• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Homebuilt gun storage?

jericksen5

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Looking for a storage solution for my basement of the new house in just moved into. I have an unfinished basement, and turned it into my mancave of course. I am looking for a way to store/mount some guns. Not worried about theft as much, I'm in a nice neighborhood and have an alarm system. Looking for some way to mount them out of the way and semi display them in my mancave. 5 rifles and 3 handguns.

A traditional pegboard wall would be cool, but I have to figure out how to mount this to the unfinished concrete wall. I was hoping not to use tapcons, or maybe someone here has an altogether better idea?

You could go Fancy:
9e2f4dc2f01622386d19710cb3c63d88.jpg

or simple:

USMC%20Iraq%20Maltais%20Gun%20Storage.jpg

Gallowtech Link
They sell pre-configured packages or a build your own. Obviously it is glorified pegboard but it is much better and the accessories that hold the rifles, pistols, mags, etc are really nice.

double-wall-banner.jpg

11806926924_25909ee409.jpg

10632003_323360134505358_1871753280_n.jpg

11078700_349842435209085_1218950169_n.jpg

If you are talented with wood working you can make some nice gun racks pretty easily.
Wooden-Gun-Rack-Diagram.gif

gunrack.jpg

6-Gun-Large-copy.jpg

21a38f2823e7770dcfe122f38051e296.jpg

Or something as simple as this, doesn't look as nice but works, also don't put the peg through the trigger guard.
GunRack.jpg

This also looks pretty simple and pretty decent.
DSCF0065.JPG

You could mix and match some of the stuff into a nice display.

DSC_0257.jpg

Saw this online. Pretty cool. Wouldn't be too hard to make if you can weld.

DSC_0257.jpg

Saw this online. Pretty cool. Wouldn't be too hard to make if you can weld.

Mounting it will be a bitch and for someone like me who may be moving out soon and renting/leasing my own place I will admit that probably isn't an option.

I kinda want to build one of those vertical racks like the one posted earlier in this thread. Stick it in a corner and you're good to go.

RerouteToRemain said:

This one.

I've been doing some digging, and found some cool gun racks made from pallets. I can get pallets from work for free, so these would be low cost.

462c88c519034d307a17b3edb4262ab3.jpg

84f3694eda48a2d7c8fbb01218aad10d.jpg

Just make sure you have a solid reinforced door, lock and frame that secures access to the basement.

Who has 7 identical AR-15s plus 7 custom builds?

Edit

Last edited:
I've had a large closet converted into my armory for some time. Two solid core doors and some locks have always left me wanting a gun safe. But with my collection it would have to be a very large safe.

And, like you, I like to have my collection on display for my own amusement and tinkering but have recently purchased a home with a very large basement. My plan is to build a new armory/safe room by walling off part of the basement with cinderblocks and buy a vault door. I have a $2500 door picked out which is a bit less than a comparable safe. I plan on finishing out the inside with a modular design wall, several large cabinets, workbench, and ammo storage. But make it nice with recessed lighting, dehumidifier, and plenty of power outlets, internet, etc.

I have plan for a security system and DVR storage in the safe room as well. But all of these things cost money. I budget about $6k for the project doing 90% of the work myself.

That sounds awesome. Keep us updated, I would definitely be interested in seeing the completed project.

I've had a large closet converted into my armory for some time. Two solid core doors and some locks have always left me wanting a gun safe. But with my collection it would have to be a very large safe.

And, like you, I like to have my collection on display for my own amusement and tinkering but have recently purchased a home with a very large basement. My plan is to build a new armory/safe room by walling off part of the basement with cinderblocks and buy a vault door. I have a $2500 door picked out which is a bit less than a comparable safe. I plan on finishing out the inside with a modular design wall, several large cabinets, workbench, and ammo storage. But make it nice with recessed lighting, dehumidifier, and plenty of power outlets, internet, etc.

I have plan for a security system and DVR storage in the safe room as well. But all of these things cost money. I budget about $6k for the project doing 90% of the work myself.

Absolutely badass. Color me jealous.

If you are referring to the Gallowtech pictures I posted some are just demos and some are customer supplied.

Ha! I didn't actually think those were yours.

I just meant it looked like a mid-sized gun shop or police armory rather than a home storage/display demo.

Excessive, by all but stoic's standards.

If you can get to rural areas check out auction sales. I see 10 gun cases, the basic ones with a glass front but made with hardwood, sell for less than $100 all the time.

As reroutetoremain posted if you are handy its not hard. I measured cabelas racks when I was there one day and built these.
image_zps0l7la8w6.jpg

I need to build some more and pistol racks and better ammo storage but I turned a closet into an armory.
image_zps44bomzj8.jpg

image_zpsfzwzdngw.jpg

Back