Help with Headgear please!

IrishPatBrown

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey everyone! How's it going? I'm new here this is my first post,I'm a new upcoming Boxer I would love to get the winning fg2900 headgear one day but don't have the money to drop for that,so some other alternatives I'm thinking about after seeing few reviews on here,which of these is the best looking into UMA R9, Ring 2 cage Japanese headgear or lastly SABAS headgear? All seem like quality choices but hoping some of you guys can chip in with your opinions to help out a fellow Boxer! Also want a either black or red color to somewhat match my incoming r2c C17s,thanks again guys! Can't decide between the 3 so help me please! What's best protection,quality,durability of the 3?

You should just do a search of the past threads. All three of the headgear have been reviewed.

The R2C and UMA R9 seem to have gotten the better reviews with regard to FG2900-like headgear. I got the UMA R9 (haven't been able to test it out yet) but in terms of fit and feel, I like it a lot. The stock UMA R9 is about $10 cheaper shipped than the R2C one, if that means anything. Also, the black UMA R9 is all black. The R2C one, if I'm not mistaken, has white ear guards.

You should just do a search of the past threads. All three of the headgear have been reviewed.

The R2C and UMA R9 seem to have gotten the better reviews with regard to FG2900-like headgear. I got the UMA R9 (haven't been able to test it out yet) but in terms of fit and feel, I like it a lot. The stock UMA R9 is about $10 cheaper shipped than the R2C one, if that means anything. Also, the black UMA R9 is all black. The R2C one, if I'm not mistaken, has white ear guards.
Yeah I have done plenty of research,mostly reviews from here,but just trying to find out which one people truly like the best and has best feel and protection of the three headgears UMA R9,r2c or SABAS? Yes I would want solid black or red

Yeah I have done plenty of research,mostly reviews from here,but just trying to find out which one people truly like the best and has best feel and protection of the three headgears UMA R9,r2c or SABAS? Yes I would want solid black or red
Then I'd go with the UMA R-9. I know they have solid black as a stock option. You'd have to inquire about red. You could always go custom as well, but that would be more money...

For $90 the stock UMA R-9 offers the best protection.

Second would be the R2C IR-81.

Lastly the Sabas Pro Series. I rank Sabas third because the padding is thin when compared to both the R9 and IR81, BUT Sabas beats both of them in back padding by a wide margin considering both the R9 and IR81 have no back padding at all.

That being said the Sabas offers a lot of protection for the face, im not trying to say its bad because its not at all its just the other two protect the face and nose better due to thicker padding and because the cheeks hug the face and cover up more.

It comes down to what you value more, Face vs Back of the head.

The Sabas is good all around. And the R9 and IR81 are good for the face.

If i ranked my favorite headgears of all time it would probably go.

FG2900
R-9
Sabas Pro Series
IR-81

If price matters, i think the Sabas is $80 right now on sale. After that a stock R9 is $90, the IR81 is $100.

Lastly the Sabas Pro Series. I rank Sabas third because the padding is thin when compared to both the R9 and IR81, BUT Sabas beats both of them in back padding by a wide margin considering both the R9 and IR81 have no back padding at all.

That being said the Sabas offers a lot of protection for the face, im not trying to say its bad because its not at all its just the other two protect the face and nose better due to thicker padding and because the cheeks hug the face and cover up more.

FG2900
R-9
Sabas Pro Series
IR-81

If price matters, i think the Sabas is $80 right now on sale. After that a stock R9 is $90, the IR81 is $100.
thanks so much i been talking to the guy at UMA he quoted me 120

FG2900
R-9
Sabas Pro Series
IR-81

Would u say black or solid red color holds up better? Easier to clean? UMA is real good and trust worthy?

thanks so much i been talking to the guy at UMA he quoted me 120

Would u say black or solid red color holds up better? Easier to clean? UMA is real good and trust worthy?
$120 for a stock R-9??

Both will hold up the same and neither is easier to clean. not saying its not easy im just saying black isnt harder to clean and vice versa you know? I have Black, gold, purple, silver, red, and probably more UMA color gear and they're holding up equally man. Dont worry about that.

UMA is amazing and their customer service is top notch. They'll answer anything and everything, ive spent a lot of money on their stuff and ive been happy, ESPECIALLY with the R-9.

$120 for a stock R-9??

Both will hold up the same and neither is easier to clean. not saying its not easy im just saying black isnt harder to clean and vice versa you know? I have Black, gold, purple, silver, red, and probably more UMA color gear and they're holding up equally man. Dont worry about that.

UMA is amazing and their customer service is top notch. They'll answer anything and everything, ive spent a lot of money on their stuff and ive been happy, ESPECIALLY with the R-9.
you have a custom one right? he said this about custom"
Headguard you can choose any color combination with your custom design or logo and you can also customize thickness of padding and size of headguard as well.

