[Historians] Battles worth studying?

both world wars. incredible tactics displayed on both sides.

Gettysburg. Especially Day 2, and especially the fighting on and around Little Roundtop. Chamberlain's swinging gate can rightly be thought of as the turning point of the Civil War and the reason the USA still exists as a single country today.

The retreat from the Chosin Resevoir is also well worth studying. Retreats are not particularly glamorous, but that is where an army's organization and discipline is really put to the test. Retreating in good order is extremely hard, let alone breaking out of an encirclement while doing so and inflicting heavy casualties on the opponent.

Marines take credit for the Frozen Chosin.

The Battle of Cannae. Brilliant military maneuver. Hannibal was a genius.

surprised nobody mentioned it, imho P4P #1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alesia

This is why:
alesia.jpg

The Battle of Cannae. Brilliant military maneuver. Hannibal was a genius.

That's the second time someone reccomended the actual example given by TS. Weird.

Another great Civil War battle to study is Chancellorsville. General Lee's finest hour.

Battle of Vercellae, 104 BC. Huge army of Germanic/Celtic peoples vs much smaller but much more disciplined Roman force.

Vets of the Frozen Chosin will tell you they didn't retreat, they simply fought in a different direction.

When the enemy surrounds you, every way is forward I guess. :icon_chee

Battle of Carrhae.

I think it was the first time the post-Marius romans were utterly humilliated on the field of battle.

lol, romanticised greek version for sure.

As opposed to what? Most historians agree that Constantine did likely die in a last stand. Go read Nichol's 'The Immortal Emperor' in English. He is a foremost authority on the subject. Although something tells me your education in late Byzantine history is lacking.

In regards to the eclipse and strange lights on Hagia Sophia, it is usually agreed these phenomena did occur, but was likely a coincidence and St Elmo's Fire.

Other than that I don't see what else is romantic about it. The great thing about the battle is that it was truly as epic as it sounds.

I am on my phone but a quick Google comes up with a lot of comparisons between Constantinople and Minus Tirith. I believe both Tolkien and Jackson relied on Constantinople as a basis for the city and war.

Most Westerners underestimate the size and importance of the city. When London and Paris were shanty towns Constantinople was a bustling metropolis that outdid Rome. It's fall created shock waves throughout Europe. The city was the last bastion that was keeping Europe safe from a full fledged Ottoman invasion.

I Recommend everyone do their own research into the battle. English historians are generally best. Avoid Greek and Turk for bias. (Especially Turk, the shit their "Academics" publish is ludicrous).

When the enemy surrounds you, every way is forward I guess. :icon_chee

OOOHHHRAAAAHHHH!

That's exactly the point! :icon_twist

That was such a crazy war. I've read some books on the frozen Chosin, and the amount of fighting done in that brutal weather and terrain is shocking. That was a brutal campaign. Really made me feel like a pussy after what I saw in Iraq. People complain about PTSD after a deployment to Iraq, imagine going from Inchon into Seol with Chesty.

Battle of Solfireno Hill. I learned about when I was working for the American Red Cross(call center). The aftermath of that battle is what inspired Jean Durant to create the Red Cross.

also, like someone said, the 3rd battle of Kharkov is very underrated. von Manstein's brilliance and the quality of the Leibstandarte, Das Reich and Totenkopf SS panzer divisions reversed a catastrophic situation and put a serious beating on the Red Army. without Mainstein's counter attack, the crumbling of the german forces that happened in 1944 could have happened in 1943. Hitler should have allowed him to continue with the elastic defense and backhand blow strategy, instead of launching Zitadelle.

Anything to do with Heinz Guderian is really interesting. Ge

Otto von Bismark's defeat of Napoleon the 3rd in the Franco-Prussian war is pretty interesting as well.

Back