Home training

Mike K.O

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a problem.
Until recently, I've been training in a boxing club. But I'm unable to train there anymore. There are no other gyms in my town, and I can't afford goin to a big city every day, and I still have school. I've been training since I was 8 (17 right now). I will start competing when I'm 18. What can I do at home to stay in shape? Obviously shadow boxing and Strength exercises. Something good besides that?
Edit: This thread is for confirming my training methods. Also, my style is kinda slef thaught (I'd explain if you are curious).

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a problem.
Until recently, I've been training in a boxing club. But I'm unable to train there anymore. There are no other gyms in my town, and I can't afford goin to a big city every day, and I still have school. I've been training since I was 8 (17 right now). I will start competing when I'm 18. What can I do at home to stay in shape? Obviously shadow boxing and Strength exercises. Something good besides that?

Get a double end bag up or make one. so cheap.
Use weights or make your own.
Get a heavy bag up or water filled buoy.
Find a place to run on some days sprints on others.
Skipping ropes are 10 bucks.

The main thing you'll be missing is sparring. But Im sure there is open sparring once a week somewhere you can goto.

EDIT:

1. Wait, you trained since you were 8, are now 17...but have never competed???

2. Howcome youre asking people on here how to train, I trained around your ages and never needed to ask anyone how (those years of experience teach you how)

The main thing you'll be missing is sparring. But Im sure there is open sparring once a week somewhere you can goto.

EDIT: wait, you trained since you were 8, are now 17...but have never competed???
Yeah I competed, but those were local fights. Not sure if those were even official. They mostly took place at either our gym, or at our sports arena.

Skipping ropes are 10 bucks.

EDIT:

1. Wait, you trained since you were 8, are now 17...but have never competed???

2. Howcome youre asking people on here how to train, I trained around your ages and never needed to ask anyone how (those years of experience teach you how)
I'm asking to have my methods confirmed. Still, thanks for your time.

I did roadwork before a knee injury. But my cardio is pretty good, so I only need to keep it at that level. Can go 30min of fighting.
Swimming is a good alternative. Coaches don’t mind a rusty fighter who’s in good shape. They deplor out of shape guys who used to have some skills

Swimming is a good alternative. Coaches don’t mind a rusty fighter who’s in good shape. They deplor out of shape guys who used to have some skills
I'll probably still spar from time to time. Some of the guys I know also train, so we can train together. Thanks

I never found anything better than shadow boxing and shadow wrestling. People don't train either enough. There's a reason these exercises survived the millenia (skiamachia in ancient Greek, for example). Some champs don't hit the bags, some don't spar, but nobody skips shadow boxing.

And then we have this:
“Shadow Randori is one of the most underrated forms of training. When I lived in Ibaraghi province, teaching physical education in a High School for seven years, from the age of 23 I didn’t have many good training partners. So each evening, after training and Randori, when the sky was so dark, I went to the athletics track, stand in the middle and do my Shadow Randori for an hour or so. There are many kinds you can do. You can practice just one technique or combination or counter, one hundred times, two hundred times or more. There is no shortage of training partners in Shadow Randori. You can train with tall, thin men, or short, fat men or fast, unpredictable men; all you need is your imagination. At first, it feels a little artificial and very silly, and you appreciate the dark nights, without moon or stars. But gradually as you train yourself to really visualize your partner and the situation, it becomes increasingly real. After a few months, if you practice in the full glare of daylight, it looks as if you are working with a partner who can be truly felt, but not seen. This is when the Shadow Randori begins to benefit you. That is when the real work can begin.“ ("Fighting Judo", by Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki , Pelham Books Ltd 1985)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuhiko_Kashiwazaki

I never found anything better than shadow boxing and shadow wrestling. People don't train either enough. There's a reason these exercises survived the millenia (skiamachia in ancient Greek, for example). Some champs don't hit the bags, some don't spar, but nobody skips shadow boxing.

