High School and College is useless

Nothing indicates that we're on the brink of having automation everywhere that doesn't require a lot of staff. That's not even the case in industry, where it's been around for the longest time. We will of course get more and more of it, but that doesn't lend itself to the kind of statements made in the OP whatsoever.

High school and college won't be useless but as preparation for the job market, only the brightest of the bright will get enough out of it to take their skills to the job market. People will still be needed to program the high end robots.

I just a read about AI. A guy at Microsoft said that hiring top AI talent is like paying for an elite NFL quarterback. They're going to get a ton of money because there just aren't that many people capable of performing at a high level. But everyone else is going to paid peanuts in comparison. And even if you spend your high school and college career preparing to be an NFL quarterback, you're still going to be screwed if you're not one of 10 best entering the job market in your year.

When people say we'll still need humans, they're only half right. We'll still need the absolute pinnacle of humans. Everyone below the 99.95% is going to be superfluous and they will be paid accordingly.

What a grand disaster it will be if other people actually believe this. How are we
magically going to have robots runeverything in 30 years? Where are they now? Have you ever had a job? Have you ever programmed or have any idea how shitty A.I is? I cant think of a job I've held that could be done by a robot in 30 years.

Unless there is a breakthrough so incredible it changes human history forever. At that point we dont new to worry to much about school. Like a.I. being program Bette a.I. at an exponential rate. But unless that happens programmers will contribute the world like engineers would. We will build logical solutions to various problems. Nothing magical or crazy enough to end the need for people in 30 years. Even 300. Hell I hope in 30 years I can have a realistic sex robot. That's pretty optimistic though.

Some economists predict that by 2050 an additional 2 billion jobs will be automated. Half of current jobs are vulnerable to automation within the next 30 years according to Oxford and MIT. Out of the remaining jobs, half will be in the "service sector" (i.e. Minimum wage-ish). All wages will continue to fall in a market system as human labor becomes less valuable in both a relative and absolute sense, and supply wildly outweighs demand.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...of-us-jobs-are-vulnerable-to-computerization/

https://arstechnica.com/business/20...aten-up-to-47-percent-of-jobs-in-two-decades/

I'm not making this shit up... educate yourself. (Then again, you voted for Trump, right? So not much chance of that.)

Last edited:
High school is the most useless. if I had to do things over I would have dropped out in the ninth grade.

Some economists predict that by 2050 an additional 2 billion jobs will be automated. Half of current jobs are vulnerable to automation within the next 30 years according to Oxford and MIT. Out of the remaining jobs, half will be in the "service sector" (i.e. Minimum wage-ish). All wages will continue to fall in a market system as human labor becomes less valuable in both a relative and absolute sense, and supply wildly outweighs demand.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...of-us-jobs-are-vulnerable-to-computerization/

https://arstechnica.com/business/20...aten-up-to-47-percent-of-jobs-in-two-decades/

I'm not making this shit up... educate yourself. (Then again, you voted for Trump, right? So not much chance of that.)

What's crazy is the Steve Mnuchin, Trump's Treasury Secretary, said it might be 100 years before AI starts taking human jobs.

Yet:

A widely cited Ball State study found that trade was responsible for 13% of U.S. manufacturing job losses between 2000 and 2010.

Read: Mnuchin — after admitting he wasn’t allowed to do so — plugs ‘Lego Batman’

Automation and information technology advances were chiefly responsible for the remaining 87% of job losses during that time period, the study found. There were 5.6 million manufacturing jobs lost in the first decade of this century.

Maybe in the highly limited world of billionaire hedge fund managers, they're more insulated from the reality that is affecting everyone else. :)

People who think education is useless were probably shitty students.

You are so smart, use some stupid example like food production and compare it to robotic job overload. If only 1930s america had robots which could weld, drive, twiddle and sew. You would be so right, so you are fantastic and smart. Your future wives are so lucky.

You're so cool. I wish I could be as smart and wealthy as you are.

