Help My Brother Arm Bar His Belly Fat

Garygoldridge8

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
If you’ve lost a bunch of weight through BJJ then I could really use your advice.

I am in the best shape of my life as a result of BJJ. I am trying to get my brother to try it out because he is a bit overweight. Well frankly……..….he is fat as hell

I am his big brother so naturally, he won’t listen to me.
I was hoping to get some feedback from you so I could show him your viewpoint.

1. What was your biggest fear or frustration with starting Jiu Jitsu?
2. What has been your biggest benefit from Jiu Jitsu?
3. What would have got you to start sooner?

just kick his ass. then hell want to train to be able to kick your ass back! Thats how nick trained nate.

Break his jaw so he has to go on a liquid diet

If you’ve lost a bunch of weight through BJJ then I could really use your advice.

I am in the best shape of my life as a result of BJJ. I am trying to get my brother to try it out because he is a bit overweight. Well frankly……..….he is fat as hell

I am his big brother so naturally, he won’t listen to me.
I was hoping to get some feedback from you so I could show him your viewpoint.

1. What was your biggest fear or frustration with starting Jiu Jitsu?
2. What has been your biggest benefit from Jiu Jitsu?
3. What would have got you to start sooner?
"Your brother" should just start training.

Be honest now, all you want is a more legitimate way of beating your younger brother up.

How stupid do you think we are?

Word of advice, if your telling him should do something because he has a problem, usually doesn't make someone want to do it.

the joy of rolling isn't to get in shape, it's the motions, the meditation like state of being 100% in the moment, where all life problems don't matter when someone is trying Trying to rip your arm off.

Losing weight and being in shape is something that happens in all active sports, BJJ doesn't mean much to him.

if you actually wanted your brother to get in shape than u should find what activities interest him and do it with him.

Word of advice, if your telling him should do something because he has a problem, usually doesn't make someone want to do it.

the joy of rolling isn't to get in shape, it's the motions, the meditation like state of being 100% in the moment, where all life problems don't matter when someone is trying Trying to rip your arm off.

Losing weight and being in shape is something that happens in all active sports, BJJ doesn't mean much to him.

if you actually wanted your brother to get in shape than u should find what activities interest him and do it with him.

This makes sense. Thank you bro

In general people won't stick to things unless they are internally motivated. And that goes double for something as tough as BJJ. Also, there are lots of ways to lose weight, judging by all the fat dudes at my school I'd say BJJ isn't at the top of the list. I think you ought to leave him alone.

1) I had no fear going into Jiu Jitsu, because I was a good BB in a TMA and an experienced brawler. Then I went to my first BJJ class and I got tapped out twice by a 13 year old boy and realized that I didn't know shit, and that I had to learn JJ.

2) Before Jiu Jitsu I would smoke a pack a day and I would drink 18 beers on Thursday night, and again on Friday night and Saturday night. On drinking nights sometimes I would smoke close to two packs of cigs. I was 40 pounds overweight and my heart was close to failure. Now I am lean af, stronger than I've ever been. I am energetic and lift weights, motivated to eat healthy, I'm smoke free and rarely drink. I have a whole bunch of friends now that are all in love with Jiu Jitsu and seek self-improvement.

3) An open mind. I was a TMA guy and BJJ was just getting known because of Royce when my buddy got into it. He begged me to get into it and train with him, but I literally had the attitude that "I have zero-interest in rolling around on the ground with some sweaty guy". We had both trained in TKD together for years and got our Black belts together. Now he is my Jiu Jitsu teacher and a multiple JJ black belt.

I wish to fuck I had have started when he started instead of wasting 15 years of my life on beer and cigarettes.

didnt read all the replies but you might have better luck starting him out with boxing or kickboxing...that appeals to nearly every single guy, because every single guy wants to be the one who can win a fist fight haha

beyond that if i know work will keep me away from training for awhile, i tend to cut the carbs way back to almost keto, and i actually lose weight when im not training

Back