Honestly.... is the gi really a good idea ?

You can choke people unconscious without a Gi, you know?

I am aware. However, the the question is, why bother training in the gi if you're not gonna use the grips available to you? For example, if you and I are rolling and you take my back, if I know you don't go for chokes, that makes it a lot easier for me and less realistic for me because I don't even have to defend my lapel. Kinda silly.

the the question is, why bother training in the gi if you're not gonna use the grips available to you? .

So that I am prepared for anything an opponent or attacker might do: grab my clothes, grab my gi, go for gi chokes, etc. (in addition to training with strikes).

I get the best of both worlds: the technically of defending and escaping Gi/jacket/clothes techniques, and the overall higher level of defence required for gi, without myself relying on any kind of grip or technique that may not be available to me, based on what my opponent is wearing or not wearing.

So that I am prepared for anything an opponent or attacker might do: grab my clothes, grab my gi, go for gi chokes, etc. (in addition to training with strikes).

I get the best of both worlds: the technically of defending and escaping Gi/jacket/clothes techniques, and the overall higher level of defence required for gi, without myself relying on any kind of grip or technique that may not be available to me, based on what my opponent is wearing or not wearing.

Maybe it's just me, but I find escaping back mount in the gi significantly easier than doing so no-gi. Even though there's more chokes to defend with the gi, I find it much harder to defend a good RNC in no-gi than the collar stuff with gi since there's less space between my neck and his forearm. Also, in the gi it's much easier to scoot your hips out to a perpendicular angle and use grips to counterattack his far leg.

Maybe it's just me, but I find escaping back mount in the gi significantly easier than doing so no-gi. Even though there's more chokes to defend with the gi, I find it much harder to defend a good RNC in no-gi than the collar stuff with gi since there's less space between my neck and his forearm. Also, in the gi it's much easier to scoot your hips out to a perpendicular angle and use grips to counterattack his far leg.

I'm going to disagree with....everything you said.

Theoretically sure, but it's increadbly unlikely. Only about 5 in every 100,000 people are murdered, only a fraction of those murders could even theoretically be prevented through martial arts and only a fraction of those would have been stoped if the the victim had known martial arts.
Your like 50x more likely to get seriously hurt training BJJ/muay thai then actually getting mugged/attacked in real life situations.

Your pretty much guaranteeing yourself at least moderate injury by training contact sports for the hopes that someday it will bail you out of a situation that will probably never happen

no gi rolling is fucking gross.

absolutely hate getting in contact with another person's sweat.

Einarr has killed plenty on teh streetz with osotos, so it works I guess

I'm pretty sure I can manage a cross choke, a bow and arrow, a loop choke or a baseball bat choke with pretty much any type of T-shirts, hoodies, jacket or even a deep V-neck.

You can also manage pretty much anytype of grips if they have long sleeves, and anytype of pants that are not yoga pants.

So your arch nemesis if you do only gi training is pretty much this

View attachment 286373
Rip her gi off! and go pure No-gi! Problem solved

They're all nasty in some ways, you get the dipshits that don't wash their shit. The ones that are too cheap to buy more than 1 gi, and wash theirs once a week or longer.

Right because when rolling in the gi you don’t get at all In contact with anyone’s sweat.

If anything, the gi is way worst, some people don’t always wash their his, it’s very common to hang it and let it dry. Rash guards at least are always being washed after every class.

If you are unconfortable with someone’s sweat on your face, ballet seems like a better place spend time.

Last edited:
Having sex is so gross, you get other ppl's sweat, blood, and goop all over u

Gi sucks, train no-gi.

The cheap schools have health hazard mats anyway it's not the sweat you should be worried about but the fungi and the cheap cleaners they use that contain chlorine compounds. Actually expensive schools also use cleaners with hypochlorite salts and shit, free asthma, skin and eye burns. And some say that gi practitioners are smarter than the rest of the fighters, yeah right.

Last edited:
Gi sucks, train no-gi.

The cheap schools have health hazard mats anyway it's not the sweat you should be worried about but the fungi and the cheap cleaners they use that contain chlorine compounds. Actually expensive schools also use cleaners with hypochlorite salts and shit, free asthma, skin and eye burns. And some say that gi practitioners are smarter than the rest of the fighters, yeah right.
aka Puzzle mats.

Zebra mats are GOAT, but damn its $200 per mat. At least they have great customer support though.
Having sex is so gross, you get other ppl's sweat, blood, and goop all over u
These days you catch shit without even having secks! Friend of mine got warts from a pool in the Dominican

Back