[Historians] Battles worth studying?

The fall of Constantinople in 1453. This was what the last battle in Lord of the Rings was based on.

This is probably the most significant battle in Greek history. For the Greeks this is dearer to our heart than anything else. This was the true end of the Roman and Byzantine Empire, the first 'true' time the Queen of All Cities fell (lets pretend the Latins didn't take it in their betrayal for story purposes). The loss of the city signified 400 years of enslavement by the Turks.

Constantinople was the center of the world since Ancient times to the end of the Middle Ages. All other cities, whether they be German, French or English were dwarfed by its beauty. The city still had aqueducts, ancient palaces and a hippodrome (even though it was in poor state). Its greatest buildings however were Hagia Sophia (the center of the Christian world) and its legendary walls, which neither Hun, Arab or Mongol had managed to breach. Most believed they were unbreakable.

The Turks attack with a force that immensely outnumbered the Greeks. Their Sultan had constructed a huge fleet, assembled elite Janissary (Greek boys kidnapped at birth and turned into super Muslim warriors). The most impressive part of his army was the great cannons he forged for the battle, that alone required an army of oxen to bring to the battle. This cannon was so expensive Constantinople could not even manage to build it. It tore apart the walls. It eventually exploded destroying its creator. They also built the worlds largest (and last) siege tower, which also failed to breach the legendary walls.

The defence was led by the legendary last Emperor Constantine XI. A pious man, who died in the same vein as King Leonidas. He died in a heroic last stand, when he tore off his imperial regalia and charged into Turkish Horde with his last body guard. He had lived an unfortunate life, trying his hardest to preserve the Empire but was met with an incredible amount of bad luck. He is remembered with great reverence in Greece and is basically now a Saint.

Other cool facts:

- Brave Geonese from Chios decide to stand with the Emperor. Justiani died fighting on the walls, and in the dying hours of the Empire the Latin Western and Greek East had reforged.

- The Muslim's said a lunar eclipse would occur to signify the fall of the city. This did occur which caused great anxiety to the citizens in the city.

- A strange light was seen at the top of Hagia Sophia by both Greek and Turk. The Greeks saw this as a bad omen, that the Holy Spirit was leaving the city, signifying their impending doom.

- The Greeks maintain Constantine will return, and that he was buried under the Golden Gate by an angel petrified in marble. His return will liberate the city. The Turks were very superstitious of this omen and buried ancient Egyptian mummies in the walls to cancel out the curse. Greeks have said they have heard the whispers of the Emperor near the Golden Gate.

Came here to see if anyone would post this. It's definitely an epic downfall.

I would also add the Battle of Kosovo to this as it's related to Turks. They met the Serbian army in Kosovo, and while they won and wiped out the Serbs, they lost such large numbers that they were not able to push deeper into Europe.

Best part is, one of the Serbian nobles pretended to be a deserter, and when placed in audience with Sultan Murad I, he assassinated him and got executed on the spot. Fool me once...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kosovo

Russo Finnish, and Russo Japanese Wars/conflicts are both pretty interesting to look into

Finland didn't play in WWII

wake island is about as badass as it gets as well
less than 500 marines holding off against a neer Japanese fleet

The battle of the sexes. Everything else is weaksauce in comparison.

Cliche.....but i think the intelligence battle (MI5/6 vs Abwher) before D Day (Op. Overlord) was extremely fascinating. the battle was won before it was fought in many ways.

wake island is about as badass as it gets as well
less than 500 marines holding off against a neer Japanese fleet

Pretty much every major battlefield in the Pacific theater between US Marines and the Japs is amazing to read about. Hell, even the US Navy got some out there.

Wake Island
Guadalcanal
Tarawa
Saipan
Guam
Peleliu
Okinawa
Iwo Jima

The Marines that fought in those hellholes were true warriors. Absolutely brutal weather in brutal terrain. The first time I read about Iwo Jima I couldn't believe it.

Back