help me stop this brown belt

bignog23

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Most people I roll with attempt to pass my half guard on their knees. Not everyone, but most at our school do it this way. However, there's a brown belt that I roll with occasionally who always stands up to pass my half guard. He typically uses a knee slice or reverse sit to pass.

Worst case, he passes me with ease, best case, I hold him off for a minute. So, I'm asking for your help! Experienced grapplers, what is your 'go to' against a guy standing to pass your half guard this way? Both gi & no gi would be helpful. links to vids would also be great.

Thanks!!!

Half guard vs standing is not really a thing. You have to transition immediately to another guard. Depending on the limb placement, and whether he stands up and away or pressuring into you, you could transition into Reverse DLR, Shin guard, or DLR. There may also be an opportunity for a single leg.

This video kinda shows how to switch to RDLR from half guard vs the stand/knee slice:

Here's some good tips on shin guard vs the stand/knee slice:

Also keep in mind that if he can just stand versus your half guard, you are neglecting to engage his upper body. You probably like diving under for electric chair-type positions and don't really care about getting an underhook or controlling his head. That is why he's able to stand. If I have an underhook and someone stands, my bodyweight slows them down (transferred through the underhook) and I either shuck their arm and take their back immediately, or come up into a takedown or even throw.

All roads lead to 1lx

Half guard vs standing is not really a thing. You have to transition immediately to another guard. Depending on the limb placement, and whether he stands up and away or pressuring into you, you could transition into Reverse DLR, Shin guard, or DLR. There may also be an opportunity for a single leg.

This video kinda shows how to switch to RDLR from half guard vs the stand/knee slice:

Here's some good tips on shin guard vs the stand/knee slice:

Also keep in mind that if he can just stand versus your half guard, you are neglecting to engage his upper body. You probably like diving under for electric chair-type positions and don't really care about getting an underhook or controlling his head. That is why he's able to stand. If I have an underhook and someone stands, my bodyweight slows them down (transferred through the underhook) and I either shuck their arm and take their back immediately, or come up into a takedown or even throw.

Thank you. This is helpful. I was thinking shin guard --> x guard, however I don't have a lot of xp playing those positions. Also, helpful reminder about engaging the upper body. Basically, he clears my grips, then sits back and pops up to stand. I need to make sure I control his upper body better and if he gets up, make a transition into one of the guards you mentioned. Thanks again!

No gi reply: I've been playing a lot of half lately with some success against higher (brown/black) levels. I know both situations you're talking about.

For the knee cut: I catch their foot between my thighs, get fully on my hip, and tuck under their arm for the underhook. From there it's dependent on what he does; if he stands fully I'll sometimes come up on the single, or go to my back directly underneath and play a deep half or transition to X, depending on their weight distribution and my mood. If they stay low because they're doggedly trying to finish the knee cut, I'll either base off his body and shrimp to re-establish a closed guard, or if possible I'll fight for the underhook and try to control his hips. From there I can let them finish what they think is a pass into a head control kesa position, but they've actually given up their back and have to scramble to not lose position, which usually ends up in a sweep. One really important point on the knee cut defense: when I catch the ankle at the end of their pass attempt, I don't cross my ankles. I can get a better squeeze on their leg this way and maintain control while they try to kick free with their free leg. When my ankles are crossed it provides a better opportunity for my opponent to get free.

I don't know if that will help. Obviously video would be superior to a bunch of words here, but hopefully there's something beneficial there. I started typing out my explanation of dealing with reverse to sit but realized it's just going to be even worse trying to read it instead of seeing it.

Ask your instructor or your fellow brown belt how you can improve. They see you rolling first hand.

Thank you. This is helpful. I was thinking shin guard --> x guard, however I don't have a lot of xp playing those positions. Also, helpful reminder about engaging the upper body. Basically, he clears my grips, then sits back and pops up to stand. I need to make sure I control his upper body better and if he gets up, make a transition into one of the guards you mentioned. Thanks again!

You have come to a point that I call "The Half Guard Crossroads," where you must decide whether to go all-in with half guard, or just make it a part of an overall game. True do-or-die half guard players like Lucas Leite, Bernardo Faria, Eddie Bravo, Jeff Glover, etc. knowingly commit to being put in lots of bad spots in order to reap those half guard rewards. Thus, they are very good surviving and attacking from places like quarter guard, but I'm sure it took a ton of loop chokes, smash passes, and kimuras to reach that point.

I like the stay off your back comment. If you're already there, and he passes, turtle up.

Back