HELP, How do you punch.

Umar

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hola everybody, I sixteen and my second month in the gym is coming to an end.

I have improved alot from my previous slob state, I've lost 15Kilos and currently am 95kilos LOL.
I don't control my diet.
I go to gym for three hours every day, six days a week.
An hour for Boxing, and another for BJJ, and finally another for Conditioning and wrestling drills.
I've even come close to KO a few guys while sparring.

But Theres only one thing that troubles me, How do you punch a bag, I can kick it fine, but how do you punch it without breaking your hands, the coaches tell me to not push the bag. They say "Don't push, make contact and then retract your arm". I follow what they say, But my hands hurt whenever I literally do anything to it.
Is is going to be okay if I keep practicing.

Thanks alot
Slob

A good punch doesn't move the bag, it sinks into the bag. It's supposed to generate a shockwave inside the body and that means pulling it back as fast as it goes in.

Your hands shouldn't hurt. Is that a physical problem?

If you're pushing the bag chances are you're punching with tensed muscles and throwing a heavy, slow punch. Try relaxing every muscle, using your legs to initiate the strike and start with relaxed fists (just go light/slow to begin with to get a good range and feel). For example, for a cross, your punch will begin with your back foot pushing off the ground, then your hips powering toward the target and finally your shoulder propelling your hand toward the bag. If you do the drill correctly you won't need to punch at all, those 3 areas will "throw" your hand forward. As you go a bit faster you can close your firsts upon impact but work on keeping your muscles relaxed during the process then steadily fire them closer toward the end of the strike to maximize your speed/power. It's tough to describe but starting your punch tensed will lead to exactly what you describe in terms of pushing the bag vs sinking your fist into it. As for your hands, they will be a bit sore if you're not used to heavy bag work. Make sure you have decent gloves and if need be, try the gel pads for your knuckles under your wraps until you get used to it.

If you're pushing the bag chances are you're punching with tensed muscles and throwing a heavy, slow punch. Try relaxing every muscle, using your legs to initiate the strike and start with relaxed fists (just go light/slow to begin with to get a good range and feel). For example, for a cross, your punch will begin with your back foot pushing off the ground, then your hips powering toward the target and finally your shoulder propelling your hand toward the bag. If you do the drill correctly you won't need to punch at all, those 3 areas will "throw" your hand forward. As you go a bit faster you can close your firsts upon impact but work on keeping your muscles relaxed during the process then steadily fire them closer toward the end of the strike to maximize your speed/power. It's tough to describe but starting your punch tensed will lead to exactly what you describe in terms of pushing the bag vs sinking your fist into it. As for your hands, they will be a bit sore if you're not used to heavy bag work. Make sure you have decent gloves and if need be, try the gel pads for your knuckles under your wraps until you get used to it.

Thanks alot for the advice, I understand completely what you're trying to say, will follow

Dude go to a fucking boxing gym or YouTube video, I can't think of a worse way to learn than trying to read an explanation. You need a demonstration and real time critique of your form

Hola everybody, I sixteen and my second month
An hour for Boxing, and another for BJJ, and finally another for Conditioning and wrestling drills.
I've even come close to KO a few guys while sparring.
First advice would be to not try to KO your fellow sparring partners.

First advice would be to not try to KO your fellow sparring partners.
Didn't read that part. TS is confirmed gym champion. You're the worst type of training partner and should just buy a heavy bag for home.

Didn't read that part. TS is confirmed gym champion. You're the worst type of training partner and should just buy a heavy bag for home.
Lol, sounded pretty ridiculous.

• If you ain't KO-ing, you ain't trainin'
  • tap or snap!

Back