"High" Protein diet and stool

hathats

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So... everytime I go say over 120g of protein I notice my stool becomes small and really dark??

Should I eat more fiber? I think I read in the zero-carb thread about how fiber wouldn't matter?? Drink more, but I'm not more thirsty than normal???

Thanks in advance. Searched around for a while without anything conclusive.

Drink 1 000 000 gallons of water

Anytime you change your eating habits, your body will have to adjust. I remember back in January when I started my new diet, there was a noticeable change. It was a good 6 weeks into it where I started blowin up the toilet again. The only time I would recommend eating more fiber is if you needed a stool softener. Other than that, you should be fine.

Are you having the protein shakes? Those can cause rapid poo poo.

eat more veggies or at the very least use some psyllium husk. what exactly are you eating in your diet?

yea, same thing happened to me. first two weeks or so into me getting back on track nutritional wise I had not shit once.... went back to normal after that

Are you getting enough fat?

This ^

Anytime I cut my fat intake too low whether i"m consuming adequate fiber or not I get constipated. I find I don't need much fiber if I'm consuming enough fat. Drink plenty of water too, maybe not quite a million gallons as was said earlier, but drink a lot. Fat and water work better for me anyway than fiber alone.

drink a bunch of Whole Milk and add EVOO to everything, i get about 300g+ of protein a day and that is how i solved the same problem.

Same thing happens to me .First don't trust your thirst response drink more water and eat fiber Fiber FIBER!!!! Lots of Fiber some people don't do well on LOw carb diets for the reasons you are describing they get contipated they lose energy and gain weight(not usually what they wanted).Water is very important if you stay the high protein route as it takes more water to metabolise proteins especially animal proteins.

I throw in fiber with my high protein diet. Fruits, veggies, fiber bars, etc. Also, i eat fatty cuts of meat, usually pot roast or skirt steak.

Every morning I have metamucil + wheat grass. Keeps the pipes open.

try adding yogurt and some sort of "Green Drink" to your daily intake and see how that works...I personally love Yogurt, it reduces bad breath, and helps your digestive system a lot...

try adding yogurt and some sort of "Green Drink" to your daily intake and see how that works...I personally love Yogurt, it reduces bad breath, and helps your digestive system a lot...

Oh yeah, yogurt is something I need to add to my meal plan. What is a good kind to get?

Oh yeah, yogurt is something I need to add to my meal plan. What is a good kind to get?

This totally depends on what type of yogurt taste you like. I personally like the greek and swedish yogurts, for their thicker, more sour texture and taste. My Faves are any kind of Greek, but my top yogurt is a type of yogurt called "Skyr". Google "Siggis Iceleandic Skyr" and youll find a bunch of articles and reviews on it, and they hopefully carry it at one of your local "Whole Foods" type stores. The thing about Skyr is it's way lower in carbs and fat, and WAY higher in protein than normal yogurts, because of the extra straining process it goes through, producing 3x or more milk protein content than normal yogurts. Greek is second in Protein levels, and then your American yogurts like dannon and shit are the lowest. If you like sour, go with my recommendations, otherwise add some agave, fruit spread, or protein powder to it, and you'll be golden.

This totally depends on what type of yogurt taste you like. I personally like the greek and swedish yogurts, for their thicker, more sour texture and taste. My Faves are any kind of Greek, but my top yogurt is a type of yogurt called "Skyr". Google "Siggis Iceleandic Skyr" and youll find a bunch of articles and reviews on it, and they hopefully carry it at one of your local "Whole Foods" type stores. The thing about Skyr is it's way lower in carbs and fat, and WAY higher in protein than normal yogurts, because of the extra straining process it goes through, producing 3x or more milk protein content than normal yogurts. Greek is second in Protein levels, and then your American yogurts like dannon and shit are the lowest. If you like sour, go with my recommendations, otherwise add some agave, fruit spread, or protein powder to it, and you'll be golden.

on an episode of Bizarre Foods that dude ate some skyr. it looked really tasty.

Will see about going to my whole foods one of these days, it is kind of out of the way. By the time I go to work and get done with training its like 10pm. Skyr sounds like a beast.

i would go with greek yogurt. higher in protein and very tasty. i like chobani or ***e (brands)

Stopped by the grocery store on my lunch break and I did scoop up some Chobani. It is tasty and doesn't seem horribly unhealthy.

Will see about going to my whole foods one of these days, it is kind of out of the way. By the time I go to work and get done with training its like 10pm. Skyr sounds like a beast.

Stopped by the grocery store on my lunch break and I did scoop up some Chobani. It is tasty and doesn't seem horribly unhealthy.

Yeah Chobani is a good Greek one, no complaints about that. And yes, Skyr is a BEAST, lol...its super thick, so you feel much more full...nohomo.

Thanks guys.

I found this though:

Water, and its Effect on Protein Digestion:

Pepsin, the most important enzyme in protein breakdown, is produced in the stomach and works only in Ph levels of 2.5 or less. These conditions are met in the acidic environment of your stomach, and it is there where you break down many peptide bonds, and effectively begin the process of protein digestion. When water is ingested in large amounts in combination with protein, the Ph levels in your stomach go up, and your acidity decreases, making pepsin entirely ineffective, and making protein digestion exponentially less efficient. Even after the protein passes to your small intestine and the enzymes, trypsin and cytotrypsin begin to break down protein bonds, many peptide bonds that are targeted by pepsin remain intact, and the protein chains are too large to be absorbed, and consequently pass through your system and are wasted.

A good amount of time to allow to pass before you eat protein after drinking a substantial amount of water is 30 minutes. This allows the water to be absorbed and the Ph level to be restored. After ingesting your protein rich meals it is good to wait 30 minutes to 1 hour in order to allow the pepsin and acids to breakdown the proteins you have just ingested. Please take notice that this is an approximate number but really should be treated as a minimum!

Remember there are many acidic water substitutes that contain water and will help keep your Ph in balance. Even soda has a Ph higher than 2.5... usually around 3. So if you like to drink with your meals try adding a substantial amount of lemon juice, or even better, lime juice to your water. This will help keep the Ph levels of your stomach in the essential range for Pepsin to stay efficient.

Water: Beyond Hydration - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Is it something worth worrying about?

Back