Helwani: Lyoto Machida Officially Joins Bellator

I didn't know Machida was 40. Why the fuck is he still fighting?

Hmm that's an interesting signing. Already has wins over Mousasi and Bader. Wonder if he goes for the mw belt, that's a rematch I'd like to see.

coker working his magic again. transforming bellator into a major player within a few years of taking over. get some young promising talent, sign former ufc veterans with high profiles/star power to add validity and fill out your org, and sign the longtime ufc announcer to further blur the line between the 2 orgs to the casual viewer.

Their ratings are in the toilet. He better step up that magic.

Pretty crazy how Bellator is a viable option for guys when their contract is up. Sponsors, no USADA and more freedom.

Too bad Bellator's ratings haven't been great because their roster is really coming together.

Bull butter...... Chael HW Champion over Mitrione
Realy, you've got Chael?
He's probably going to sub Fedor though, I'll give him that win.
I thought it was going to be Burger King vs Bader in the finals.

coker working his magic again. transforming bellator into a major player within a few years of taking over. get some young promising talent, sign former ufc veterans with high profiles/star power to add validity and fill out your org, and sign the longtime ufc announcer to further blur the line between the 2 orgs to the casual viewer.
Great analysis!

Another former UFC star is on his way to Bellator.

Lyoto Machida has verbally agreed to an exclusive multi-fight contract with the promotion, sources told ESPN. "The Dragon" is expected to sign the deal in the very near future.

Machida, 40, leaves the UFC on a two-fight winning streak and a 24-8 record. He most recently knocked out Vitor Belfort via front kick at UFC 224 last month in Rio de Janiero, which was the last fight on his UFC contract.

A former UFC light heavyweight champion, Machida made his promotional debut at UFC 67 in Feb. 2007. He won his first eight fights in a row en route to becoming the 205-pound champion picking up notable wins over the likes of Tito Ortiz, Rashad Evans, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Randy Couture, Ryan Bader and Dan Henderson, among many others. He is considered one of the greatest fighters in UFC history.

Machida's Bellator debut isn't set just yet, but he is expected to fight again in 2018. He joins the likes of Rory MacDonald, Benson Henderson, Gegard Mousasi, Frank Mir and Matt Mitrione, among others, who have recently left the UFC to sign with Bellator.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...yoto-machida-agrees-multi-fight-deal-bellator

Watch the Moose cry again when the Dragon beats him for the belt.

Damn I wanted to see Darren Till vs Machida.

The UFC is doing him a whole bunch of favors.

Outside of Hendo who did he poach from the UFC in SF that was still at the top of their game? Not really anyone, in Bellator he’s got a handful of guys like Rory, Moose, Davis, Bader, Mitrione, and he’s sprinkled in older guys like Machida, Chael, Rampage, Tito, Mir, Nelson and to a lesser extent Bendo whose been the only guy who hasn’t really panned out.

As for me personally this is definitely odd, Machida is my all time favorite fighter and he’s at the end, Bellator is probably the best spot for him but it’s gonna be a shock seeing him in Bellator.

Bellator making serious moves. Signing solid up and comers as well as vets.

Hope their presser doesn’t disappoint.

Good for him. Always been one of my favorite fighters.

How does Bellator keep affording these guys?

Not sure what Machida was making, but I figure $150-200k per fight. Bellator's ratings are what, 500-600k on average? And I don't really think Machida is a draw. He was good for the UFC because he could headline a Brazil FN show, or a major fight on a PPV. But not sure he is that helpful for Bellator to bring to San Jose or something.

How does Bellator keep affording these guys?

Not sure what Machida was making, but I figure $150-200k per fight. Bellator's ratings are what, 500-600k on average? And I don't really think Machida is a draw. He was good for the UFC because he could headline a Brazil FN show, or a major fight on a PPV. But not sure he is that helpful for Bellator to bring to San Jose or something.
Bellator gets away with paying these guys less than they were making in the UFC, but allowing them sponsors. I hear Rory MacDonald makes most of his Bellator fight night money through his cryptocoin sponsor.

UFC wants less Dragons and more wife beater/wwe guys it seems.

Good signing by Belator. They are getting quite the roster to make some fun fan friendly fight lately.

WAR MACHIDA!

Machida beatbtje snot out of bader and moose with little resistance. He is easily the best fighter on the roster now. Moose just probably had a nervous breakdown lolz. He thought he could have all the scrub smashing glory but heres come teh dragon to fuck it all up for him. Come at bellator fans and moose shills

I just realized he has wins over their MW and LHW champions (maybe HW too if Bader wins the tournament). Good move by Lyoto in my opinion. No sense in getting fed to young killers and top contenders in the UFC to close his career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back