Hmmmm... I don't think Pringles are real potatoe chips...

Saltynuts

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've eaten these for years, mainly because they were the cheapest potatoe chips out there. But I just looked at the can, and it says "potatoe crisps". Wtf is that shit? If they were potatoe chips why call it a "crisp"? What the he'll are these things?

To be "considered a chip" in the food industry, it has to be cut from a potato.
Pringles are potato pieces that are "pressed" together to form the chip shape.

here's what google says

Ingredients. Pringles have about 42% potato content, the remainder being wheat starch and flours (potato, corn, and rice) combined with vegetable oils, an emulsifier, salt, and seasoning.

We call chips crisps over here and we call chips fries.

Pringles are tasty, but terrible.

One of the unhealthiest around:

Pringles Original (third of a tube): 1/10
Cals: 300 Highest calorie content
Fat: 18g
Saturates: 5g
Not only does a third of a pack contain a whopping 300 calories, it also has 18g of fat for only 32 crisps - that's almost a third of the daily recommended fat allowance for women. Most of the flavours have the same amount of calories and fat however, barbecue Pringles have a slightly higher saturated fat content.

pulp-fiction-royale-with-cheese-1.jpg

I've eaten these for years, mainly because they were the cheapest potatoe chips out there. But I just looked at the can, and it says "potatoe crisps". Wtf is that shit? If they were potatoe chips why call it a "crisp"? What the he'll are these things?

3BD105EA00000578-4085260-image-a-1_1483474512165.jpg

Yeah they don't really have the taste or texture of genuine potato chips. More like a potato-based facsimile product.

I assumed someone with a name like Saltynuts would have known Pringles weren't actual chips.

To be "considered a chip" in the food industry, it has to be cut from a potato.
Pringles are potato pieces that are "pressed" together to form the chip shape.

so you're telling me I've been eating "potato particle board" all these years??????

When I first found out that Brits called French Fries "Chips" I was like {<huh} Then what do you call chips and their like "Crisps" and I was like <[analyzed}><mma4>

"Oh shit :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:"

Yeah because people definitely eat potato chips for their nutritional value.

Of course not, but there are equally delicious ones that aren't as bad for you. If I could pick between a soda that has significantly less sugar than another (not talking about saccharn) but tastes as good, surely it's an easy choice to make?

Wow, Britain takes their crisps very seriously!

Thankfully, Europe take food a bit more seriously than America and have banned a lot of foods and processes that your government won't. Brominated vegetable oil, Olestra, food colourings, hormones etc....

Back