Thank you"

on your custom did you get it any more padding or thickness?? for stock like u said its 90 shipped,my question is even just stock R-9 awesome or do u gotta get it custom to get it better than R2C headgear and SABAS one? thinking of going R9 with your help man!especially since u said its right below the winning as your fav! u think stock would be awesome as well or go custom for more padding?

cleardot.gif

you have a custom one right? he said this about custom"
Headguard you can choose any color combination with your custom design or logo and you can also customize thickness of padding and size of headguard as well.

Thank you"

on your custom did you get it any more padding or thickness?? for stock like u said its 90 shipped,my question is even just stock R-9 awesome or do u gotta get it custom to get it better than R2C headgear and SABAS one? thinking of going R9 with your help man!especially since u said its right below the winning as your fav! u think stock would be awesome as well or go custom for more padding?

cleardot.gif
Stock is perfectly fine. My R-9 is custom but ita pretty much a stock one. From my understanding they didnt change anything besides giving people a cheaper and quicker option. The only "custom" thing about mine is the colors i choose. Half copper and half black but i would have gone with stock Black if it was available back then because its cheaper.

You dont need to make it thicker man. Its as thick as it should be, the thing protects your face so perfectly. I cant stress that enough, the cheeks literally deflect hooks off so they never hit your nose and they take some sting off of straight shots. The headgear is amazing. Its also one of the most comfortable headgears out there. You should be absolutely fine and satisfied with a stock one.

Get custom if you want to spend more money and add your own colors and stuff to it though. If that doesnt interest you then just get stock. Keep in mind custom takes a couple weeks.

Stock is perfectly fine. My R-9 is custom but ita pretty much a stock one. From my understanding they didnt change anything besides giving people a cheaper and quicker option. The only "custom" thing about mine is the colors i choose. Half copper and half black but i would have gone with stock Black if it was available back then because its cheaper.

You dont need to make it thicker man. Its as thick as it should be, the thing protects your face so perfectly. I cant stress that enough, the cheeks literally deflect hooks off so they never hit your nose and they take some sting off of straight shots. The headgear is amazing. Its also one of the most comfortable headgears out there. You should be absolutely fine and satisfied with a stock one.

Get custom if you want to spend more money and add your own colors and stuff to it though. If that doesnt interest you then just get stock. Keep in mind custom takes a couple weeks.
Thanks so much man! Gonna order one in next day or so 90 bucks is steal for that awesome headgear!' Kinda dumb question but u think I should get red or black headgear color? It will be going with red c17s and possible black SABAS groin protector

Thanks so much man! Gonna order one in next day or so 90 bucks is steal for that awesome headgear!' Kinda dumb question but u think I should get red or black headgear color? It will be going with red c17s and possible black SABAS groin protector
Id go with Black man. That thing just looks so smooth its insane. Either color would be sweet though but i love the black one

For what it's worth, I also vote for black. In the case that you get another pair of gloves, it's more likely that they'll go with the black than the red. Also, if you got red from UMA, you would risk having a different shade of red for your gloves and your headgear—it's less likely (or less noticeable) with black.

Thanks everyone probably will go for black just cause will pretty much go with any color! One last question is there any high quality fg5000 winning inspired head gears out there? Like R9,r2c,SABAS are awesome and inspired from fg2900,any along the same lines but inspired and Like the fg5000?!

I have the TopBoxer FG-5000 inspired headgear and I like it a lot. The only other face saver I have is the Reyes redesigned face bar and the TopBoxer face saver is SIGNIFICANTLY better. I haven't tried any of the other brands.

Thanks everyone probably will go for black just cause will pretty much go with any color! One last question is there any high quality fg5000 winning inspired head gears out there? Like R9,r2c,SABAS are awesome and inspired from fg2900,any along the same lines but inspired and Like the fg5000?!
UMA is working on one... And Sabas makes custom ones.

The UMA one should be as light as the Winning one, while I think the Sabas one is 5 or 6 ounces heavier.

I have the TopBoxer FG-5000 inspired headgear and I like it a lot. The only other face saver I have is the Reyes redesigned face bar and the TopBoxer face saver is SIGNIFICANTLY better. I haven't tried any of the other brands.
How much did you pay, if I may ask?

Ill be getting my Sabas FG5000 inspired headgear in the coming weeks and ill be sure to review it.

Currently using my TB Dragon series facesaver and its incredible

Top boxer one as good as UMA r-9 and r2c headgears or UMA best besides winning?

one last question guys just so i dont have to make another thread for this,how exactly should i measure my head for headgear since i have long hair? should i do it in pony tail,down or what? wonder if the hair will add some inches to my head size?

There are a couple of people on the boards that also have the TopBoxer along with the ones you mentioned. I am very happy with the headgear that I do have. I am tempted to buy the UMA stock headgear. I may end up getting it with some custom gloves. And then some sabas gloves. I want the sabas headgear but I don't know if it protects long noses well.

Back