Here's how different boxing gyms can be...

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you think "boxing is boxing" no matter where you are, think again..

I recieved a warm welcome and was recommended to the advanced/ competitors group. They have fighters in need of sparring partners. One was a state champion. I'm happy to oblige.

First impression: tiny room, top standard equipment. A few bags hanging around, including a speed bag.

Now the shocker:

Cardio and conditioning NON EXISTENT. After shadow boxing with weights they went straight to bangin. No military conditioning with push ups and sit-ups. (didn't have room to jogg so I get that part). But no conditioning dudes!

They might end their class with some of it but it's nowhere near the quantity the other club.

My former gym required minimum 100 push-ups in total, 150 twisting sit-ups, and a boat load of other shit (carrying each other on our backs and stuff), jogging for 15 minutes straight before we got to the bangin (which we did on each other gloves... ).

This club uses actual pads, none of that glove punching shit.. Drilled overhand rights (!). and apparently doesn't give a rats ass about military conditioning in class.

:eek:

Some gyms have an arrangement where conditioning done on your time. You pay for their knowledge, not cond.

That's to say, don't skip out on it and use it as an excuse to not do your roadwork and whatnaught

Some gyms have an arrangement where conditioning done on your time. You pay for their knowledge, not cond.

That's to say, don't skip out on it and use it as an excuse to not do your roadwork and whatnaught

Also this difference in emphasis is noteworthy.

Gym 1: head movement priority nr 1. Bobbing and weaving be-all and end all of boxing

Gym 2: Shadow boxing and footwork be-all and end all of boxing.

Isolated head movement training totally absent in gym 2s class, while gym 1 indoctrinated us with various ducking and rocking drills every day.

Last edited:
Did Gym2 cost 50% more or even 2x the fees of Gym1? Gym1 sounds more old school. But maybe you were in the advanced/sparring class where it's mostly banging. And you're expected to get your cardio and bag work in the techniques class.

I notice in a Muay Thai gym, the Kru had you do conditioning as part of their regiment. In a boxing gym, you did conditioning on your own time. Also, I notice more girls in a muay thai gym where as you see maybe 2 or 3 girls in a boxing gym. We need more hot Asian chicks.....err... I mean more girls boxing.

It really depends.

First of all most coaches know the regulars sign boxing to get in shape thus they will add conditioning stuff.

I personally hate conditioning as I hit the gym at leat 3 times. Do boxing at least twice and play soccer at least twice. And when it is time for conditioning I usually just leave.

However if the coach knows what he is doing he is going to combine warm up with boxing specific drills.

I have been training soccer as a.kid and teen about 7-8 years. There are coaches who can make conditioning and warm ups or road work fun, there are some that will make it dull.

For example I had a coach who would make us dry jog 10 km and it was fucking boring. I had another one who will make us dribble ball, pass with a partner while running 10 km and it was fun.

Instead if sprinting like mad man the second coach will come with an over lapping drill and a cross inside the box where he makes 3 guys sprint like mad man for the ball and it is a tactical drill with conditioning at the same time additionally technical soccer elements.

The same shit is in boxing.

Did Gym2 cost 50% more or even 2x the fees of Gym1? Gym1 sounds more old school. But maybe you were in the advanced/sparring class where it's mostly banging. And you're expected to get your cardio and bag work in the techniques class.

Gym 1 costs 262.2 dollars a year

Gym 2 costs
183.3632 dollars a year

Gym 2 has more merited fighters. Gym is however much much smaller. But who cares. They got a ring and some heaby bags. What more can you ask for

Last edited:
Another thing that suprised me is that I'm the tallest or second tallest guy in both boxing gyms. I'm slightly taller than Holyfield, and he was a small for a HW. Haven't spotted any Klitchko heights...

186 cm is apparently tall for boxing.

Another thing that suprised me is that I'm the tallest or second tallest guy in both boxing gyms. I'm slightly taller than Holyfield, and he was a small for a HW. Haven't spotted any Klitchko heights...

186 cm is apparently tall for boxing.
Your gym is just filled with manlets

Gym 1 costs 262.2 dollars a year

Gym 2 costs
183.3632 dollars a year

Gym 2 has more merited fighters. Gym is however much much smaller. But who cares. They got a ring and some heaby bags. What more can you ask for

WTF is 183.3632 dollars?

If you think "boxing is boxing" no matter where you are, think again..

I recieved a warm welcome and was recommended to the advanced/ competitors group. They have fighters in need of sparring partners. One was a state champion. I'm happy to oblige.

First impression: tiny room, top standard equipment. A few bags hanging around, including a speed bag.

Now the shocker:

Cardio and conditioning NON EXISTENT. After shadow boxing with weights they went straight to bangin. No military conditioning with push ups and sit-ups. (didn't have room to jogg so I get that part). But no conditioning dudes!

They might end their class with some of it but it's nowhere near the quantity the other club.

My former gym required minimum 100 push-ups in total, 150 twisting sit-ups, and a boat load of other shit (carrying each other on our backs and stuff), jogging for 15 minutes straight before we got to the bangin (which we did on each other gloves... ).

This club uses actual pads, none of that glove punching shit.. Drilled overhand rights (!). and apparently doesn't give a rats ass about military conditioning in class.

:eek:

Sparring is the best way to learn. Its a lot of more fun than conditioning, and sparring is a form of conditioning. The fact you get to have fun right at the beginning means you will likely come back.

why was he playing headgames with me?
He's just grabbing it off Google and copy pasting. I don't think he knows how dollars are displayed with rounding. I don't think Euros have decimal increments

Sparring is the best way to learn. Its a lot of more fun than conditioning, and sparring is a form of conditioning. The fact you get to have fun right at the beginning means you will likely come back.

This is advanced/competitors group, not beginners. Head instructor told me that the gym was a slaughter house before he took over. People knocked out left right and center. No structure.

He's just grabbing it off Google and copy pasting. I don't think he knows how dollars are displayed with rounding. I don't think Euros have decimal increments

You can never be too precise

This is advanced/competitors group, not beginners. Head instructor told me that the gym was a slaughter house before he took over. People knocked out left right and center. No structure.

Haha, that's some good shit. Many people don't realize that Boxing and Wrestling are probably the toughest gyms to train at. Muay Thai and even full MMA, looks more dangerous on paper, due to all the extra weapons but there's a lot more light sparring. When you're just limited to only 1 specific weapon, then you'll get decent very quickly, start sparring real soon and go to hard, then straight to ring fights much, much faster. Which is why many insurance carriers will cover MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, BJJ and all sorts of Chopsockies....but will have a clause excluding Boxing and Wrestling.

Haha, that's some good shit. Many people don't realize that Boxing and Wrestling are probably the toughest gyms to train at. Muay Thai and even full MMA, looks more dangerous on paper, due to all the extra weapons but there's a lot more light sparring. When you're just limited to only 1 specific weapon, then you'll get decent very quickly, start sparring real soon and go to hard, then straight to ring fights much, much faster. Which is why many insurance carriers will cover MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, BJJ and all sorts of Chopsockies....but will have a clause excluding Boxing and Wrestling.

Yeah knockouts are allowed in boxing gyms as long as it's fair play. No problem.

Back