Help with plyos and bodyweight exercises for a newbie

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I need your help fellow forumers. I have been training well with weights and running. My cardio and strength levels have been improving. I am still a weakling and an over weight though. I have again moved to a new location. A small village near the beach. There is no gym so I thought I will try something new during the summer.

Main Goals improve cardio, improve muscle endurance, get faster and more explosive and work on boxing and soccer technique.

Ways to do that
- LISS runs on the beach
- swim at the sea try to reach 10-15 mins of non stop swimming
- body weight workouts
- plyos
- shadow boxing
- football skill drills that include sprints

Now main problems. I weight 91 kg and I am not strong enough. I can barely do 3 chin ups with a proper form. I also have no clue how to plyo.

Anyone can advice on a good body weight work out. How often I do it? How do I do plyos how often? I have never ever done plyos or bodyweight stuff.

Thanks in advance.

There's a lot of things you can do with BW. I've had a lot of fun with the startbodyweight program: http://www.startbodyweight.com/

It's all explained on the poster. Find the progression you are at and work from there. Don't rush through it, it's alot better to be able to do the reps properly and with good form before moving on, than rushing through and hitting a wall early. Being able to master your body, ie having good form, is also a lot more important than how challenging the exercise is perceived to be. You'll reap the benefits down the road.

There's only one lower body exercise pr workout in that program, so the best thing would be to do some barbell deadlifts or something on the side. If you can't, then hill sprints, or whatever you are doing for soccer, will be a good substitute temporarily.

Have fun, it's a cool program! The webpage has a lot of info on how to do the specific exercises, progressions, Q&A and so forth.

I would hold off on the plyos untill you lose some weight and slim down a little. After that you can come back here and get a few exercises.

Don't do plyos. True plyos are not for beginners and maybe not even for intermediates.

OK solid advice here. Thanks a lot people.

for endurance with bwe i like AMRAP stuff = as many rounds as possible in a set time frame.

20 minutes of 10 pushups 10 rows 5 dips 5 pullups for example.

buy some gymnastics rings btw. with a pullup bar or a tree you can have really good workouts with rings.

you can easily add weight to bwe via a backpack (pushups with weight is a great exercises)

i also like pyramid/ladder workouts where you change the reps every set and keep the rest short.
e.g. 1 pushup 1 row, 2 pushups 2 rows, 3 pushups 3 rows ... up to 10 and back down to 1 without rest if you can.

have fun

You're already doing plyometrics when you're running/sprinting.

I think there is a strength that is over looked time and again for things like plyos that highly applies to grappling and that is isometrics. I find myself noticing this more and more. Very little explosive type work with my grappling style which is very heavy pressure with grinding movements. When the submission is available I hit as hard and fast as possible, but I simply can't see anything like plyos helping this. Flexibility and mobility seems to help that more.

Why not do plyos as a beginner? When I started track I was certain I was doing plyometrics pretty early on.

Maybe Plyos aren't that necessary for grappling, and that they require good instruction, understanding and application but I wouldn't say don't do plyos because you're a beginner.

Why not do plyos as a beginner? When I started track I was certain I was doing plyometrics pretty early on.

Maybe Plyos aren't that necessary for grappling, and that they require good instruction, understanding and application but I wouldn't say don't do plyos because you're a beginner.
It's not that you can't do them as a beginner in some form, it's more that if you are A) overweight, B) don't know what you are doing and have no coaching and C) an adult with no strength training background it might be better to strengthen the tissue a little and lose some weight before getting into it.

There is certainly versions of plyos you can do at pretty much any level, but again it's much easier with the right coaching. High impact/high demand stuff is not the best out the gate imo, especially if you don't know how to absorb the forces.

I think there is a strength that is over looked time and again for things like plyos that highly applies to grappling and that is isometrics. I find myself noticing this more and more. Very little explosive type work with my grappling style which is very heavy pressure with grinding movements. When the submission is available I hit as hard and fast as possible, but I simply can't see anything like plyos helping this. Flexibility and mobility seems to help that more.

What clalifies as flexibility and mobility in the western language. I am always confused when I read these. Can you give examples with exercices or videos or a definition.

What clalifies as flexibility and mobility in the western language. I am always confused when I read these. Can you give examples with exercices or videos or a definition.

I just got to tell you man, I'm a briar hopper from Ky so I basically speak another form of western language. But, seeing that I am the one that said it what I was talking about is having my muscles loose and warm and my hip joints able to move through their complete range of motion. This makes arm bars and triangle chokes much easier especially when you have stumps for legs like me.

Back