Helping your kids with their wrestling when you only know bjj

plataoplombo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So my kids (they're 7) just started wrestling recently. They practice with kids their age who already have at least a year or 2 of experience. I've seen them get taken down and just kind of struggle on their backs so I showed them a hip escape which one of them hit in practice and ended up reversing position. I guess my question is how much should I teach them if any or should I just let them do everything the wrestling way.

If you're more knowledgeable in BJJ then teach them that. Find a wrestling coach or program that will teach them wrestling the correct way. That or Google it.

Be careful. Some jits moves are illegal in wrestling, and none consider taking a pinfall into account. But some lessons in leverage and escapes work nicely. One of my sons meshed it pretty well. The other got DQ'd lol.

Learn the wrestling rules. As long as you don't teach them anything illegal you should be fine.

Although if they get to an age where they're seriously competing then you may end up teaching them things that cause them to lose.

At that level I think you shouldn't do anything except reinforce what their coach is teaching them.

Next session, fill the room with triangles.

Wouldn't be hard for you to keep up with what they are learning or do some wrestling research yourself and help them get ahead, if you are doing BJJ it would benefit you as well to know as much wrestling as possible.

Sometimes BJJ and wrestling diverge but often times they can syngerize.

Considering showing them the knee shield to help prevent them from getting pinned. So far some good answers here sherbros.

Does your BJJ gym train how to properly complete single and double legs? How to sprawl? That and a decent headlock is a good start for kids. You should be able to practice that with them. Just drill the proper way to sprawl over and over. And how to shoot over and over. Just committing the act of doing everything you can not to go on your back after being taken down takes a while to commit to muscle memory.

I know there’s a wide spectrum of training styles at the millions of BJJ schools in this country, but I had a hard time finding one that properly trained take down and take down defense. 90% of the time we would start from the knees, which made no sense to me because that’s not how fights or competitions start or anything resembling any real combat sport situation, and if you don’t know if you can even get your opponent down there why always start like that? Are you going to drop to your knees and lay on your back on some concrete in a self defense situation? I ended up going with Sambo training because it was the perfect way to transition my wrestling into submissions. If you live in a city your kids might like some Sambo once they get their footing in wrestling.

Last edited:
Does your BJJ gym train how to properly complete single and double legs? How to sprawl? That and a decent headlock is a good start for kids. You should be able to practice that with them. Just drill the proper way to sprawl over and over. And how to shoot over and over. Just committing the act of doing everything you can not to go on your back after being taken down takes a while to commit to muscle memory.

I know there’s a wide spectrum of training styles at the millions of BJJ schools in this country, but I had a hard time finding one that properly trained take down and take down defense. 90% of the time we would start from the knees, which made no sense to me because that’s not how fights or competitions start or anything resembling any real combat sport situation, and if you don’t know if you can even get your opponent down there why always start like that? Are you going to drop to your knees and lay on your back on some concrete in a self defense situation? I ended up going with Sambo training because it was the perfect way to transition my wrestling into submissions. If you live in a city you’re kids might like some Sambo once they get their footing in wrestling.
I think the guys that compete drill that more, we always start from our knees which sucks but there aren't any wrestling schools or programs for novice adults in my area.

So my kids (they're 7) just started wrestling recently. They practice with kids their age who already have at least a year or 2 of experience. I've seen them get taken down and just kind of struggle on their backs so I showed them a hip escape which one of them hit in practice and ended up reversing position. I guess my question is how much should I teach them if any or should I just let them do everything the wrestling way.
Choke them unconscious and tell them BJJ is better.

I think the guys that compete drill that more, we always start from our knees which sucks but there aren't any wrestling schools or programs for novice adults in my area.

I see. Maybe check out YouTube. Some of the best wrestling coaches in country have endless free videos on the basics. Sounds like you’re looking for escapes from bottom position. Check it out, they will be totally different than what you’re doing in BJJ. If there’s an open mat at your BJJ school you can work them with a training buddy and have the kids come and do it too.

Good on you for helping your kids learn. I started wrestling in 8th grade when most my teammates had been on the mat since they were toddlers. I got my ass kicked for the first year but came back as a freshman and started winning a lot.

Traveling to some wrestling camps during summer helped. Don’t let them give up, they’ll catch up to the other kids.

Let their coach teach them and don't be that dad.

I was an NCAA D1 champion by the time I was 7. You need to push them harder.

Last edited:
Back