with you, but you have to start somewhere?

Last edited:
From my experience and.from what I have seen in the.Eastern block they do not teach much long range hooks they teach you some kind of an over hand jab or just jabbing. I have seen and heart many times in western culture fight 1-2-3. But.I was always told to 1-2-1. Or for longer mid range combos 1-2-1-2 or 1-2-left uppercut-2

That over-hand jab you describe IS the long hook.

I like this instruction with focus on different range left hook.

I only started to get in parts proper form after a coach worked with me on the details. I tried to learn from videos only but did not succeed at all. Imo a very difficult punch to learn on your own.

We only learn it as a short range punch. It was my coaches best punch with whom he ended quite some fights so I will stick to that for now.Amir Khan should be a good example for a long left hook.

Last edited:
@ts
My oldschool russian amateur boxing trainer says that's how to teach it (the correct way because of etc)... 1x1 school of boxing as he says in German. Use ur hips and shoulder.
In a fight you can throw all variations... short, middle or long distance hooks.

Last edited:

And there it is, what's generally wrong with many an instructor I have come across, it's all parrot fashion. If you ask them why and how to use it effectively you will draw a blank, just asking them why they teach something in a certain fashion will get you the response of "That's the way I was taught".........

You will come across very few trainers that actually understand the system they are teaching........

And there it is, what's generally wrong with many an instructor I have come across, it's all parrot fashion. If you ask them why and how to use it effectively you will draw a blank, just asking them why they teach something in a certain fashion will get you the response of "That's the way I was taught".........

You will come across very few trainers that actually understand the system they are teaching........

And you’ll find even less on here that understand any of it either.
Just opened ended statements.

Back