Highlander is the best damn show of all time

I have to admit I do quite enjoy the second film just as a bit of camp 80's fun with Connery and Ironside camping it up, the third feels like a low rent rerun of the original.

I would actually recommend reading the original WIden Showclan script(must be around on the net somewhere, I remember reading it a decade or more ago), differs quite significantly from the final film.

Free men of the planet Zeisht....

I do actually think the "geekification" of it that happened in turning it into a franchise does the original film a disservice reducing it just to the idea behind the mythology.

To me that film is a strangely effective melting pot, you have a lot 80's action references to it but also hints at 80's apocalypicism(Blade Runner, Escape from Newyork, Terminator), surprisingly deep dramatic fantasy with some very nice visual touches.

monlisa2.png

Afterwards the franchise tended to shift towards more wish fulfilment with its central concept but the original did actually have more depth to it.

I thought all of the sequels were terrible movies. They were major let downs.

You should go back and rewatch it. The peak of the series was after that. But yeah that was a pretty cool moment. And Tessa died at the same time. Completely changed the show.
Loved 99% of it, but for my money highlander raven was the TV show's version of Highlander 2....

This thread feels very familiar

Haven't you made this exact thread before?

If so I approve

I have to admit I do quite enjoy the second film just as a bit of camp 80's fun with Connery and Ironside camping it up, the third feels like a low rent rerun of the original.

I would actually recommend reading the original WIden Showclan script(must be around on the net somewhere, I remember reading it a decade or more ago), differs quite significantly from the final film.
I didn't dislike the second movie, i just found it a bit puzzling. Like the plot hole that allowed sequels.

Ironside was certainly a plus, in all his testicle crushing glory.

I didn't dislike the second movie, i just found it a bit puzzling. Like the plot hole that allowed sequels.

Ironside was certainly a plus, in all his testicle crushing glory.

If you don't really take it seriously as a sequel and just as a camp bit of 80's(well early 90's) style sci fi action I think its reasonably fun with Connery and Ironside in good form, not anywhere near as good as the original of course.

I thought all of the sequels were terrible movies. They were major let downs.

The only one I thought had its moments was Endgame, and they were fairly few and far between. Decent acting and good editing made up, at times, for the shoestring budget and effects.

Compared to Dr. Quinn medicine woman, yeah, top flight stuff.

If you don't really take it seriously as a sequel and just as a camp bit of 80's(well early 90's) style sci fi action I think its reasonably fun with Connery and Ironman in good form, not anywhere near as good as the original of course.

It would have been decent if it had been its own thing like Dark City or Equilibrium or something like that. But it made a complete mockery of the first film. It's greatest virtue is that it's so ridiculous and outlandish that it's somewhat easy to ignore and dismiss.

It would have been decent if it had been its own thing like Dark City or Equilibrium or something like that. But it made a complete mockery of the first film. It's greatest virtue is that it's so ridiculous and outlandish that it's somewhat easy to ignore and dismiss.

I was massively disappointed in it at the time although in retrospect poor sequels don't spoil my enjoyment of originals. The story does kind of make you think Wilden or someone else was writing a sci fi film with the shield stuff and just grafted it ontop a Highlander sequel.

I tend to think what damaged the rep of the original more was franchise carrying on for so long and becoming more geeky, its one of those films that never seems to get its due from serious commentators who will give someone like John Carpenter his rightful due. I mean its not the most polished film ever made but somehow it works.

I was massively disappointed in it at the time although in retrospect poor sequels don't spoil my enjoyment of originals. The story does kind of make you think Wilden or someone else was writing a sci fi film with the shield stuff and just grafted it ontop a Highlander sequel.

I tend to think what damaged the rep of the original more was franchise carrying on for so long and becoming more geeky, its one of those films that never seems to get its due from serious commentators who will give someone like John Carpenter his rightful due. I mean its not the most polished film ever made but somehow it works.

To me, it's still weird that Mulcahy actually directed the second Highlander film. Like he was terrified of having the film be called a typical re-hash of the original, or was using this high profile sequel as a demo reel to show how versatile he was. The first one had so much passion behind the camera, that it's hard to imagine the same man undertaking this strange desecration in the next film.

Not at all. I don't even consider the films to be much more than a clumbsy, inconsistent series of forgettable action/fantasy yarns with a lead actor who is basically on the level of Cage, Travolta and the rest of those I watch for laughs, not out of respect.

Even merely isolating the first film for perspective, it was a hokey and original cult classic at best.

As for the show... It was Joss Whedon-esque in its campy repulsion. Awful soundtrack. Very mediocre cinematography, typical of many 90s television series.

You didnt watch it, i can almost guarantee it. The fight scenes were amazing

Now that you say that, it may well be the best show on tv. It had great cinematography, great characters and way better than the movie.

is there a tv show better than its movie counter part?

MASH perhaps.

Yep one of my favorite series.

As i have said before it really dealt with immortality in a realistic fashion that wasn't seen before and showed how damn depressing it would be. I remember i didnt catch that at first then after a while i was like holy shit this guys life is miserable lol.

Minus all the chicks you could bang and not get STDS or get them knocked up because <20> sterility and healing powers!

USA had some damn depressing good tv

I'd say it's an incredibly underrated show, but it seems more like an incredibly forgotten show. I actually got the Highlander catalogues when I was in high school, could never afford buying one of those big ass sword replicas though.

I would have been drowning in ladies if I had ever gotten:
a45-uc2592.jpg

It doesn't help the TV show that the Endgame movie and spin-off, Raven, were crap.

Back