Hip pain that won't go away

Anyone have advice or tips for me. My left hip has pain that doesn't go away. I feel it the most when I have to sit in mycar in traffic. Having a manual doesn't help but just sitting there hurts. Also I think it could be from me injuring my knee and the pain is resulting in the hip. Anyways should I get an MRI or just use the roller on it? Damn u open guard!!!!

Going to a doctor is not a bad idea when you feel like you're injured. Nobody here can provide medical advice (including myself), so the safest way is to go to a doctor.

I had a really similar problem for a while. My hip was always "off" and felt pressured like it needed to pop or something. I couldn't stretch it enough or get it to pop no matter what I did. I had my wife go knee to hip on me (think knee to belly) and still couldn't get it fixed. I eventually caved and went to see my chiropractor. He spent a few visits realigning my lower back, knee, etc.. and it eventually loosened up. It's been gone for about 6 months now with an occasional reminder (the other day I thought it was tightening up again, but thankfully didn't

Please go to the doctor homey. I hate seeing folks in misery try to speculate about their injury. The body's too complex. Go to a physician.

I have a similar situation with my hip and maybe it could offer you some idea about what's going on with yours...
Some spastic white belt injured my left hip a few months ago when he swept me and then slammed my leg to get to the side. I haven't gone to the doc yet due to my crappy insurance but have done a lot of internet research. So far, I've narrowed it down to three possibilities from mildest to worst: hip flexor strain, torn hip labrum, or acromium necrosis. I'm leaning towards hip flexor strain because the pain is slowly going away and my ROM is getting better. In this case, I'll just have to take it easy and do some light stretching. If it's a torn labrum, I'll most likely have to go under the knife and have the torn cartilage debrided or tacked back on. I don't think it's a torn labrum though because the pain and ROM is supposed to be a lot worse than it is and I would have a catching sensasion. The worst scenario is that I could have acromium necrosis which is a dying of the bone surface due to damaged blood vessels in the joint. Bo Jackson (remember him?) got this when he got tackled really hard and it ended his football career. It takes a lot of force for this to happen so I doubt it's this.

this is my current injury.

Basically, one hip is higher than the other.

oh shit forgot to update my thread. Yeah so i went to the doctor and lucky for me i had gotten heel hooked and popped ligaments in my ankle a few days prior so i got that xrayed too while i was at it!

So my hip is a funny story, well not funny for me but the doctor said he noticed to small bumps of bone on my hip that was probably causing discomfort when i compress my legs (like when getting your guard stacked). So he said it is a developmental issue that doctors have only been aware about the past 5 years and some suggest arthrscopic hip surgery and some say surgery wont help, yeah im fuckin LMAO at that. Whatever im just gonna train until im in a fuckin wheelchair, i dont give a shit. And yeah he also looked at my knee and said it looks like i have a slight tear on the mcl but said it shouldnt be serious i just have to take it easy. And yeah my ankle popped and is swollen so that was an easy one. I could care less about my ankle, i can still do everything its just sore and tender but getting better everyday.

My hip is whatever, i think the dctor is full of shit because he saw bumps on both hips but i only have pain in the left. Either way ill live with it and i think i just gotta take it easy on my knee even though it still fuckin hurts and i roll light. Sorry but this upsets me :(:(

i hate skipping training i feel like a loser when i do. My life is jiu jitsu and i feel worthless without it :(

i mean i work a job and have income but jiu jitsu provides me happiness that no amount of money could ever give me. now im sitting at work battling with myself to go train "light" (which never happens unless i dont roll at all or strictly with white belts) or just go home and be a bum and continue to wait on my knee. Should i demand an MRI because the doctor who did the xray said xray is better and u dont see as much with an mri, which was hard for me to believe. Am i the victim of fuckin cheap ass kaiser!?

Last edited:
I had a really similar problem for a while. My hip was always "off" and felt pressured like it needed to pop or something. I couldn't stretch it enough or get it to pop no matter what I did. I had my wife go knee to hip on me (think knee to belly) and still couldn't get it fixed. I eventually caved and went to see my chiropractor. He spent a few visits realigning my lower back, knee, etc.. and it eventually loosened up. It's been gone for about 6 months now with an occasional reminder (the other day I thought it was tightening up again, but thankfully didn't

yes i need to see a chiropractor! my back is probably all screwed up out of alignment, i have beat myself up pretty good over the years :(

oh shit forgot to update my thread. Yeah so i went to the doctor and lucky for me i had gotten heel hooked and popped ligaments in my ankle a few days prior so i got that xrayed too while i was at it!

So my hip is a funny story, well not funny for me but the doctor said he noticed to small bumps of bone on my hip that was probably causing discomfort when i compress my legs (like when getting your guard stacked). So he said it is a developmental issue that doctors have only been aware about the past 5 years and some suggest arthrscopic hip surgery and some say surgery wont help, yeah im fuckin LMAO at that. Whatever im just gonna train until im in a fuckin wheelchair, i dont give a shit. And yeah he also looked at my knee and said it looks like i have a slight tear on the mcl but said it shouldnt be serious i just have to take it easy. And yeah my ankle popped and is swollen so that was an easy one. I could care less about my ankle, i can still do everything its just sore and tender but getting better everyday.

