Helwani: Lyoto Machida Officially Joins Bellator

I like Lyoto. But Ryan Bader will totally destroy Machida in a rematch.

How did that work out for him last time again? If you want a hint it ended with him selling his company and working for the UFC.
Haha the fact you say that like it was a loss for him shows you don't know much about the business side of things.

Picture a guy that works for a local mom and pop gas station. He takes it over, it makes waves, then because of that Exxon buys him out. Then they give him a top ranking position at Exxon making the big bucks.

Doesn't UFC have to cut him or accept his release? I want the best for Lyoto, don't get me wrong. I'm just baffled UFC manages to lose so many big names

I really wish he would have retired on a high note. I don't wanna see him get KOd by a can/cans.

Outside of Hendo who did he poach from the UFC in SF that was still at the top of their game? Not really anyone

true- coker didnt poach the ufc to fill out his strikeforce roster. i simply meant he transformed bellator into the clear number 2 org like he did with strikeforce, albeit in different ways.

How could the UFC not do everything to keep him.

silly wme era.

Always one of my favs and he has some fun match-ups there.

Their ratings are in the toilet. He better step up that magic.

true. but i think the ufc's ratings and ppv sales are sliding, too, so not sure what that means. i guess if coker didnt make those moves, bellator would have died by now?

No real loss for the UFC.. He wasn't driving in the views like they wanted.

How did that work out for him last time again? If you want a hint it ended with him selling his company and working for the UFC.

sounds like a win-win! he made a nice profit off the sale of strikeforce to the ufc, and is now back in the same position in another premier mma organization.

Man I have a feeling Machida vs Mousasi 2 will be way different than part 1 was

Doesn't UFC have to cut him or accept his release? I want the best for Lyoto, don't get me wrong. I'm just baffled UFC manages to lose so many big names
They only lose the people they want to. If Bellator is willing to overpay for old ufc guys then why should the UFC stop them?

How does Bellator keep affording these guys?

Not sure what Machida was making, but I figure $150-200k per fight. Bellator's ratings are what, 500-600k on average? And I don't really think Machida is a draw. He was good for the UFC because he could headline a Brazil FN show, or a major fight on a PPV. But not sure he is that helpful for Bellator to bring to San Jose or something.
Sponsors.

Back