Honour & Respect

Shamrocker

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The anniversary of one of the saddest days in music history is upon us again.John Lennon & Dimebag Darrell Abbott we’re both murdered on this Day December 8th.
John Lennon was 1980 & Darrell Abbott was 2004.
Rest in peace dear brothers,your music will be in our hearts today and everyday.181A5DFC-CDA3-4B59-99CE-4A47E3C4D7CC.jpeg

Dime was not only an all time great metal guitarist, he was also an all time great dude.

A buddy of mine was in this off beat punkish Sublime type band, best way I can describe it. Anyway, he worked for a guy that did some of Dimes guitars (custom stuff). So anyway, we're at a gig and dude comes up dying laughing telling me I've got to listen to his voicemail. We go outside and I hop on the phone and it's a drunk ass Dimebag going on about how much he loves my buddies band (he held up his phone so one could here a track of theirs playing) he then goes on about rock n roll and how they just need to keep rocking out lol. It was awesome, and something he didn't have to do. I've met him in person myself too and he was always a genuinely nice dude. I can't say enough about him.

He is missed. Sorry, I have no John Lennon stories lol

Dime was not only an all time great metal guitarist, he was also an all time great dude.

A buddy of mine was in this off beat punkish Sublime type band, best way I can describe it. Anyway, he worked for a guy that did some of Dimes guitars (custom stuff). So anyway, we're at a gig and dude comes up dying laughing telling me I've got to listen to his voicemail. We go outside and I hop on the phone and it's a drunk ass Dimebag going on about how much he loves my buddies band (he held up his phone so one could here a track of theirs playing) he then goes on about rock n roll and how they just need to keep rocking out lol. It was awesome, and something he didn't have to do. I've met him in person myself too and he was always a genuinely nice dude. I can't say enough about him.

He is missed. Sorry, I have no John Lennon stories lol
Killer story m8,I’ve met an enormous amount of cool rockers but sadly never Dime.But your story is like every other Ive heard related to him,he was just an amazing,genuinely cool person.
Your lucky to have met him man..cheers!

Aye I’ve sadly no Lennon stories either:(

As a kid I remember Lennon's murder. My dad was always a McCartney fan and never cared for Lennon, while I was a George Harrison fan.

I miss Dime too, Pantera would have reformed and put out 2-3 albums by now.

I got into Pantera late, and i really didn't mind Damageplan.

A test of how great Dime was is that nobody's really been able to replicate his tone or riff style. And you can bet your ass people have tried.

To have such heavy groove/tone in his hands with the majority of his riffs written in a standard setting and not drop tuning is crazy.
Then to hear from people like Scott Ian and Kerry King that he was tanked on JD's most of the time and still killed it live is even crazier.

As a kid I remember Lennon's murder. My dad was always a McCartney fan and never cared for Lennon, while I was a George Harrison fan.

Your dads taste is diabolique.

I was a bit young to remember Lennon being murdered but being from that part of the world I was made aware of it in the years to follow.Plus he was a Beatle after all.Dime being murdered bothers me tremendously still..just a guitarist I grew up with so it hits home.
Aye m8 imagine the albums Dime w/ Pantera AND Lennon w/ the Beatles could have written by now!!..fucking beyond sad.

I got into Pantera late, and i really didn't mind Damageplan.

A test of how great Dime was is that nobody's really been able to replicate his tone or riff style. And you can bet your ass people have tried.

To have such heavy groove/tone in his hands with the majority of his riffs written in a standard setting and not drop tuning is crazy.
Then to hear from people like Scott Ian and Kerry King that he was tanked on JD's most of the time and still killed it live is even crazier.
Absolutely right pal..not a player yet to match his style of riffer madness!Plenty of groove heavy,drop D tuning and the like but no Dime.4ED01BCD-D5C1-4165-B8E6-A7D638C277F9.jpeg

I was a bit young to remember Lennon being murdered but being from that part of the world I was made aware of it in the years to follow.Plus he was a Beatle after all.Dime being murdered bothers me tremendously still..just a guitarist I grew up with so it hits home.
Aye m8 imagine the albums Dime w/ Pantera AND Lennon w/ the Beatles could have written by now!!..fucking beyond sad.
It's weird I was just watching this a couple months ago

Back