Help me quit smoking!

mattemate

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Got divorced about a year ago and started smoking pretty heavily. I feel the damage accruing and I'm so ready to quit but legit hooked. Needless to say my cardio has suffered.

Any similar experiences or advice?

Flaming welcomed in this thread.

stop going inside of gas stations. gas stations/convenience stores are a racket selling poison to poor people: gasoline, cigarettes, alcohol, candy, and salty food.

pay for your gas at the pump and leave.

the first step to stopping smoking is to stop buying cigarettes.

secondly, stop the routine. do you smoke when you wake up? on your breaks? in your car? don't. stop associating those things with smokey time.

if you're super hooked you can try to wean off with patches. you're trading one vice for another, but at least it'll help your lungs.

stop hanging out with smokers. find friends interested in pursuing sport and taking care of themselves. i sometimes feel bad that i've distanced myself from friends who waste their money/lives in bars night after night, but honestly it's for the best. you don't have to circle the drain with them.

my old man smoked from when he was 13 until he was 36, then quit cold turkey when they had me. that's probably one of the many reasons the man resents me but i digress: dude chomps gum like it's his job. it doesn't necessarily help with the nicotine cravings but i think it's a substitute for the oral fixation? i really wish i didn't just type a paragraph that had the words 'my dad' and 'oral fixation' in it, but cest la vie.

tldnr: stop buying smokes, stop hanging out with smokers

Got divorced about a year ago and started smoking pretty heavily. I feel the damage accruing and I'm so ready to quit but legit hooked. Needless to say my cardio has suffered.

the patch worked really well for me.

I was a pack a day smoker for like 15 years.
Tried quitting a few times and couldn't.

Made a 2011 new year resolution to quit and last cigarette I had was January 2nd 2011.

What made a difference that attempt is that I actually tried the nicotine gum. I did not use it as instructed, I just chewed a piece ONLY one I had a very bad craving. For that, they helped a LOT.

I barely used half the tube by the time I stopped feeling the urges and was over the hump

Try them I rrally recommend it

are you training at all at the moment? i started judo and thats what made me quit...wanted to try my best at something new and it was super tough but it helped. good luck

Champix is a pill and guaranteed to work, if you suffer mental illness and on meds not recommended

When I quit i took developed my own "militant" method. Everytime I started smoking I'd talk shit to myself like i was a drill sergeant, and force myself to throw out full or half full packs of cigarettes, half smoked cigarettes. It took me about a week.

Maybe that'll work for you, maybe not.

Smoking's a waste of beer money. Just start drinking more.

are you training at all at the moment? i started judo and thats what made me quit...wanted to try my best at something new and it was super tough but it helped. good luck

Same for me. Smoked for 20 years and when I tried bjj I realized early on that it was something I really wanted to do. I also quickly realized that I had to make a choice. I could either continue to smoke or continue to train. I couldn't do both. I decided to continue to train and it was the best decision I ever made.

Yeah I am. I hack up crap in the mornings, and it is affecting my cardio but honestly not nearly as much as I would have thought. It's making my allergies worse too.

Champix is a pill and guaranteed to work, if you suffer mental illness and on meds not recommended

it wasn't just people suffering from mental illness, a lot of folks developed serious suicidal thoughts from Chantix. my girlfriend did her law school internship with an insurance law firm and they had a LOT of chantix cases

They WILL kill you. I almost died from them 5 years ago. BJJ saved my life.

I quit cold turkey 18 years ago after smoking pack a day for many years.

Option one:
Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking

Option two:
Stop quitting smoking and become non-smoker. Whenever you have cravings you tell yourself "I am not a smoker. Smoking is not an option".

Option three:
Legal disclaimer: Do not try that if you are an American living in the US without consulting with your doctor and laywer. This only works for Russians living in Russia.
Abstain from smoking for only 12 days. Then buy a pack of your favorite cigarettes, sit in your most enjoyable smoking environment and light up a cigarette. Inhale deeply fully rewarding yourself for the break. One puff after another without stopping. Once you finish first cigarette light up one more and continue. Then you get dizzy, break into cold sweat, heart running, face turns green. Two cigarettes will be more than enough to stop thinking about smoking for years. Nicotine poisoning is awful.

Could get a vape instead, to bridge you until your chem dependency is over. Then white knuckle it.

it wasn't just people suffering from mental illness, a lot of folks developed serious suicidal thoughts from Chantix. my girlfriend did her law school internship with an insurance law firm and they had a LOT of chantix cases
Fuck that suicide already runs in my family

Back