And then we have this:
“Shadow Randori is one of the most underrated forms of training. When I lived in Ibaraghi province, teaching physical education in a High School for seven years, from the age of 23 I didn’t have many good training partners. So each evening, after training and Randori, when the sky was so dark, I went to the athletics track, stand in the middle and do my Shadow Randori for an hour or so. There are many kinds you can do. You can practice just one technique or combination or counter, one hundred times, two hundred times or more. There is no shortage of training partners in Shadow Randori. You can train with tall, thin men, or short, fat men or fast, unpredictable men; all you need is your imagination. At first, it feels a little artificial and very silly, and you appreciate the dark nights, without moon or stars. But gradually as you train yourself to really visualize your partner and the situation, it becomes increasingly real. After a few months, if you practice in the full glare of daylight, it looks as if you are working with a partner who can be truly felt, but not seen. This is when the Shadow Randori begins to benefit you. That is when the real work can begin.“ ("Fighting Judo", by Katsuhiko Kashiwazaki , Pelham Books Ltd 1985)

I do about 36 min shadowboxing everyday. It really improved my cardio(can't do road work) and speed.

What can I do at home to stay in shape? Obviously shadow boxing and Strength exercises. Something good besides that?
Edit: This thread is for confirming my training methods. Also, my style is kinda self taught (I'd explain if you are curious).

Well you are not very clear on what your requirements are, what do you want to do or achieve?

E.g.
  • Cardio
  • Muscular endurance
  • Dynamic or static stretching
  • Conditioning
  • Mobility training techniques
  • Weights
  • Isometrics
  • Resistance
  • Plyometric
  • Speed
  • Strength
  • Core specific training
  • Circuit training
  • Balance/ stability exercises
  • Movement training
I do all the above and will share what I recommend.

I have a home studio as a Martial Artist and Personal Trainer I would recommend keeping up with hand/kick speed work and accuracy for sharpness.

For that I use a double-ended bag.

Heaps of really good YouTubes you can follow on a Tablet/iPad for example this one........

Relax breath and think as you strike the bag, fight visualization is vital it will increase your strike rate and situational awareness, so move around as you strike and parry/block.

For home Boxing online coaching advice go to here visit this YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/tripleVVV3/videos

This is my fav for beginners..........

Keep your stretching daily here use this.......

You can buy some good books as study reading material with deep info and training methods and types of exercises or workouts to do at home. Running at the beach is great and less stress on knees.................. heaps of cycling is great as well uphills and long distance 25-55km rides just carry heaps of water.

I don't want to overload you but as for Methods thats plenty in this post.

And then we have this:

You are very spot on. Shadow (anything) gets you accustomed to movement patterns, and ingrains reflexes into your CNS that come from reacting to a stimulus. There is quite a bit of adaptation that occurs.

One of the biggest things I've noticed in any sport is being able to be fluid. It's the same thing as practicing a dance, you don't want to get off one or two moves and then not know what to do as a follow up. In boxing, if you don't know how to follow up you get hit.

I fight the way I shadow box. The way you move when you shadow is more than likely how you will move in the ring, it is a visualization process to connect mind and body, strategy and action.

It is so funny because I've participated in a number of combat sports. In boxing we call it shadow boxing. In Judo I always personally called it "shadow randori", but I never knew someone had actually called it that officially. lol.

Do a ton of running and cardio. Steady state, and high intensity.

As far as boxing, one of the first things to be hindered when being away from the gym is cardio.

Continue to shadow box diligently and study tapes (fights).

I would not recommend trying to make too many advancements technically until you get back in the gym or can test them during sparring. Work on your basics, and try to master them. You can never work the basics enough, they are your foundation. You may find yourself getting too fancy and have to return to them.

Get some sparring in, even when I'm not at the gym we spar on the basketball courts. It takes minor adjustments, and being aware of your surroundings. Do it with control, and remember that in competition you won't have a ring the size of a basketball court so be realistic in the space you give yourself to work. lol

Huh, I forgot one thing have a video camera sitting on a tall tripod and record yourself, then watch your mistakes, make corrections, self study and improvement is vital!

You can use an iPad as well sitting up high!

Damn fun doing this as well, you get to show off to your family members LoL ;)

Roadwork, jump rope, shadowboxing with weights, explosive exercises, plyometrics.

If your technique isn't sound then skip the home training and wait.

Back