Hired Gun - great new doc on Netflix about session musicians

G

Guestx

Just finished watching this and it's great. Highly recommended.

This is relevant to my intrast. Toto was a group of sessionists too.

I'll definitely watch that.

I thought these guys mostly work for the solo artists. Most "bands" have band members who play their instruments unless they get sick or something.

I thought these guys mostly work for the solo artists. Most "bands" have band members who play their instruments unless they get sick or something.

Well I think in some cases they get to be a band member for a little while. You'll just have to watch the doc and see what it's all about.

It's really interesting, though.

Great film. Saw this back in the summer when released. Unless your a founding member of a band, there's a good chance you are a hired gun. The pay varies wildly though. I have seen some figures for various hired guns, Eric Singer who has been a in demand drummer for 25 years, and is currently the drummer in KISS. The pay they claimed for him, was a monthly salary of 10k , plus full health benefits, and 25k per concert. Now he's on the higher end of what most players could ever expect to get, but KISS is still a major band, who commands upwards of 1 million dollars per gig. Most get either a weekly salary while on tour or a per show amount, then nothing while not on the road.

Love these musician docs. Muscle SHOALS, Funk Brothers, the one about the la session dudes (and gal) were all great.

Back