My hip is whatever, i think the dctor is full of shit because he saw bumps on both hips but i only have pain in the left. Either way ill live with it and i think i just gotta take it easy on my knee even though it still fuckin hurts and i roll light. Sorry but this upsets me :(:(

i hate skipping training i feel like a loser when i do. My life is jiu jitsu and i feel worthless without it :(

i mean i work a job and have income but jiu jitsu provides me happiness that no amount of money could ever give me. now im sitting at work battling with myself to go train "light" (which never happens unless i dont roll at all or strictly with white belts) or just go home and be a bum and continue to wait on my knee. Should i demand an MRI because the doctor who did the xray said xray is better and u dont see as much with an mri, which was hard for me to believe. Am i the victim of fuckin cheap ass kaiser!?

Not sure about your particular issue, but for the hips in general I suggest rolling out pretty aggressively. Forget the foam roller - take a baseball, lie on top of it and run it across your medial glutes over towards your hip (rotate until you are basically lying on your side on the ball) and then back. Keep the leg on the side on which you are working straight. Then work the ball down and around your glutes. After that, take a piece of PVC pipe and roll out your IT bands. Follow that up by taking a softball (or some similar sized ball) and lying face down on top of it with the ball pressing into your lower abs on one side. Keep the leg on the side on which you are working straight, bend your other knee, and rest your head on your hands which you can cross in front of you (you should basically look like you are taking a nap, just with a softball in your stomach). Take three deep breaths. You should feel pressure in your abs, but you should also feel your illiacus and hip flexors release on the exhale (and your lower back as well). Work up to your upper abs, then switch sides. finish up by hitting the middle lower abs and then middle mid abs (be careful not to hit your solar plexus).

There are also some stretches you should do in conjunction with this, and you should try to take a hot bath or jacuzzi three nights a week.

Do the above consistently for a couple months and see how you feel.

This is a bit ot but when I was in the 2nd grade my hip hurt all the time. I'd complain to my parents and what not and my mom just put it off ass growing pains. She called it that for months. Well I started playing baseball and I could really hit the ball far but probably never made it to 2nd base case I was crazy slow and limped due to the pain. My couch made told my mom she had to take me to the doctor.

Come to find out I had a tumor the size of a limon on my femer. The bone was about the size of a pencil....

Morol to the story? Moms are full of shit and always go to the doctor to get shit checked out.

This is a bit ot but when I was in the 2nd grade my hip hurt all the time. I'd complain to my parents and what not and my mom just put it off ass growing pains. She called it that for months. Well I started playing baseball and I could really hit the ball far but probably never made it to 2nd base case I was crazy slow and limped due to the pain. My couch made told my mom she had to take me to the doctor.

Come to find out I had a tumor the size of a limon on my femer. The bone was about the size of a pencil....

Morol to the story? Moms are full of shit and always go to the doctor to get shit checked out.

awesome post...lol, thanks yeah i had xrays done so they would have seen a tumor, thank god its nothing like that!

@lagrapple

thank you for your post i appreciate all that info and will look to start doing what u said. My hip doesnt really bother me, i can still do everything i need to but just knowing something is wrong is bad on my mind even though it limits me in no way. My knee does limit me but i just gotta take it easy.

It really sucks trying to roll because im not putting everything i got into it and now people are schoolin me while rolling because im tryin to play this relaxed slow game but some aggressive people i just cant handle playing like that...i cant wait to feel better, and start dishin out asskickins again because it is so frustrating to always be thinking of my knee when i should be nmore worried about getting choked.

Thank u all!

awesome post...lol, thanks yeah i had xrays done so they would have seen a tumor, thank god its nothing like that!

@lagrapple

thank you for your post i appreciate all that info and will look to start doing what u said. My hip doesnt really bother me, i can still do everything i need to but just knowing something is wrong is bad on my mind even though it limits me in no way. My knee does limit me but i just gotta take it easy.

It really sucks trying to roll because im not putting everything i got into it and now people are schoolin me while rolling because im tryin to play this relaxed slow game but some aggressive people i just cant handle playing like that...i cant wait to feel better, and start dishin out asskickins again because it is so frustrating to always be thinking of my knee when i should be nmore worried about getting choked.

Thank u all!

Hate to nitpick but an x ray might not pick up a tumor. Maybe it would, but I think the point is that an MRI is going to be more informative for you. Do it bro. Pick up that phone. Make that appointment.

thank u tk99, i think i will make another appointment, i knew that doctor was just trying to get rid of me, like now i honestly want to go to kaiser and beat the fuck outta him. Like jesus christ i have a legitamte problem and he spoon feeds me bullshit

Those are fighting word in my book, god damn kaiser!!

Back