Herniated Disk -- Do they ever Heal?

tjitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently found out that I have a "moderate to severe" herniated disk between c6 and c7 causing tinging and muscle loss of my right arm. Anyway, I've been training on it for a while, but I finally decided to get it checked out ( I'm in dental school and I should be able to feel my hand when working on a patient). While I haven't seen my nuerologist yet, I'm curious to what I'm in for. Can I ever train/compete jiu jitsu again? Can they heal themselves? If I get surgery (fused or artificial disk) can I train again AND practice dentistry? This is ridiculouos, I'm only 23. Thanks guys

Hey guys, I recently found out that I have a "moderate to severe" herniated disk between c6 and c7 causing tinging and muscle loss of my right arm. Anyway, I've been training on it for a while, but I finally decided to get it checked out ( I'm in dental school and I should be able to feel my hand when working on a patient). While I haven't seen my nuerologist yet, I'm curious to what I'm in for. Can I ever train/compete jiu jitsu again? Can they heal themselves? If I get surgery (fused or artificial disk) can I train again AND practice dentistry? his is ridiculouos, I'm only 23. Thanks guys
I had the exact same thing two years ago. I started to have my right tricep shrink. I finally had c5 c6 disk removed a bone chip from my sternum inserted and a plate screwed over the top. I returned to bjj in 8 weeks and have had no problems. I got the bulge from dumbell clean and presses. A guy in the gym had the same thing but no surgery. It took about two years for the pain and tingling to stop. It might have left permenate damage

I work at a disability office and those kind of problems are usually degenerative, meaning it can only get worse over time. Talk to you PCP about options and like the above person mentioned surgery may have to be an option which sucks. Don't plan on being comfortable by the time your like 60 though.

I had the the same problem. No it never goes away, but it can get better.

I had a c7 disc kill my arm three years ago. The nerve took 2.5 years to regenerate. I have stay up with going to the Chiro or I will have pain in my hand and arm. I still train all the time and have learned how to protect my injury over time.

Good luck!

My neck is totally jacked up I have a C5/C6 disc herniation with bulging at C6/C7. I had muscle spasms in my tricep area and numbness to my thumb and index finger. I have had this injury since august of 2006 and it has cost me about 5 months total of bjj class. I have had flareups usually like 3 months out of the year but other than that it has been ok.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I don't believe in disc surgery. Read a book by John Sarno on mind body disorders. He has 3 books on the subject read all 3 and let me know how you feel afterwards. It worked well for me.

:icon_surp
My neck is totally jacked up I have a C5/C6 disc herniation with bulging at C6/C7. I had muscle spasms in my tricep area and numbness to my thumb and index finger. I have had this injury since august of 2006 and it has cost me about 5 months total of bjj class. I have had flareups usually like 3 months out of the year but other than that it has been ok.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I don't believe in disc surgery. Read a book by John Sarno on mind body disorders. He has 3 books on the subject read all 3 and let me know how you feel afterwards. It worked well for me.

I am living proof neck surgery can be very successful. With all you problems that keep coming up what is your solution? I would think you would want this pain and problems over

Edit: I just googled john sarano and it is interesting

I would say motrin and positive thinking. My grips in my hand are very strong. If someone starts losing strength than I would say its serious and than you could consider a few different methods. But in the medical field you have 4 options for your disc problems.

1. Anitinflammatory pills. Also a doc proscribed me anti seizure medicine before to calm the nerve down and this also worked well.

2. Physical therapy

3. Epidural injection.

4. Surgery.

I took the 1st 2 options and not the 3rd and 4th. The problem with surgery is that many people still have pain and they dont get better.

:icon_surp

I am living proof neck surgery can be very successful. With all you problems that keep coming up what is your solution? I would think you would want this pain and problems over

Edit: I just googled john sarano and it is interesting

As far as my problems go my pain is manageable when it flares up usually. I don't think I would ever have surgery. Most Docs especially neurologists and Orthopedics surgeons like to operate right away. this is how they get paid. When I went to a pain clinic the guy wanted to give me an epidural injection because I had pain for 2 weeks. I refused. Another doc wanted to do a cervical fusion I refused and I felt like I made the right choice.

Neck workouts, Positive thinking, Reading John sarno books, advil.

