holly holm...

She has a boring style, isn't much of a draw, and successfully defended a grand total of 0 times.

"Got caught"? The Tate sub was NOT a fluke TKO or fluke injury TKO or fluke ref brainfart stoppage. The 5th round is still very much part of the fight, so Tate winning in the 5th should not be viewed as a fluke.

Were people demanding an immediate rematch for Chael after Anderson's 5th round triangle?

I would have enjoyed an immediate Tate/Holm rematch though.

Meh, she's a much tougher challenge than Nunes but I don't mind seeing her beat a contender first, experience can only help, she's only had 4 fights in the UFC after all.
Don't underestimate nunes, she's a tough dyke

If Tate were to beat Holly again, the situation would have been worse. Valentina is an interesting fighter. She has really good striking but prefers fighting on the ground in MMA.

Eh - I thought Holly handled Tate pretty seamlessly minus the two takedowns. She clearly established distance and mostly dominance in striking. She stuffed 11 of 13 takedowns. So happened that the two takedowns cost her a 10-8 round and then got her choked out. Tate was throwing some hail mary takedowns in the fifth. She finally caught one and caught Holly's back. That was basically the fight in a nutshell. Tate did what she had to do to win, deserves it and that's that.

That being said...

Who do I think is the better fighter? Holly. Not even really sure it's close. Her physical ceiling is so far past the rest of that division, her hand speed was almost twice that of Tate's, her take down defense is great. Her technique in said takedown defense and other MMA-ish facets isn't great, but that's again where her sheer physicality comes in. She's just stronger, faster, and has a deeper gas tank than those girls do. Better head movement, mixes up her angles, *superior* footwork. All that is there. If she can even develop semi-incompetent ground defense - as in "can you basically defend a choke" - she's probably going to murder this division for a long time to come provided she stays healthy.

What's even scarier is she's a zillion years old and has this kind of a physical leg up on the rest of the division. She's what - six years older than Ronda and that was like watching a high school point guard try to ball with a 6'8 advanced DI power forward in the paint. There was a gap in training, striking, coaching - everything.

She'll be back. Shevchenko is actualy kind of a shitty match up for her because she's one of like two broads in that division who might have a shot to bang with her on their feet; but whatever. She wins that fight she'll get the rematch with Tate if Ronda's still hiding, she'll get the winner of a presumptive Tate-Ronda fight if that's in the works or she'll just decide to scrap that and go fight Cyborg for colossal money. She's got nothing to worry about and the loss probably does her some good. She's got obvious holes in her game she neds to address - but i'd also say that she's far closer to being the dominant force in that division than anyone else. The only thing that could throw things for a loop is if Amanda Nunes beats Tate. I also like Miesha a great deal, but she knows the gap she's gottta cover to catch Holly in the striking end of things and that's just too risky of a fight to take. She'll fight Nunes and probably stall for Ronda. Only reason she fights Holly is if she has to. But that date - I think - is probably coming sooner rather than later.

This thread HAS been made lots before TS
U ain't the first

cus bro how else can they set up a winnable match for ronda?

TS is white belt. Very very white. Not even a little dust or dirt on it.

You're already hesitant and backpedaling. Holly has done less in her "MMA career" precisely because she spent time having an incredible career in another combat sport. See loisestrad's foolish attempt at likening her to James Toney which fell apart instantly...since if James Toney had knocked out Jon Jones in one fight in MMA, saying that was the only thing Toney had done that was impressive in his MMA career as though it was a sign that he wasn't a championship-level fighter would be equally ludicrous.

Also, a 4th place Bronze Medal (they gave out two Bronze's and Ronda actually lost to the other Bronze medalist) is nothing compared to a major professional world championship in a mainstream sport like boxing, and Holly's won double-digit world titles. You know all this is true though. That's why you failed to try to offer any justification and just did some vague handwaving.

Like most "R3" fans who desperately try to make-up arguments to support her, you fall apart at the slightest challenge. It's funny.

Aw, already out of comebacks? One fact found in 10 seconds shattered your whole paper-thin claim about judo being just as big as boxing. It's okay, I knew it would.
Ban this moron

Don't underestimate nunes, she's a tough dyke
Tough and has an excellent skillset but she isn't durable whatsoever, if she had a gas tank I'd pick her to win based on skills but she can't go longer than 2 rounds without breathing out of her ass.

well you didnt wrote most important thing, ufc doesnt like her for killing honda show :)
Crazy I actually thought the opposite I remember pre fight with ronda I was thinking why is she getting so much hype from ufc and fans she doesn't even deserve this title shot ...then afterwards it seemed like everyone ufc and fans were treating her like she was gods gift to mma ...of course maybe was the fans blinding my vision

How many times do you have to get whupped in threads before you give up on trying to white knight Ronda?
I kinda agree with them but I'll say was only impressive thing she did in ufc I didn't watch her Invicta career and I don't watch kickboxing but Im no ronda white knight more a meisha white night ...blue knight actually

"Got caught"? The Tate sub was NOT a fluke TKO or fluke injury TKO or fluke ref brainfart stoppage. The 5th round is still very much part of the fight, so Tate winning in the 5th should not be viewed as a fluke.

Were people demanding an immediate rematch for Chael after Anderson's 5th round triangle?

I would have enjoyed an immediate Tate/Holm rematch though.
Umm... Yeah, people wanted a Sonnen rematch. In fact Chael was going to get the immediate rematch until he failed the drug test.

If Holly had been beating the hell out of Miesha up until the sub, then I could see it.
Even then, no title defenses... Would get negative reactions no matter what. But what doesn't now a days? :rolleyes:

Crazy I actually thought the opposite I remember pre fight with ronda I was thinking why is she getting so much hype from ufc and fans she doesn't even deserve this title shot ...then afterwards it seemed like everyone ufc and fans were treating her like she was gods gift to mma ...of course maybe was the fans blinding my vision
I wish I knew the amont of $$$ that beaing poured in too marketing, so the honda could rise... medias attention aint cheap in us :) especially mainstream ones. No too mention casuals are strange fans :>

Probably has something to do with not waiting for Ronda's rematch. That value decreased slightly when she lost to Tate. It pissed Dana off and it was evident by him calling her manager not the smartest. She is being punished IMO.

They need to get away from the instant rematches so I'm fine with it. It's fucking ridiculous how a challenger has to beat a champion twice for it to count now.

But politics obviously had something to do with it as well. Ronda's best path to the title is through Tate and worst path is through Holly (or Cyborg).

Back