Hip pain that won't go away

5050buttflopper**

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have advice or tips for me. My left hip has pain that doesn't go away. I feel it the most when I have to sit in mycar in traffic. Having a manual doesn't help but just sitting there hurts. Also I think it could be from me injuring my knee and the pain is resulting in the hip. Anyways should I get an MRI or just use the roller on it? Damn u open guard!!!!

Also, it's not pain that hampers mobility while training, it's a pain that is just letting me know something is wrong.

Do you carry a wallet in your back pocket? It could be a sciatic Nerve thing. I have been having a pain that shoots from what feels like where my femur and hip connect. Its a sharp stabbing pain that shoots down to the outside of my knee. Its been going on for about a year and its off and on usually but has been bothering me a lot lately because I have been stretching a lot more to get my hips more flexible. I went to the doctor and he told me it could be arthritis but I think I am going to get acupuncture or talk to a chiropractor before I believe that.

<------- no more dubbs!!!! Winner!!!!

Get a MRI or get an ESI, or maybe at least an xray. Main thing is, go ask a doctor.

Or take it easy on the "buttflopping"

Haha thanks guys. @bigstaff I threw my wallet to the ground and it will never touch my ass again, thanks.

You mentioned injuring your knee. I got pain in my hips until I learned to walk correctly again after breaking my ankle. One of the joys of leg injuries is that they can throw your posture off and start causing pain in other areas.

Haha thanks guys. @bigstaff I threw my wallet to the ground and it will never touch my ass again, thanks.

If the pain is on the same side that you carry your wallet then that will definitely be part of the problem... My wallet wasn't Epic like George Costanza's but when I quit carrying it in my back pocket the pain went away for a until I stated BJJ.

I have a very similar issue, although it isn't too bad anymore due to a few things that I have done. It's like a pinching pain in my right hip and it is usually aggravated by periods of sitting. Walking or excercise actually help, but if overdo it, then I will feel it worse once my body cools down. There is always the possibility that it can come back but it is really not too much of an issue anymore.

There are the things that I have done:

1) Improved posture (especially when sitting): This was by far the most important change I made and I felt an almost immediate benefit. I have a desk job so poor sitting posture has been an issue. At my desk I can move around and stretch when I need to, but in a car you are kind of locking into that position. For driving the best thing I did was buy a lumbar support pillow. Ideally your back should have a good inward curvature (towards belly button) while you are sitting, but most of us are lazy and let it curve outwards (slouching). The support pillow will help to acheive the proper form and also just remind you to keep good posture. You don't need an extreme curve, just a nice healthy one. I could instantly feel how far better supported my lower back was. You can even just roll up a small jacket or towel if you don't want to buy the pillow. Ideally you can just practise better posture with your back muscles, but sometimes you will get lazy and slouch. The pillow is a very good reminder.

2) See a good sports physiotherapist:You can see a doctor but I find they often don't provide a ton that is useful. If you can get the MRI then that would be good. However, the physio will advise you on better posture (standing and sitting) as well as give you some good excercises and stretches for working the right muscles. If your problem is different from mine, they should be able to figure out the specific issue. This is how I became aware of my posture issue. Just make sure you do your research find someone good.

3) Proper excercise:If you are doing any kind of heavy lifting, or even just bodyweigth squats, push ups or whatever, you have to really focus on posture (can't be meantioned enough). Maybe this isn't an issue for you, but if you excercise and your posture isn't perfect, then it will make the problem much worse.

4) General care:I bought the roller that I use sometimes (not everyday), and I go to more massages (deep tissue), and try and stretch more. None of these things necessarily have had a substantial effect on their own, but I know they all helped. If you sit throughout the day, then try a do a few stretches every 30 minutes or hour and even go on a few short walks throughout the day to loosen up. At massage, I had them work on my psoas muscle a few times, and I think that might have helped.

All of those things and just general sense is what worked for me. At one point it was pretty bad (thats why I went to the physio) and now it is not much more than a slight annoyance from time to time. Usually that can be attributed to be being lazy with my posture.

I hope that helps out. I tryed to make as comprehensive a post possible because I know how annoying (and sometimes painful) that can be, especially if you are trying to be athletic.

Its most likely something to do with your knee. Like the guy mentioned above, everything is connected and when you injure one thing it usually throws off something else.

I have never been the same since i broke my foot. I was on crutches for 6 months so my foot/leg was a shriveled turd by the time I got the cast off. Felt like if i put weight on it it would shatter. Anyway, the atrophy caused my foot to kind of pidgeon out slightly and it has cause me a lot of hip/knee pain. Still not positive whats wrong...did mri's, therapy, etc. but it doesnt help. The only thing that helps is working out a lot...doing a shit load of cardio and some moderate lifting with it. If I go too heavy then the pain gets worse. GL

I use to get a lot of pain, dull aching pain in my right hip and top my my right butt cheek. One of my training partners is a physio and he thought my pelvis and sacrum???was out of alignment. He had me lay pronated and yanked on my right leg as I breathed out and it fixed pretty much straight away.

I get the same thing sometimes. Usually from aggressive guard passes. Could have something to do with your groin, too. If the pain persists for more than 2 weeks, seek help.

Great thread. I have the same pain in my left hip. It usually starts after jogging for the first time after a break from it. Sometimes it starts up after driving a long distance as well.
Typically it goes away after two weeks or so.

Did you consider yourself the winner this morning when you woke up and your front door was wide open?

Bitch you don't live in Crossroads you live in OakPoint. Get it right fatty!!!

Sounds like you may need hip replacement surgery.

I am suffering more of less the same thing with TS

hip muscle(sometime all the way to the lower back) sore/pain
it kinda hurts when i sit for hours then stand up

i wonder is it really because of the wallet on rear pocket thing? (could be injured from BJJ as well)
and what kind of stretches can relieve the stiffness/tension on the hip muscle?

Back