Homophobic Republican State Rep.

You can tell they are making you uncomfortable without yelling you're a straight guy with a wife. It's weird.
Only because you want it to be.

We need to make up our minds and be honest here. Are straight white people allowed to feel uncomfortable or not? Lets be honest, if that were a woman, the conversation would be different. "No unwanted touching, pretty simple!" I've seen it used here for several female victims and male "attackers." Are we really so conditioned that we believe straight whites need to just deal with what is deemed unacceptable for everyone else? Sure seems like it on this forum.

edit- thats what bugs me about the left today. You're not looking for equality, you're looking to punish people.

We need to make up our minds and be honest here. Are straight white people allowed to feel uncomfortable or not? Lets be honest, if that were a woman, the conversation would be different. "No unwanted touching, pretty simple!" I've seen it used here for several female victims and male "attackers." Are we really so conditioned that we believe straight whites need to just deal with what is deemed unacceptable for everyone else? Sure seems like it on this forum.

edit- thats what bugs me about the left today. You're not looking for equality, you're looking to punish people.

What bothers me with the right is they are not looking for equality

What bothers me with the right is they are not looking for equality
The search for equality no longer exists. We've realized as a society that we'll never have it so the solution is to knock certain people down a peg. We no longer look to better people or ourselves.

The search for equality no longer exists. We've realized as a society that we'll never have it so the solution is to knock certain people down a peg. We no longer look to better people or ourselves.

I refuse to ever have such a pessimistic view of society. Sounds to be like the conservatives have given up and are just reverting back to their old bigoted ways. Lets see who wins

Seano The point that you seem to be missing is that there was nothing remotely sexual about touching somebody on the wrist for about half of a second. Ranting about your sexuality in such a situation is absolutely bizarre and it has nothing to do with being a left or right wing.

Politically, I agree with about 95% of what you have to say...

on this specific issue, regarding this State rep, I disagree.

It's one thing, if he politely asked his colleague, "excuse me, would you mind not touching me? "

This State rep went above and behind, and seemed like he wanted to shame his gay colleague, for being gay...

It came off as petty, insulting and condescending.

I refuse to ever have such a pessimistic view of society. Sounds to be like the conservatives have given up and are just reverting back to their old bigoted ways. Lets see who wins
Refuse all you want. It is. No one does anything to help elevate the "less fortunate." Just the opposite in fact. Its a fight to keep them there and blame everyone else.

Politically, I agree with about 95% of what you have to say...

on this specific issue, regarding this State rep, I disagree.

It's one thing, if he politely asked his colleague, "excuse me, would you mind not touching me? "

This State rep went above and behind, and seemed like he wanted to shame his gay colleague, for being gay...

It came off as petty, insulting and condescending.
Why?Being gay is not shameful in 2017. You're saying he shamed this man by stating that he has a different sexual preference? Come on.

Why?Being gay is not shameful in 2017. You're saying he shamed this man by stating that he has a different sexual preference? Come on.

Respectfully disagree my friend.

but you're right about other things in this thread.

The guy doesn't want someone touching him. Whats the problem? When Adam Sandler touched some woman on TV, it was world wide news.

He has the right to not be touched. He should just say he doesn’t want to be touched. Why all the rest?

For the record, since it seems to be lost in here. Bradford (the guy who harmlessly briefly touched another man's arm) is married to a woman and has 4 children.

He handled that poorly with his diatribe but the take away is he said you don't have to touch me all the time. If this was a one time thing I doubt he would have said something.

There are people I don't like who are very touchy and it bothers me when they give you a pat on the shoulder every time they walk by. It builds. I will see them coming and I just know they are going to touch me and I start to cringe before it even happens.

He has the right to not be touched. He should just say he doesn’t want to be touched. Why all the rest?
Again, its not taboo to point out that people are gay today. Its not 1950.

The guy is not gay, Seano. He is a heterosexual guy with a wife and 4 kids who briefly touched someone's arm.

The guy is not gay, Seano. He is just a normal guy who briefly touched someone's arm.
Doesn't matter. He said he is uncomfortable with the contact because he is a straight man and doesn't like men handling him. Thats what you do when someone makes you feel uncomfortable with physical advances.

As I said, if this were a woman, most of you would be on the other side of the argument.

Doesn't matter. He said he is uncomfortable with the contact because he is a straight man and doesn't like men handling him. Thats what you do when someone makes you feel uncomfortable with physical advances.

As I said, if this were a woman, most of you would be on the other side of the argument.

Lol, Absolutely not. Nothing even happened. A guy touched a guy's arm for a second.

The reaction was about the least mature and least masculine response he could possibly give. That level of insecurity is just bizarre. It is fine to ask somebody not to touch you. To accuse somebody of being gay, rant about how you're heterosexual and that maybe they can go find some gay guy in their own political party to touch, etc, is absolutely bizarre behavior.

I honestly can't imagine ANY professional adult I know or work with behaving half that insecurely. It reminded me of when I was in like 2nd grade in 1994 and little kids would be like, "You touched him on the shoulder, you're gay! Hey everybody, he's gay!" Lol. Ridiculous.

But it was totally irrelevant to the situation. I have lots of handsy straight friends. It’s like implying the waitress at the diner I frequent is putting her hand on my shoulder and calling me “hon” because she is putting the moves on me. The guy was trying to get his attention. Do you the think Rep has never touched another guy to get his attention?

To summarize, I think the Rep handled it poorly. I also think that other politicians getting involved is dumb. His actions will speak for themself for those who see the video.

Back