HELP BJJ/GRAPPLING

OuailMMA

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, well how to start this, i been training MMA and grappling for 5 months now, my standup technique is good because i did french savate boxing and kickboxing before, but my ground game is just awful, i train 3 days per week MMA and then i add 2 days of bjj or grappling when i have time.
But my ground game is terrible, how a guy which started later than me with no prior experience can dominate me? i don't know if its the weight or what, its normal as a white belt? i feel bad when someone who has less time dominates me, because when i train i work my ass very hard but some guys dont even come 2 days per week and they just wreck me on the ground.

i'm 6ft and i weigh 68kg, yes my weight is bad but its because im an ectomorph.

i feel humiliated, i always roll with guys around 6-6'3ft and 75-90kg

Is normal. Keep training or don't. I don't see why you think you shouldn't suck. This shit isn't the easiest to master. I've been training for years and I still feel like I should know more than I do.

Keep training and putting in hard work, even go to open mat sessions to get any extra tips and techniques you can, it will all help you in the long run.

This is normal. You're tall and thin. It will take a bit of time for you to learn enough to overcome the strength and weight disadvantage that you have. Size matters a lot in grappling and when you are new it matters even more. Essentially you and your training partners that are new have the same technical knowledge. Therefore, they will be able to be more successful when they grapple you. Eventually it will get to a point that when a bigger/stronger beginner comes in that you will know more than they do and their size won't matter as much. Until then just try to have fun and enjoy what you're doing.

3 months in is perfectly normal to still be bad. Just work at it, and don't let your competitiveness get the better of you, allow yourself to be placed in bad positions, ask questions, try new things, be ambitious, learn to control your legs, try to feel the subtle things like shifting weight, tenseness, looseness. Always watch, try to think ahead, but also pay attention to what you've done in the recent past that has gotten you where you are (think leg placement, hand placement, 1 grip vs another, etc) Most of all stay relaxed, loose, and experiment.

And heed your instructors.

Start calisthenics and add weights. You're scrawny as fuck dude.

Do you take initiative in exchanges or pull guard? If you concede position without ability you're gonna get wrecked.

Start calisthenics and add weights. You're scrawny as fuck dude.

Do you take initiative in exchanges or pull guard? If you concede position without ability you're gonna get wrecked.

I did weight lifting before with a high carb diet. My weight Was 76kg but when i started to do mma my weight lowered to 65-68kg because we do a lot of cardio. No matter what i do i barely gain weight. I dont look like a lanky skinny guy tho i look a bit athletic.

I did weight lifting before with a high carb diet. My weight Was 76kg but when i started to do mma my weight lowered to 65-68kg because we do a lot of cardio. No matter what i do i barely gain weight. I dont look like a lanky skinny guy tho i look a bit athletic.
You need to eat then. Download my fitness pal and you can count your calories from there. You can set it to gain weight too. Most people use it to lose weight. You need to see how much you are actually eating. Maybe you don't eat enough.

You need to eat then. Download my fitness pal and you can count your calories from there. You can set it to gain weight too. Most people use it to lose weight. You need to see how much you are actually eating. Maybe you don't eat enough.

Okay man thanks

I forgot to add that I have thyroid problems acording to a blood analysis i did months ago

oh well there's your problem. thyroids are tricky as fuck.

but yeah, you gotta eat for your basal metabolism PLUS your activity just to maintain weight. i eat 3000 calories on off-days (swimming, lifting, light rolling) and up to 8000 on training days (which are 4-6 hours) and i've lost 20 pounds since christmas.

dont worry about getting beat, just worry about getting better and truly understanding the techniques, how they work, and why they work. itll take time. sometimes, learning how to learn is the most important.

I forgot to add that I have thyroid problems acording to a blood analysis i did months ago
I have a shitty thyroid too. I don't make enough of the hormone and need to take synthroid every morning. You need to follow our dr advice on that. But my initial response is stil the same. You need to eat.

Back