I would also like to add anyone who has disc problems stay away from 200 plus pound whitebelt newbs ( Especially former wrestlers) or cardio machines. I am a bluebelt now and I tend to shy away rolling with aggressive whitebelts with something to prove because of my neck . In our fundamental classes the teacher will line up all the bluebelts and we will do positional sparring with whitebelts. This is when it is dangerous for someone with disc problems to get hurt.

I remember once we were doing positional sparring were I am on the bottom and I have to retain guard. My opponent was a 6"5 240 pound whitebelt newb. This guy went at me like it was a street fight smashing my face to the ground. I was able to get him in half guard and finally swept him from there but the reward is not worth the risk.

NOTE IF YOU HAVE DISC PROBLEMS STAY AWAY FROM 200 POUND PLUS WHITEBELT NEWBS.

It's pretty cut and dried these days for treatment. No nerve involement = rest, advil/muscle relaxants/ PT. Numbness/tingling/muscle loss = CT/mri/nerve conduction then most likely surgery. Herniated disk only = quick surg quick relief/no loss of range of motion. If disks are degenirating= fusion loss of range of motion depending on how extensive a fusion is done.

I have c-5/6 disk deformation and had significant muscle atrophy in my right arm. After an injury and two re-injuries in 8 months (atrophy followed from this), I've been pretty good for over two years (I'm 43 now). My right side is still slightly weaker, but not much, and I've regained 90% of the muscle mass I lost.

On the other hand, if you're messing with your career, that's something to consider.

man, this is what keeps me up at night at least every other night, cause I know especially at 31yrs old, I have about a 5% chance to go all out and compete in the cage. I used to train most of the time fearing I get injured...I could actually hear the doctor say that paralysis is a possibility in my head while rolling. I'm working on a bulging disk in my neck and lower back. I don't care about the pain, I just worry about getting paralyzed. How do you other guys roll knowing this...or am I just being paranoid?

I see a nuerologist tuesday about my MRI results. Anyway, since I quit lifting, running, sports, and rolling, my arm has been becoming numb less and less. So hopefully, with some time this thing'll heal and I'll be able to train again. But I'll obviously take into consideration what the neurologist says.

Whatever you do, you have to rest it, even when you want to roll. I know the danger signals of my injury--a slight pain in my right shoulderblade--and I'll quit if I'm 30 seconds into my first roll. And you have to learn to tap quickly to moves that threaten your injury (for me, guillotines and crucifixes). Good luck.

I;m definately going to take as much time off to get back to 100% if I can (if that's even possible). We'll see what the nuerologist thinks. It's already gotten way better since I stopped training, and I'm still you, so hopefully it will heal. Sucks, I was told I was getting my purple this week -- but guess that's gonna have to wait.

Don't plan on being comfortable by the time your like 60 though.

20 to 30 years from now orthopedic medicine will be so far advanced it'll be unreckonizable when compared to today.

I bumped this thread becauseI wanted to see how some of you guys with disc problems are doing. I have a herniation between c6 and c7, going for an injection this Thursday. Luckily no atrophy, just left arm numbness and referred pain. Hopefully will be able to train soon.

L4/L5 Herniation:
Diagnosed in March 09 after a severe acute back injury in Feb 09
MRI, prescription drugs, physical therapy
Back to BJJ in late May (roughly 3 months lost)
Continued drugs until June or July I can't recall
Pain free in August

Acute pain episode in late Sept 2009
Resumed drugs and therapy
Cortisone injections late November, early December
Still on prescribed anti-inflammant
Resumed BJJ December 21st
Almost pain free, get a few aches and residual leg pain randomly

Doctor said that over time the inflammation dies out and the nerves go around the disc. Could be 1-3 years before I feel like I did pre-injury. He's avoiding surgery, and so am I becaue lumbar herniation surgeries are (in his opinion) not perfected sufficiently.

Herniations at C6-C7, T6-T7, and a bulge in the lower back. Just started PT last week. Taking OTC medication as prescription Naproxen didn't seem to do much for me. Nobody's recommended surgery, which I take as a good sign.

I'll also second the Dr. Sarno recommendation; definitely a very interesting read.

I have severe deterioration in C-5-7 and I also have a bulging T-5 and T-10. I chose to take meds and train through the pain, and I destroyed my cervical discs. At this point surgery is the only option. It's hard to sit out and take things easy, but in alot of cases it's the responsible thing to do. Meds and physical therapy do alot for most people, but lets be honest here, most people are not subjecting themselves to what we are.

Back