Robots can barely walk. AI can only deal with a limited amount of variables. Trying to program hardly anything is a complete nightmare taking hundreds of educated people to do it. You're saying we are going to go from the stone age of programming to some world where AI and robots run everything in 30 years. I don't see it. A lot of jobs incrementally being lost or shifted around sure. Truck driving makes sense as it's really not that hard. Having a robot that can do more than a specific task on the fly, that's going to take a long ass time.

Economists know jack shit. The golden boy Paul Krugman thought the internet wouldn't have an effect an the economy at all, or no more than the fax machine. Now they are saying AI are literally on the verge of taking over despite AI being garbage. Yea once again I think they are missing the mark and proving their field to be the equivalent of looking at animal bones to predict the future.

The cost, time to implement, design, the advances needed, the money, the companies needed to do the specific R and D for actual products. It all takes time. And the tech doesn't even exist yet. So it can't even start happening except for limited things. Things we know all the variables for and can make it compute. Such as when the tank drops to 7% fill it back up. Yea a computer can do that. So the guy sitting and watching levels all day might be out the job. But the person pushing a broom is probably safe for the next 30 years at least. Even a chef, good luck replicating that anytime soon. Even with a known recipe. The amount of money it would take to have a robot that could cook a menu full of items. Im guessing many millions of dollars and super educated people would be needed and many years. And for the next project they'd toss most the code and start over.

I like how you say educate yourself while you just post other peoples opinions. You realize you aren't educated because you repeat what another person says right? That all you're showing me is that you yourself don't know what you're talking about if all you do is appeal to authority.

Last edited:
The only 4 year degree which will be competitive 5-10 years down the line is electrical engineering. All other STEM fields will majorly require at least a master's to find an entry level job.
Lol. We still need fruit pickers and street sweepers but supposedly in 5 years we won't need entry level civil engineers, chemical engineers and physicists. Right.

Don't waste your time in the humanities, they said
History degrees are useless, they said
Get wrekt you robot fodder

Well, I'm just hard. Period. Also, don't care, I qualified the statement in the parenthetical. You're an idiot /cliche ending phrase.

I'm always confused by these people... such a small, tiny post to call me out in a passive way. Why is this hard to believe? Because the same is not true for you? Seriously, this is interesting.

Perhaps you might be jealous and/or insecure. Otherwise why voice such a petty concern? If you think I'm bullshit post it in a strong way, not with this unsupported and boring statement. I want some entertainment.
Sean Spicer? Is that you?

There are a ton of screwballs in college though. Look at all the weirdo, loony tunes protestors on college campus today. When I see all that the first thing you say to yourself is "God help us and our future." Cause those kids are really gonna struggle at life.

you dont see the vast majority of students who ARENT doing that shit, though. they dont make the news. and universities have always been hotbeds of idealism where some people take it to an idiotic extreme....thats nothing new.

iu

More like 'blames the patriarchy when she can't get a job'.

Robots can barely walk.

They most definitely can "walk", although it looks like wheels on legs might be the way to go. Point is, we are making HUGE steps in robotics, all the time. They're getting exponentially better and better.

AI can only deal with a limited amount of variables. Trying to program hardly anything is a complete nightmare taking hundreds of educated people to do it. You're saying we are going to go from the stone age of programming to some world where AI and robots run everything in 30 years. I don't see it. A lot of jobs incrementally being lost or shifted around sure. Truck driving makes sense as it's really not that hard. Having a robot that can do more than a specific task on the fly, that's going to take a long ass time.

Economists know jack shit. The golden boy Paul Krugman thought the internet wouldn't have an effect an the economy at all, or no more than the fax machine. Now they are saying AI are literally on the verge of taking over despite AI being garbage. Yea once again I think they are missing the mark and proving their field to be the equivalent of looking at animal bones to predict the future.

