Bravo

More watered down cards
More fights where fighters don't really deserve a title shot but get it

"fake interim belts" lol
You gotta really love MMA to say something like this

Yeah

Like more weight classes will prevent massive weight cutters

If anything it will make it easier to try to cut extra 10 pounds

Everyone parroting this is part of the problem. It won't solve anything and it will greatly dilute the talent pool of each division.

I did, mod.

Fuck all those weight classes, just make it to where if you miss weight you lose money, suspended 6 months and have to have a couple fights at a higher weight class before returning to weight you missed.

Ariel does realize that dudes will still try to get into lower weight classes than they should right?

You started this in the wasteland?
Smart.

Ive been wanting em to replace 170 with 65/75 forever. The 55/70/85 divisions are stacked enough to fill the void.

Calling it a "fake interim" to defend his favorite fighter who never defends belts.

They keep losing fighters to bellator, they're not gonna have enough talent to fill the current divisions.

Yeah like tony and kevin prefer to fight bigger guys at 165lbs.

thats prime bullshit
nobody is cutting weight because of that lack of divisions.. people cut weight to get power advantage in the fight and they gonna keep doing that as long as their bodies can take it no meter how many divisions you create

He's right. Yet they invested in usada. Lee looked like a fucking ghost

Wasnt there a state that implemented the Fight Night Weigh in Rule? Where you cant weigh more than x lbs over the weight limit? or was it just talked about a whole lot and never done anything about. I think that would solve many problems.

It's not enough to just add new divisions. You have to implement some method of keeping track of their weights during fight camp, as well as hydration levels.

Bravo

More watered down cards
More fights where fighters don't really deserve a title shot but get it

Don't almost all of those weight classes exist already? So his BIG suggestion is to break 170 into 165 and 175, and keep everything else the same. Very innovative there Helwani.

I like Helwani as an interviewer. And hes solid when he talks about drama, buy rate, wwe stuff. But when it comes to MMA as a sport and competition he should really stick to asking the questions. I hate like 9/10 of his opinions when it comes to the sport itself.

Truth is, if they put in new divisions, it would be at least 1 generation of fighters before anyone benefits and fights closer to where they are naturally, rather than cut weight. Right now, they introduce 165, 99% of the 155s would keep cutting to 155, 170s would cut to 165.

Back