Holy Cow! Craig Jones Just Tapped Shields

I don’t thinks that’s going to happen, no one is leglocking Gordon, or Gary or edddie or as a matter of fact any of the dds boys
I don't think anyone is leg locking those guys either but I've been studying their heel hooks since early 2014 and I do think Craig Jones' heel hooks are on their level.

I don't think anyone is leg locking those guys either but I've been studying their heel hooks since early 2014 and I do think Craig Jones' heel hooks are on their level.

they are! I dont think anyone is heel hooking craig for that matter either lol....

Common sense would debunk that theory based on the fact that Shields fought at 170 prior to his move to 185, and immediately after failing that test for his fight at 185 he moved back down to 170. Someone having a hard time cutting the weight at 185 wouldn't leave the comfort of the 185 division to cut an additional 15 lbs if he was having trouble cutting weight to fight at 185.

It's obvious Shields was roiding for that fight and I'm saying that as a Shields fan.

That’s quite an assumption and not as clear cut as you make it out to seem. It’s just as likely that he knew he was going up in weight and over shot his walking weight before/during camp. No proof either way.

I forgot how he subbed him, but I was surprised. But he did flying triangle someone.

Craig Jones beat Lo with a RNC after messing up Lo's knee with a heel hook. He beat Murillo Santana with a flying triangle. It was a really impressive ADCC performance and made me buy his DVDs.

I love how Jones just simply released a DVD on his leg lock game and is open to answering questions while the DDS guys just sit on information and act like its the holy grail that only the blessed ones in their gym are allowed to be exposed to.

As submission grappling evolves as a sport and moves further from the cage, it's reasonable to assume that we will see more focus on finishes and transitions that downplay the risk of striking. I don't believe that there were any UFC heel hook submissions in 2017. Maybe the DDS guys will transition and reshape MMA.

As submission grappling evolves as a sport and moves further from the cage, it's reasonable to assume that we will see more focus on finishes and transitions that downplay the risk of striking. I don't believe that there were any UFC heel hook submissions in 2017. Maybe the DDS guys will transition and reshape MMA.

Toquinho is out, and the vast mojority of fighters are wrestlers/boxers...some very traditional bjj players... as the new wave come up, I expect to see a lot more hh, not as prominet as in subgrappling is couese

I love how Jones just simply released a DVD on his leg lock game and is open to answering questions while the DDS guys just sit on information and act like its the holy grail that only the blessed ones in their gym are allowed to be exposed to.

This is a big reason why I became a big fan of Craig Jones, plus he seems like a decent dude. He's willing to share his knowledge and not be secretive about it. The DDS guys and their coach on the other hand, not so much. Can you imagine If BJJ first came to the states and the Gracies and the Machados was secretve about their martial art?

I had a feeling something like that would happen; Danaher putting a muzzle on his guys and wanting to sit on information to try and preserve a 'comparative advantage', only for other guys to develop a high level on their own anyways and beat them to the punch.

If they released one now at some point within the foreseeable future it would still likely sell good just on their 'brand' cache alone, but the chance too have struck big while they were the only game in town and everyone was amazed by new developments and looking for material anywhere they can get has been missed.

Last edited:
If they released one now at some point within the foreseeable future it would still likely sell good just on their 'brand' cache alone, but the chance too have struck big while they were the only game in town and everyone was amazed by new developments and looking for guides anywhere they can get has been missed.

I'm much more interested in how the DDS sub people from the back in no-gi, the heel hooks are banned in the IBJJF-rules tournaments I compete in anyway.

Well sure, but would you say you represent a remuneratively significant demographic?

Last edited:
Well sure, but would you say you represent a remuneratively significant demographic?

I would say there is a large demographic of people interested in IBJJF legal stuff, but I don't think finishes from the back appeal to people that much. Very few people in my experience are interested in doing something basic well.

Can you imagine If BJJ first came to the states and the Gracies and the Machados was secretve about their martial art?

They were. They had strict rules about not being able to show anyone what you learned in class.

I'm much more interested in how the DDS sub people from the back in no-gi, the heel hooks are banned in the IBJJF-rules tournaments I compete in anyway.
Yeah there's a ton of info out now that can be found on their leg systems.

Less on their back control, kimura, and front headlock systems.

That's what I want to see

Yeah there's a ton of info out now that can be found on their leg systems.

Less on their back control, kimura, and front headlock systems.

That's what I want to see
I’m having a group private with Gordon Ryan in a few weeks along with the other coaches at my gym, and I’m the only one who is asking for front headlock or kimura work or transitioning between the control systems. I’ll still go, but I really feel like I’d get a lot more out of something besides the leg stuff (because I’ve been obsessively studying it for the past couple years anyway).

I would say there is a large demographic of people interested in IBJJF legal stuff, but I don't think finishes from the back appeal to people that much. Very few people in my experience are interested in doing something basic well.
For real . I’m a brown and marinated in basics as my instructor was a Cesar Gracie student for years . Lot of dudes nowadays wanna learn s new move everyday on YouTube but have shit badics . Kid cane to our gym . Solid blue . Had owon pans and tons of regionals1. 8 year old . (CA). He got a sweet beeimbolo on me and now and arrowwed me . Cool. We then did positional sparring . Kid couldn’t hold mount for shit . Couldn’t esscpe toght side control . Mount escape was nil basically . It’s :eek::eek::eek::eek: he had a real niche , specialized game with lot of cool tricks but was lacking in the “ invisible BJJ” type shit . Not everybody is like this of course , but too many dudes need to go back to day one Shit and refine it rather than learn drill berimbolo entries for a million reps .

For real . I’m a brown and marinated in basics as my instructor was a Cesar Gracie student for years . Lot of dudes nowadays wanna learn s new move everyday on YouTube but have shit badics . Kid cane to our gym . Solid blue . Had owon pans and tons of regionals1. 8 year old . (CA). He got a sweet beeimbolo on me and now and arrowwed me . Cool. We then did positional sparring . Kid couldn’t hold mount for shit . Couldn’t esscpe toght side control . Mount escape was nil basically . It’s :eek::eek::eek::eek: he had a real niche , specialized game with lot of cool tricks but was lacking in the “ invisible BJJ” type shit . Not everybody is like this of course , but too many dudes need to go back to day one Shit and refine it rather than learn drill berimbolo entries for a million reps .

Youre surprised that a blue belt couldn't escape from a inferior position against a brown belt? If he could take a back then choke you out, then give you dominant position only to escape to berimbolo and choke you out.... He wouldn't be a blue belt....

I’m having a group private with Gordon Ryan in a few weeks along with the other coaches at my gym, and I’m the only one who is asking for front headlock or kimura work or transitioning between the control systems. I’ll still go, but I really feel like I’d get a lot more out of something besides the leg stuff (because I’ve been obsessively studying it for the past couple years anyway).

Do report back please.

Back