Help needed: Whey Protein for kid's breakfast

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by therealdope, Nov 25, 2016.

1. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    Unlike my wife and me, my kids like to eat stuff full of carbs and sugar. Obviously we control what is on the dinner table but breakfast seems to be just cereals that are carbs and sugar, or toast with jam. Similar thing with lunches. My wife asked our primary care physician for a referral to a nutritionist who suggested frozen fruit, milk and whey protein shakes (no sugar added) for breakfast. The nutritionist specifically recommended "Genuine Health" Whey Protein.

[​IMG]

I noticed that this product has Stevia which I don't like (insulin response and repeated response cycle). Do any of you have an alternate product to recommend? I'm not price sensitive. I want a high quality product without artificial sweeteners.

Your input is appreciated.

2. The Audience White Belt

The Audience
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Yugo King and therealdope like this.
  3. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    Having carbs at the beginning of the day is a common enough tribal diet, I expect it's probably fine?

I give mine porridge or weetabix, both got protein in. Sometimes it's just toast. Am I bad when I do that?

4. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    You are just plain evil and will probably burn in hell with a 1000 Thai bar girls.......

On a serious note, don't worry too much about the little carb junkies. I have the same issue with mine.

5. lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

lts5025
    Are your kids fat? If not, why do you care so much about their carb intake? Growing children should get the bulk of their calories from carbs anyway. If you're worried about them eating clean, have them eat something kid-friendly with no added sugar, like Chex or Cheerios and then add bananas or strawberries to sweeten it.

6. Tayski Purple Belt

Tayski
    Most Chex and Cheerios products have quite a lot of sugar in it.

Multigrain Cheerios 21g of sugar per 100g (21% sugar):
    https://www.nestle-cereals.com/uk/en/products-promotions/brands/cheerios-brand/cheerios

Honey Cheerios 24g of sugar per 100g (24% sugar):
    https://www.nestle-cereals.com/uk/en/products-promotions/brands/cheerios-brand/honey-cheerios

Wheat Chex 11g of sugar per 100g (11% sugar)
    http://smartlabel.generalmills.com/BMN/3858660562

7. lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

lts5025
    Did I mention fucking Honey Nut Cheerios? No, I didn't, and for good reason.

Regular Cheerios have 1.2 grams of sugar per serving. Rice Chex have 2 grams of sugar per serving.

BTW almost every prepared grain product you buy will have some sort of added sweetener in it because otherwise it will taste like shit. That whole wheat bread you buy? It either has corn syrup, honey or molasses in it. That 100% organic fair-trade cereal from Vermont that you buy at Whole Foods? It's got "evaporated cane juice", which is just a fancy way of saying brown sugar.

Don't want added sugar? Enjoy eating steel cut oats and baking your own gross bread.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  8. Tayski Purple Belt

Tayski
    Your original comment said there was no additional sugar in Cheerios and Chex which is not correct.

I linked up 2 of the most available Cheerios products out there and one of the Chex products and all of them have added sugar.

Even the 'regular cheerios' and 'rice chex' that you now specifically mention have added sugar in them. Rice Chex has 2g sugar per 27g serving which is basically 7.4% added sugar.

You can buy porridge without added sugar in most stores over here, to that you can add fruits as you suggested previously. There are many other alternatives without added sugar, have a look online.

9. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    No, but they are bulkier than they should be. they have friends that are straight up fat/overweight. I'm looking at the stuff they eat outside of our home meals and it is all carbs and sugar. As another poster pointed out, sugar is in everythign and when taken in totality it's a ridiculous amount.

We've got our kids in more activities now (this is a longer story) and my wife and I are trying to help them reduce the amount of sugar they eat. The thing about carbs is that if our kids just eat what is easiest and accessible they will eat toast with jam for breakfast, a bagel with cream cheese for lunch, and load up their plate with cabs for dinner (pasta, rice, or potato). that's not the worst of it though. they have snacks at school (two a day) and most of them are just carbs and or sugar.

10. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    I ate steel cut oats for breakfast for years and used to bake my own bread quite often. I've stopped that because the kids love fresh bread (I do too) but it's just pure carbs and they fill up on that, with no fruits or protein.

Exactly.

11. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
  12. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    Thanks. I bet the "natural" part is Stevia. just a guess.

BTW - my kids do frozen raspberries and a tsp of cocoa powder in their morning smoothies and it tastes like a raspberry truffle. I even think it tastes good -- and I'm not a big a fan of chocolate.

13. JSN Steel Belt

JSN
    You might need an emulsifier if you use it, but concentrated casein protein should be digested more slowly and thus be more satiating.

Whey protein is broken down very quickly, which is why it's kind of become the go to protein concentrate in fitness (prolly that is it comes from a super low value byproduct so it's going to be cheap and have high margins).

EDIT or could just use some skyr as the protein source. The little packs of Siggi's, even the flavored ones, have over 10g of protein.

http://greekyogurt.me/siggis-nutrition-facts/

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    therealdope likes this.
  14. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope

Cool - thanks. I've never heard of Casein or skyr. My wife is a big fan of Siggis because it is full of protein and low on added sugar.

15. JSN Steel Belt

JSN
    Siggi's is some good ass shit for sure. I'm sure it's considerably more expensive than powdered protein on a per gram of protein basis, but plain Siggi's would probably be the best choice to add as the protein source to a smoothie unless you want to add 100% protein. Tastes good and all that.

therealdope likes this.
  16. 007 License to Kill

ask Dolce <28>

17. EL CORINTHIAN Purple Belt

EL CORINTHIAN
    Get your kids some of that puffed wheat cereal which is lower on calories relative to the volume and use that as cereal. Blend some milk, some whey, cinnamon and a banana and pour it over the cereal and there you go. Cheap, healthier alternative and tastes amazing.

Look at whey as an ingredient. Don't force shakes onto your kids, instead ust sneak it into their diets ninja style and they won't be able to tell the difference.

18. wellz6 Black Belt

wellz6
    If Genuine Health whey has stevia in it then Dan Quinn would surely approve

upload_2016-12-15_9-15-6.jpeg

19. Codger Brown Belt

Codger
    Porridge oats, fruit and yoghurt, eggs, bacon, toast and peanut butter, shredded wheat - there are loads of choices. Just don't eat super sugary cereals every single day.

if you want to make the odd smoothie with protein then just get plain whey and add some honey (or sugar for that matter).

20. therealdope Gold Belt

therealdope
    they actually like the shakes. My one daughter figured out that if she puts a tsp of cocoa powder with frozen strawberries it takes like raspberry truffles.

I order the cascien protein recommended by JSN.