The cost, time to implement, design, the advances needed, the money, the companies needed to do the specific R and D for actual products. It all takes time. And the tech doesn't even exist yet. So it can't even start happening except for limited things. Things we know all the variables for and can make it compute. Such as when the tank drops to 7% fill it back up. Yea a computer can do that. So the guy sitting and watching levels all day might be out the job. But the person pushing a broom is probably safe for the next 30 years at least. Even a chef, good luck replicating that anytime soon. Even with a known recipe. The amount of money it would take to have a robot that could cook a menu full of items. Im guessing many millions of dollars and super educated people would be needed and many years. And for the next project they'd toss most the code and start over.

I like how you say educate yourself while you just post other peoples opinions. You realize you aren't educated because you repeat what another person says right? That all you're showing me is that you yourself don't know what you're talking about if all you do is appeal to authority.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...ntelligent-lawyer-gets-hired-2016-5?r=US&IR=T

We already have AI that can do the job of a junior lawyer better than humans can do it. Robots/computers/AI are already replacing a lot of service industry jobs (self serve check outs at supermarkets/fast food places, for example), self driving vehicles are already being tested and used, robotics is already taking over manufacturing (Tesla cars are mostly assembled by robots), and there are prototype robots that can cook and make coffees.

There will be very, very few industries that aren't profoundly affected by the coming Robot/AI Revolution. Of course, there will still be many jobs that require humans, and the robot/AI sectors will create jobs, but there is going to be a loss of jobs at an unprecedented level and we will need to adjust the way to live to accommodate it.

They most definitely can "walk", although it looks like wheels on legs might be the way to go. Point is, we are making HUGE steps in robotics, all the time. They're getting exponentially better and better.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...ntelligent-lawyer-gets-hired-2016-5?r=US&IR=T

We already have AI that can do the job of a junior lawyer better than humans can do it. Robots/computers/AI are already replacing a lot of service industry jobs (self serve check outs at supermarkets/fast food places, for example), self driving vehicles are already being tested and used, robotics is already taking over manufacturing (Tesla cars are mostly assembled by robots), and there are prototype robots that can cook and make coffees.

There will be very, very few industries that aren't profoundly affected by the coming Robot/AI Revolution. Of course, there will still be many jobs that require humans, and the robot/AI sectors will create jobs, but there is going to be a loss of jobs at an unprecedented level and we will need to adjust the way to live to accommodate it.

I really think people don't realize just how far the field has advanced. I think they see what's in the marketplace and don't think about just how much is in development at tech companies and universities already.

I was on the phone with a guy the other day who builds drones capable of delivering small packages (I hooked him up with a logistics company)...and he's doing this on the side. The real development is light years ahead of that and that's not even in the market yet. We've only seen the tip of iceberg.

I really think people don't realize just how far the field has advanced. I think they see what's in the marketplace and don't think about just how much is in development at tech companies and universities already.

I was on the phone with a guy the other day who builds drones capable of delivering small packages (I hooked him up with a logistics company)...and he's doing this on the side. The real development is light years ahead of that and that's not even in the market yet. We've only seen the tip of iceberg.

Exactly.

When guys like Elon Musk and Bill Gates say that robotics and AI are some of the biggest issues facing humanity today, I tend to listen.

It was only a few years ago that Boston Dynamics and Darpa where still trying to get robots to move around on their own, unsupported and unassisted. Now they're not only moving on their own, but they're doing it at surprising speeds, over uneven surfaces, able to carry large amounts of weight, and they can handle being hit, recovering their equilibrium and balance.

Plus there's things like Google's AI defeating a human Go champion, something that many experts thought was still a long way off (https://www.wired.com/2016/01/in-a-...gles-ai-beats-a-top-player-at-the-game-of-go/).

Humanity has always had to deal with industries becoming obsolete as new technology is developed, but we've never had to deal with change as quick and widespread as the incoming Robot/AI Revolution. The next few decades could potentially result in more change to our economies/societies than we can comprehend right now. After all, our society's progress has been basically exponential. We were hunter gatherer's for millennia, then the Agricultural Revolution happened. A few thousand years later, the Industrial Revolution happened. Then a few hundred years later, the Information Age arrived. Then a few decades later, the Robot/AI Revolution is on our doorstep.

It's a fucking fascinating (and slightly terrifying) time to be alive.

Back